Phenomenal Hockey

Calirose

Mar 31, 2012
6ix
Hey Kings fan here, but first and foremost, a big hockey fan.

I just wanted to express my admiration and congratulations! I have been fortunate enough to watch your last two games in full (Stl and Det). Boy was I impressed! What exciting and tantalizing hockey. The whole broadcast was a pleasure. The quality has clearly surpassed CBC coverage and the hockey is wonderful! That Nash to St. Louis goal was one of the highlights but even beyond the scoring they play a thrilling brand of puck.

Thanks!!

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

I just wanted to express my admiration and congratulations! I have been fortunate enough to watch your last two games in full (Stl and Det). Boy was I impressed! What exciting and tantalizing hockey. The whole broadcast was a pleasure. The quality has clearly surpassed CBC coverage and the hockey is wonderful! That Nash to St. Louis goal was one of the highlights but even beyond the scoring they play a thrilling brand of puck.

Thanks!!

Thank you.

Much more enjoyable to watch than the 6 goalie system employed by the prior coach

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
It was interference on Dwight King.

url-19.gif

:laugh:

Never forget...

Last edited by a moderator:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
For those interested in my mathy ways (all of you, I'm sure), the King goal dropped the Rangers chances of winning the series from 43.85% to 38.30%, by my estimation.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Thanks!!

Classy post. Thanks! It has been SO much more fun to watch after years of Torts hockey.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Can't.....breathe :laugh:

On topic, AV style hockey is awesome. It is fast and efficient. I disliked. Tortorella's style of hockey, the shot blocking and "jam" (what ever that was) was kind of boring to watch. AV hockey is a breath of fresh air.

Its actually just hockey. Torts believed that the Rangers should not even try that kind of hockey, you know, the regular hockey.
Renney also had his milder version which was coined '5 in the picture' meaning if you took a photograph from the blueline toward the Rangers net in the middle of the ice, when the Rangers were besieged by the attacking team and were defending, you would see all 5 (or 6 if it was not a PK) including the goalie, all in that little laneway from high to low slot. All would proudly wear bruises from the puck battering. It was completely unsustainable, and rarely exhilerating, and thankfully it died.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks. I actually missed almost every game this season, don't think I've seen one beginning to end. Just too much stuff going on. I'd be curious to hear from Rangers fans if it's more entertaining than last year. Last year the main boards were calling us boring.

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
Its actually just hockey. Torts believed that the Rangers should not even try that kind of hockey, you know, the regular hockey.
Renney also had his milder version which was coined '5 in the picture' meaning if you took a photograph from the blueline toward the Rangers net in the middle of the ice, when the Rangers were besieged by the attacking team and were defending, you would see all 5 (or 6 if it was not a PK) including the goalie, all in that little laneway from high to low slot. All would proudly wear bruises from the puck battering. It was completely unsustainable, and rarely exhilerating, and thankfully it died.

During the Renney era it was necessary for the most part. We didn't have even close to the offense we have now. Sans the Straka-Nylander-Jagr line.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
During the Renney era it was necessary for the most part. We didn't have even close to the offense we have now. Sans the Straka-Nylander-Jagr line.

My point was that the Renney era stressed shot blocking and no leaving the zone until all was well, but I was really referring to the Tortorella coached teams when I said it was unsustainable and rarely exhilarating.
The Straka-Nylander-Jagr line were the most exciting line in hockey at that time. The balance between defence and an offensive attack that could keep you on the edge of your seat was there during some of the Renney days.

I never bought the argument that the Rangers players were unable to play any type of normal hockey. That is basically what Tortorella would say, that they had to do it this way because they had to. They did not have to, except in his mind.

So yes, the OP is totally correct. The Rangers are damned entertaining playing hockey the way they all grew up playing it, not under the draconian thumb of some boring as **** system.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2