Player Discussion Peyton Krebs C/LW -- Re-signed 2 years, $1.45m AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
He probably thinks he is in the mix for 3C and therefore deserves more than a QO, that's my guess.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He probably thinks he is in the mix for 3C and therefore deserves more than a QO, that's my guess.
After the McLeod trade, the only way he is in the mix for the 3C job is if McLeod ends up being the top 6 acquisition for the summer and he's playing with Cozens or Thompson.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
After the McLeod trade, the only way he is in the mix for the 3C job is if McLeod ends up being the top 6 acquisition for the summer and he's playing with Cozens or Thompson.

Any professional competitive pro player would not be dissuaded by a trade like the McLeod one. Krebs believes in himself and surely thinks he is a better player than McLeod.

If Krebs earns 3C (and it may take 20 games) Ruff will play him there. Ruff isn't going to hold any player back because of a trade that happened.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Any professional competitive pro player would not be dissuaded by a trade like the McLeod one. Krebs believes in himself and surely thinks he is a better player than McLeod.

If Krebs earns 3C (and it may take 20 games) Ruff will play him there. Ruff isn't going to hold any player back because of a trade that happened.
Then why didn't he sign the contract? Maybe he wants to leave or wants a lot of money or a guaranteed role in the top 9? I have no idea what's going on in his head.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Krebs was front-and-centre at FanFest over the weekend, which doesn't sound like a guy who has his bags packed waiting for a call.

Guy has always come across as someone who wants to be in Buffalo.

Semi-related, the certainty some of you have that he has no role in Buffalo is kinda odd when you compare his resume to those of Malenstyn, Lafferty, Aube-Kubel and McLeod. Hell, any slippage from Benson and Greenway and they're not out of reach either.

People seem to have swallowed a narrative that those guys are elite 4th-liners and Krebs is just a failed prospect/fringe NHLer.

Yes, he probably is the 13th forward at the moment, but the gap between #13 and a 3rd-line spot on this roster ain't that much.

Especially when you know Lindy will not hesitate to use his extra forwards as a lever to keep the rest honest.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Krebs was front-and-centre at FanFest over the weekend, which doesn't sound like a guy who has his bags packed waiting for a call.

Guy has always come across as someone who wants to be in Buffalo.

Semi-related, the certainty some of you have that he has no role in Buffalo is kinda odd when you compare his resume to those of Malenstyn, Lafferty, Aube-Kubel and McLeod. Hell, any slippage from Benson and Greenway and they're not out of reach either.

People seem to have swallowed a narrative that those guys are elite 4th-liners and Krebs is just a failed prospect/fringe NHLer.

Yes, he probably is the 13th forward at the moment, but the gap between #13 and a 3rd-line spot on this roster ain't that much.

Especially when you know Lindy will not hesitate to use his extra forwards as a lever to keep the rest honest.
So why doesn't he sign if he wants to be in Buffalo and is willing to fight for his place in the sun. He has to sign and prove that he is good. So far he hasn't been good and he still hasn't signed.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Last interview I saw with Krebs he said him and the team are definitely going to bring a cup to Buffalo so I think he’s as committed as anyone.

The team has no plans to trade him, they lose all ability to sit guys and make them
Accountable if they do.

I don’t even think they have him penciled in as the 13th. They’re going to use that 13th spot to motivate and punish. I can see all but very few forwards be candidates to sit any given night.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Last interview I saw with Krebs he said him and the team are definitely going to bring a cup to Buffalo so I think he’s as committed as anyone.

The team has no plans to trade him, they lose all ability to sit guys and make them
Accountable if they do.

I don’t even think they have him penciled in as the 13th. They’re going to use that 13th spot to motivate and punish. I can see all but very few forwards be candidates to sit any given night.
A Cup ? Buddy, we just want to see the playoffs lol

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Then why didn't he sign the contract? Maybe he wants to leave or wants a lot of money or a guaranteed role in the top 9? I have no idea what's going on in his head.

He may feel like he is worth more than the absolute minimum? And is a bit insulted by the contract offered.

Maybe he is showing the wife that he can take a stand. Impress the missus.

• Haha
Reactions: DapperCam

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
He turns 24 in January and has yet to establish a clear role for himself. He's odd-man out among the current forwards, with Kulich, Rosen, and Ostlund looking to compete for a roster spot. Several quality forward prospects are lined up behind them. Krebs is in a very challenging situation if he hopes for a long-term future with the Sabres.

My guess is that him and his agent feel he hasn't been given a fair shot, which isn't totally unreasonable. Unfortunately for them, his leverage is close to zero.

Krebs is probably a goner. Hopefully he lands with a bottom-feeder who can offer him a long look at a middle-6 position.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Krebs has no leverage. I think Adams is content to sit back and watch camp and see if a prospect can "take someone's spot".

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
$1.45M x 2 for Krebs? Not that we need the cap space, but he certainly did not earn that type of raise IMO. Perhaps they're betting on a breakout this year, which also means he's likely in the starting lineup.

Who sits Game 1 will be something I'll be watching closely. It's quite intriguing this year for the first time in a while.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
I didn't see Krebs making the roster so the extension is a curious one to me. Maybe they think he can still be a 4C (Lafferty was better utilised as a winger in Vancouver) or compete for a wing spot in the Bottom 6, in which case I probably see Aube-Kubel as the 13th forward. This is all assuming a prospect doesn't surprise and make the roster to push someone out, which is definitely within the realm of possibility for a few guys like Kulich.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Another Adams special. Player has no leverage and yet they get exactly what they want.

And for 2 years is even weirder.

You spent all summer pushing the guy out of the lineup and now you are paying him like he's going to be a regular forward.

For a team with a ton of unused cap space, they sure like to waste a lot of it on deals like this.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
2 years and a decent raise for a guy who was barely hanging onto a roster spot at the end of last season, and is likely to be in Ruff's doghouse sooner rather than later if he doesn't break his trend of constantly passing the puck to the other team and refusing to shoot from somewhat dangerous areas. Way to go, Kev.

Reactions: BFLO

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Another Adams special. Player has no leverage and yet they get exactly what they want.

And for 2 years is even weirder.

You spent all summer pushing the guy out of the lineup and now you are paying him like he's going to be a regular forward.

For a team with a ton of unused cap space, they sure like to waste a lot of it on deals like this.
Leaving the trade door open.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad