Proposal: Petry to TOR (trade deadline)

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
If you haven't noticed, Bergevin is unable to trade for Centers, so he trades for wingers with "C" upside.

Nylander is just that, a C/RW. Right-handed shot.
Montreal's two "weaknesses" one could say at the F position would be C and RW, so in either scenario, that's a plus.
As for the "cap space" you are so outraged to provide Toronto with, Montreal isn't using it this year, nor the next year since nobody else is up for a big raise.
So really, that's simply putting it to use in getting greater value back.

With all of the guys on IR back, Mtl would be at 27 Roster players at the moment, they likely will want to keep Deslauriers and some of those extras will only be traded near the deadline, so that means waiver wires for 2-4 players, whatever way you handle it. That trade allows Mtl to drop to 26 roster players. Then you send Kotkaniemi you're down to 25. So the number of waived guys drop to 2 from 4.

Potentially waived players:
Deslauriers - May or may not clear waivers. (A team with multiple injuries and inexperienced rookies waisting their time on their 4th line would likely pick him up.)
Scherbak - Will be picked up if put on waivers, just because of the upside.
De La Rose - Only player I see potentially clearing waivers.
Plecanek - Will not be placed on waivers.
Alzner - Unlikely Bergevin buries his contract in his 2nd year of a contract, he'll give him all of the chance in the world to come back to form.
Peca - Was just signed, has been playing well, unlikely they put him on waivers as he'll get picked up immediately.

So anyway you put it, trading Petry for a guys 10 years younger on an 8 years deal who'll provide 65-85pts/season either at 2C or 1RW/2RW is a great move since you already have Weber, Juulsen, Fleury/Brook and a plethora of bottom pairing guys to play on the right side in the meantime.

Our RW depth:

Gallagher
Drouin (plays both wings)
Lehkonen
Armia
Shaw
Scherbak
Suzuki (next year)

We already have only 4 spots for (potentially) 7 NHL ready RW next year. Sure, Nylander would most likely be our 1RW but I don’t believe he’s a C and I don’t think Bergevin think this way either. Acquiring him is a luxury we don’t need. We have other holes to fill (LHD being one of them).

Also, we might not need the cap space this year or next year, but that doesn’t mean we have to freely give it away. Just because we can doesn’t mean we should, especially if it’s to help a divisional rival. When you have cap space, you don’t give it away. You never know, another Teuvo Teravainen type of deal might be available for Montreal to jump on it.

Reactions: Narwian

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In general you can only really use a good strategy to build a strong team, a cup contender is built when a strong team gets a little luck.

I do hope Montreal can continue to improve, the biggest question mark is whether or not Bergevin will make the right decisions when it comes time to make them. Its a lot more fun watching a bunch of young fast players being competitive in a losing season than it is watching an aging group trying to scrape their way in. I think the current team will be a little surprising to start, then the grind will set in. It's what happens when this occurs that will make a difference. What Montreal needs to do, is assess their guys, get assets for the guys that aren't part of the long term plan, maybe let Kotkieniemi go to playing in the AHL or JR, or in Finland if he is starting to wear down, let him dominate somewhere. If the losses start coming, do as much as you can to shield the positive pieces from the negativity, so they can come back next year and build on it. This also coincides with not shooting yourself in the foot with the draft pick by finishing 8th from last and getting a few extra points by holding onto guys that aren't part of the plan, and maybe overplaying someone like Kotkieniemi.

Montreal's biggest problem is the division they are in. Toronto, Tampa, Boston are good teams and big parts of those rosters are either still in their prime or pretty young. Florida was easily the best non-playoff team last year, and has a lot of good young pieces. Buffalo is further ahead in a rebuild just based on their biggest pieces, and Detroit is closer to being torn down, had a great draft as well, and is pretty much destined for another top 5 pick. Ottawa is the team that is the farthest away from being competitive, as they have a pretty middling prospect pool, and no first this year.

Montreal needs another great draft. They could be in a good position to have that kind of draft, as they currently have 10 picks in this draft, and can likely add at least another couple. They need to avoid falling behind other teams in their division in the rebuild process, because trying to get into the playoffs in the Atlantic a few years from now could be very very tough if Teams like Detroit and Buffalo keep adding pieces as well.

1) I agree with your "A strong team gets stronger with a little luck in a draft year". The Habs have Price and Weber with a young core behind them. How good can we be after we insert Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Suzuki, Brook, etc down the road? Not sure but I don't think many believe we would be better than Tampa or Toronto.

2) What is Bergevin's plan? It's clear to me. Rebuild on the fly. He plans on keeping certain assets and trying for a playoff spot. He plans on hitting with 10-20 range picks in the draft. I don't believe his plan is for another top 10 or top 5 pick. They want to rebound. I think middle of the pack strategy is for fools.

3) Kotkaniemi back to Finland is my 1st choice. I won't be upset if he makes the team but I prefer to let him develop gradually and keep the pressure of Montreal off him as much as I can. A lot can change in 12 months. Habs need to be careful with needs at center vs letting a prospect grow. I prefer to insert Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, and Poehling at the same time so they can share the spotlight and pressure to be honest. Next season!

4) I entertain trading Byron, Petry, Tatar, Shaw, Danault, Schlemko. Not all have to be traded but they are getting in our way from more top 5 or top 10 picks in the next two drafts. And they are not going to be impact players when the Habs potentially re-surface as cup contenders is 3+ years. The other factor is they are taking up ice time from Scherbak and DLR where we can't measure how good or bad they are.

5) Price and Weber. They will be fine for the next 4 or 5 years. Then who knows. Weber is not likely to be around past 5 years when his salary drops to $1M at age 38. Price should be able to maintain a high level for a while yet. I have no problem with these two leading a young core with Gallagher.

Habs have a very solid prospect pool. We have both quality and quantity. The is a cluster of grade B prospects where some will surprise and some will disappoint. However, if the Habs are re-surfacing as a potential cup contender in 3+ years, we need more grade A prospect injection

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why do so many habs fans want to trade Petry?

Same reason why we traded Patch. To help another team, Help Patch cause he was drowning in Montreal, and help the Habs in our rebuild. It's a win for everybody. Same for Petry. He has 3 years in term left at a solid AAV for what you get. For a team like the Leafs or another other team looking for a above average top 4D, he could help them solidify their top 4D. He can log big minutes, score 10+ goals, and he does a lot of the things well that coaches look for.

Habs are also loaded at RD... Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Brook, Fleury. Juulsen looks good and Brook and Fleury might be ready sooner rather than later. Petry is the logical guy to move to get futures and help another team get better in their current cup window.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I just don't think it's realistic that Weber will just be back and able to skate etc this season after missing so much time. Not very confident how effective he will be after so much time off. I'm sure next season will basically be back to normal.
If Canadiens lose Weber it will be quite a loss to the organization. Be hard to overcome. For he has helped young defensemen like Mete and Juulsen greatly. He is a great leader, plus a #1 NHL D-Man. Worst case scenario Weber comes back and is a #3-4 defenseman. If this does happen I see the Habs trading him a few years down the road for a first round pick.

In the end, I think you will see Subban back here after he hits UFA. He always like Montreal and be different regime in place in 4 years. I would guess could be Joel Bouchard as he will graduated to the big club by then. Subban be only 33, so still tread left on the tire.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
MTL:
W. Nylander
Horton

TOR:
Petry at 3M AAV
Charles Hudon
Colombus 2019 2nd round pick (Should be top 50)

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Montreal takes on $7.8M/year of dead salary for the first 2 years + $2.5M for the 3rd year due to retention on Petry + Horton's LTIR salary (uninsured).
Add to that the fact that Mtl takes on an extended Nylander at roughly 7.25M AAV for 8 years.

Toronto gets that top 4 RHD defenseman they need and a guy with half of Nylander's production for league minimum salary. (Combined cap hit of $3.65M in the first year, likely around the 6-6.5M AAV combined beyond this season.)

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm: Let the hate begin.

I doubt MOntreal would trade Weber to a rival like Toronto though. Unless Habs are out of playoff picture. Probably get a first for Petry, plus a decent prospect. Something like we got for Rivet.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Same reason why we traded Patch. To help another team, Help Patch cause he was drowning in Montreal, and help the Habs in our rebuild. It's a win for everybody. Same for Petry. He has 3 years in term left at a solid AAV for what you get. For a team like the Leafs or another other team looking for a above average top 4D, he could help them solidify their top 4D. He can log big minutes, score 10+ goals, and he does a lot of the things well that coaches look for.

Habs are also loaded at RD... Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Brook, Fleury. Juulsen looks good and Brook and Fleury might be ready sooner rather than later. Petry is the logical guy to move to get futures and help another team get better in their current cup window.

I understand. I don't know if he's worth Nylander though. I think we could give you a legit top 6 scoring winger though.

I think it's possible we build up Kapanen to a 60-70 point player; get that social proof and flip him.

Surprisingly Montreal-Toronto could be good trading partners. Toronto loaded with forward talent and Montreal with good defensive talent.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I understand. I don't know if he's worth Nylander though. I think we could give you a legit top 6 scoring winger though.

I think it's possible we build up Kapanen to a 60-70 point player; get that social proof and flip him.

Surprisingly Montreal-Toronto could be good trading partners. Toronto loaded with forward talent and Montreal with good defensive talent.

If you are quoting me, It was Petry+ for Nylander but I don't see this as a good return for the Habs based on our team needs. We no longer need fringe center/winger type players. If you want to talk a 1st and one of Liljegren or Sandin, I think this sparks the Habs interest. I do think Petry is a good fit if he fits into your cap after this season. I'd even consider salary retention to help you out. But the conversation is only sparked with the 1st and one of Liljegren and Sandin. Habs are not going to liquidate Petry. We will consider moving him if we can address our future needs.

Finding a legit top 4D won't be easy. The price is high to get an asset like this because so many teams are looking for it.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Don't see Montreal having much interest in Kapanen. For one, considering Toronto's C strength, I can't see Toronto credibly building up any winger that doesn't have a long personal resume (see: the Crosby/Malkin Pens). The other point is that Montreal would only really want a 1st liner if they're targeting a winger (which is unlikely). Montreal has winger depth for days.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

Last thing we need is Kapanen. We're looking for LD.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Any trade for petry needs to have a high pick or a A prospect who will be exempt from the expansion draft!

A late 1st and start with Liljegren. Don't go below Sandin. Leafs will fight as hard as they can to keep their prospects on D but if they want a proven top 4D like Petry on a 3 year decent term, they are not getting him for cheap from the Habs.

Depends the options the Leafs have at the deadline. What Defenseman are pending UFA's this year and not on playoff contenders?

Blues: If they struggle and are a bubble playoff team, maybe Bouwmeester would be a good fit?
Stars: Methot?

Not sure there are many pending UFA options where they get an upgrade on what they already have. Ideally, I think they prefer to go after a pending UFA cause this is the season where they still have cap space. Adding Petry would require the Habs taking on salary in order for them to fit him in more easily starting next season.

I also think they would prefer a right handed shooting D man too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benstheman

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
A late 1st and start with Liljegren. Don't go below Sandin. Leafs will fight as hard as they can to keep their prospects on D but if they want a proven top 4D like Petry on a 3 year decent term, they are not getting him for cheap from the Habs.

Depends the options the Leafs have at the deadline. What Defenseman are pending UFA's this year and not on playoff contenders?

Blues: If they struggle and are a bubble playoff team, maybe Bouwmeester would be a good fit?
Stars: Methot?

Not sure there are many pending UFA options where they get an upgrade on what they already have. Ideally, I think they prefer to go after a pending UFA cause this is the season where they still have cap space. Adding Petry would require the Habs taking on salary in order for them to fit him in more easily starting next season.

I also think they would prefer a right handed shooting D man too.

Nothing against Liljigren but I’d rather take my chances on Sandin. We are stacked at RHD and adding another isn’t ideal. I would prefer to target a young LHD who’s in his D+1 or D+2 and has shown progression along with a late first.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nothing against Liljigren but I’d rather take my chances on Sandin. We are stacked at RHD and adding another isn’t ideal. I would prefer to target a young LHD who’s in his D+1 or D+2 and has shown progression along with a late first.

I was under the understanding that Liljegren was LD but you are correct, he shoots right. Is a late first and Sandin enough for 3 years of Petry? I know the Leafs think so but wondering what others think?

Also, why has Sandin not played a AHL game yet? Or has he? I don't even see him on their roster? What's up with this

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
What about Petry (2.5 mil retained) for 2 firsts?

Petry at 3mil for 3 years should have decent value

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I was under the understanding that Liljegren was LD but you are correct, he shoots right. Is a late first and Sandin enough for 3 years of Petry? I know the Leafs think so but wondering what others think?

Also, why has Sandin not played a AHL game yet? Or has he? I don't even see him on their roster? What's up with this

He’s injured. I think he skated yesterday and he should be close to playing his first AHL game soon.

Sandin had a good first camp (much better than Lil’s) but that doesn’t mean he’s better or progressed during the summer. I would like to see him play 20-25 AHL games before talking about his progression from last year.

To me, if Juulsen keep playing like he does right now, a 1st and Sandin is enough for me to pull the trigger

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He’s injured. I think he skated yesterday and he should be close to playing his first AHL game soon.

Sandin had a good first camp (much better than Lil’s) but that doesn’t mean he’s better or progressed during the summer. I would like to see him play 20-25 AHL games before talking about his progression from last year.

To me, if Juulsen keep playing like he does right now, a 1st and Sandin is enough for me to pull the trigger

As the thread title indicates... at the deadline. If Petry to the Leafs is a legit option for both teams, we will know what kind of development year Sandin has. He is a 18 year old kid playing in the AHL as a defenseman. It won't be easy for him

And I had a hunch he was injured. Makes no sense to send him down to the AHL and he sits.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What about Petry (2.5 mil retained) for 2 firsts?

Petry at 3mil for 3 years should have decent value

I'm willing to talk retention but what do the Habs get for it? Where did you up the offer? Are the Habs retaining salary cause you think Petry is overpaid or are we retaining salary cause the Leafs need the cap space? If you think Petry is overpaid, we have no deal. $2.5M retention is a big deal for any team. If the Habs are trading Petry, it's not because he sucks and not worth his remaining contract. It's because we want futures and to allow Petry to help another team out where we are stacked at RD.

With no retention: Petry for a 2019 late 1st and Sandin.

With retention (to make it work for the Leafs): Petry for a 2019 late 1st, Sandin, and a 2020 2nd.

Remember this before you think I am being unreasonable. My asking price for Patch was less than what Bergevin was asking for and got!

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
MTL:
W. Nylander
Horton

TOR:
Petry at 3M AAV
Charles Hudon
Colombus 2019 2nd round pick (Should be top 50)

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Montreal takes on $7.8M/year of dead salary for the first 2 years + $2.5M for the 3rd year due to retention on Petry + Horton's LTIR salary (uninsured).
Add to that the fact that Mtl takes on an extended Nylander at roughly 7.25M AAV for 8 years.

Toronto gets that top 4 RHD defenseman they need and a guy with half of Nylander's production for league minimum salary. (Combined cap hit of $3.65M in the first year, likely around the 6-6.5M AAV combined beyond this season.)

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm: Let the hate begin.

Yuck yuck yuck. That’s gross from a Toronto perspective.

Petry as the main piece for Nylander?

That’s about as unrealistic a proposal you’d find on HF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad