Trade: [PHI/BKN] James Harden, Paul Millsap for Ben Simmons, Seth Curry, Andre Drummond, '22 and '27 1sts

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
i feel like this makes brooklyn a better team. still can't see them getting past the bucks, but they're better with simmons+curry than with harden
I would agree but it gives them a much better chance. If Durant can outscore Giannis then I could see Brooklyn advancing but Brooklyn has no way of defending Giannis.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Yeah, bad trade for Philly. They should have just tried to trade Simmons for Sacramento for Haliburton and Hield and that would make them a more complete team. Curry was a really nice complement on that team and he was on a cheap contract. I'm not sure this even moves the needle that much for Philly. Harden is still a ballhog that will take touches away from Embiid and Harris.

Reactions: Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, bad trade for Philly. They should have just tried to trade Simmons for Sacramento for Haliburton and Hield and that would make them a more complete team. Curry was a really nice complement on that team and he was on a cheap contract. I'm not sure this even moves the needle that much for Philly. Harden is still a ballhog that will take touches away from Embiid and Harris.
Harris doesn’t need the ball, he sucks

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I'm pretty happy with this trade. I would have preferred something with Sac involving Haliburton, which could have given the Sixers a great young backcourt going forward, but there's no doubt that this puts the Sixers firmly in the title conversation. Embiid + Harden has enormous potential. Harden will lessen the pressure on Harris, he's probably better suited as a 3rd option than a 2nd. It will also relieve some of the pressure on Maxey since Harden will surely be running the offense in at least some rotations.

Not crazy about the additional pieces (players and picks) that Morey gave up but most likely none of them are that important, all things considered. And not giving up either Maxey or Thybulle is huge. Also Harden opting in for next season helps the Sixers. So all in all, good deal. And good deal for the Nets too, that is a situation (playing with KD, Irving, and Harris) where he can potentially thrive.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Harden may eventually implode the Sixers but Simmons is not nearly the guy he’s got some of you all thinking he is. He reminds me of that amazing highly picked power forward in hockey who looks amazing and has all the physical tools but he can’t skate. And people hang on to his supposed upside way too long because they are convinced if their coaches can just fix that one thing and if he just decides to work hard enough on it then he’s suddenly going to be a superstar.

It’s not just that Simmons is a technically terrible shooter with an absolute “shrink from responsibility” mentality - it’s that he has put in zero effort, work or self-introspection into becoming a better shooter and more effective player. He’s every bit as bad of a teammate as Harden is. And I have very little faith he’ll ever amount to anything close to what people are amazingly still expecting.

Obviously Harden was about to destroy the Nets from within so probably addition by subtraction from both sides but not sure either team has covered themselves in glory or made a “steal”. It’s simply title or bust the next couple years for both clubs.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The 76ers traded a player who was never going to play another game for them in whom when he last played in a game passed up an open dunk in the 4th quarter for at worst an 3rd team all NBA player :laugh:. Great trade.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Pretty incredible that simply hiring Doc Rivers completely unraveled the promising 76ers.

They were basically unravelled by the time Brett Brown's last year arrived. Simmons had basically shown no progress towards improving the holes in his game and they were in cap difficulties. Doc may be "meh" but Morey has done a good job.

Last edited:

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Am I the only one that thinks this is a MASSIVE W for Brooklyn?

the depth
the youth
the assets
While I agree with your take on the current trade let’s not forget the massive fail on the Nets original trade for Harden.

They gave up:
Jarrett Allen
Caris Levert
3 unprotected 1st round picks
4 years of additional 1st round pick swaps to Houston

Wow!
Might be as bad as the Pierce and Garnett trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad