Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Brandon Manning (2 year, $975k AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
He's a #7 defenseman being paid like a #7 defenseman. The hyperbole around Manning is ridiculous. He's not brilliant, but nobody has ever pretended he is.

Hexy has been great on his contracts, it's not hyperbolic to say this is the worst. The deal is what it is, won't hurt the team, but won't help either.

Shadow Flyer

Why So Serious?
Aug 2, 2008
The Interwebs
Vegas being interested in him means nothing. All he has to do is be exposed for the draft which will happen by him being under contract and playing 14 games this year...if he's not drafted then he gets waived for no penalty next year. He's basically the sacrificial lamb so that nobody of actual importance (i.e. Gudas) needs to be exposed

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

This is it, in a nutshell. It's a great insurance move by Hextall, to be honest.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
He's a #7 defenseman being paid like a #7 defenseman. The hyperbole around Manning is ridiculous. He's not brilliant, but nobody has ever pretended he is.

I can think of one poster who has.

It only takes one, Boxcar

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Worst deal by Hextall!! Manning doesn't deserve 2-year deal, but who cares if it is for someone like Manning... :laugh:

When your worst deal is for 7th/8th defenseman, at $975k, it shows that you are doing pretty damn good job. :laugh:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Fans of other teams need to understand what Flyers fans are saying.

Philly HAD to give him 2 years to make sure they have at least 1 Dman UNDER CONTRACT to expose to Vegas. We need to play him 14 games this year...or 40 to AMac. If AMac got hurt, we would have no one to expose....so would have to expose Gudas instead of protecting him.

That's all this is. If there was no expansion, Philly only signs him for 1 year....or maybe not at all. Who knows. But we HAD to have someone to expose to Vegas.

MDZ: no contract....protect if he re-signs.
Ghost: protect
Gudas: protect
Streit: UFA next summer
Schultz: UFA next summer
Provy: obviously protected

AMac: needs to play 40 games to expose to Vegas if Manning doesn't play 14
Manning: needs you play 14 games to expose to Vegas if AMac doesn't play 40

So again....this is just as much an expansion move as it is a hockey move.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Provy won't have to be protected, but yeah.

Manning is the whipping boy for Flyers fans, but he really has done nothing to deserve it.

Nothing apart from getting very sheltered minutes but being awful offensively, poor defensively, and terrible in possession apart from when he was being carried by Gudas.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Nothing apart from getting very sheltered minutes but being awful offensively, poor defensively, and terrible in possession apart from when he was being carried by Gudas.
Please explain how this is Manning's fault or how he deserves the criticism. He's not the coach or GM. Hate them for it, but Manning does not determine his role or usage. He goes out when it's his turn and does his best - for which I give him credit (as much as I admit it would be better if he gets a pressbox view of all the games).

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
Manning is the whipping boy for Flyers fans, but he really has done nothing to deserve it.

He was an undrafted WHL UFA who played his way up through the farm to the big club. He did everything they asked, sticks up for teammates and played pretty well in the playoffs. He's not big, fast or skilled, but he's in the NHL for now. He can easily be waived to the AHL anytime as the younger prospects come up, or stay in the lineup if Hexy deals some D. The two year deal discourages waiver claims.

They always seem to need one. The 1st one I seem to remember was Tom Bladon to a certain extent. But even then it was not as bad as it is now. Imagine how much Bladon would be making in today's NHL? Back to Manning, he is a basic meat and potatoes player who fills a role and is a good team guy.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
Please explain how this is Manning's fault or how he deserves the criticism. He's not the coach or GM. Hate them for it, but Manning does not determine his role or usage. He goes out when it's his turn and does his best - for which I give him credit (as much as I admit it would be better if he gets a pressbox view of all the games).

What parts of being awful offensively, poor defensively, and terrible in possession are not his fault?

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
Provy won't have to be protected, but yeah.

You and I disagree on pretty much everything you chucked out there to stick on the wall.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011

He was an undrafted WHL UFA who played his way up through the farm to the big club. He did everything they asked, sticks up for teammates and played pretty well in the playoffs. He's not big, fast or skilled, but he's in the NHL for now. He can easily be waived to the AHL anytime as the younger prospects come up, or stay in the lineup if Hexy deals some D. The two year deal discourages waiver claims.

BINGO Larry

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Good guy to call up when we have injuries. I hope we have a better option for our starting #6, though. Nothing against that signing. Depth. Decent #7.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
Really? He has really flourished in Philly, at least from what I've watched. I think the flyers would be best to hang on to him, at least until Provorov, Sanheim, Morin develop and gain some NHL experience and overtake him.

I just feel he would be a very good trade chip. MDZ has played well for the Flyers, but with the young talent coming in the next few years I think he could be a nice asset that's all.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Good guy to call up when we have injuries. I hope we have a better option for our starting #6, though. Nothing against that signing. Depth. Decent #7.

If Ivan Provorov makes the roster out of training camp he'd be the #6 defensemen to start the season.

MacDonald and Manning can be #7 and #8

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If Provorov makes the team as expected, and no other defensemen is moved out, Manning will be the Flyers 8th defensemen.

He was signed simply so the Flyers can assure themselves they reach meet the expansion exposure requirements.

They need MacDonald to play 40 games or Manning to play 14 games in this upcoming season. If neither of these events occur, they will have to expose Radko Gudas..which they are not about to do obviously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad