Proposal: Petry for Leddy - MTL and DET Swap

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jul 6, 2016
Petry has still many seasons on his contract

Leddy will be UFA next July.... So Habs can drop him easily.

Wings won't do it... Unless habs add something significant or keep % of Petry's salary.

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
Petry has still many seasons on his contract

Leddy will be UFA next July.... So Habs can drop him easily.

Wings won't do it... Unless habs add something significant or keep % of Petry's salary.

Why would the Habs do this or add anything to deal Petry? They're dead last in the league and they want to pick up Leddy for 3ish months for a premium? This really doesn't make sense for either team.

Jul 6, 2016
Why would the Habs do this or add anything to deal Petry? They're dead last in the league and they want to pick up Leddy for 3ish months for a premium? This really doesn't make sense for either team.

Petry has the potential to rebound with a new team, especially one in his home state. Habs would save $ to sign some UFA next July.

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
How is this a hot take? Habs would be dumb to unload him at his lowest value . He has been beyond putrid this season and literally cost his team games. They shouldn’t be in any rush to trade Petry

Habs/Gorton would not deal him unless it makes sense and this does not make sense. The fact that he looks bad on an AHL level team ravaged by Covid shouldn't raise any eyebrows among the NHL GMs. The guy still has a lot to offer but he'd look much better on a contender as an elite 3-4 but his 6.25/season makes that highly unlikely unless Habs eat a good chunk of that salary.

Jul 6, 2016
Habs/Gorton would not deal him unless it makes sense and this does not make sense. The fact that he looks bad on an AHL level team ravaged by Covid shouldn't raise any eyebrows among the NHL GMs. The guy still has a lot to offer but he'd look much better on a contender as an elite 3-4 but his 6.25/season makes that highly unlikely unless Habs eat a good chunk of that salary.

Petry is bad since Game ONE when the line up was almost complete with NHL level players and no COVID.

Reactions: Halakitlikethat

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
I could see them moving him in the summer or potentially during the season next year especially if he starts to play better . You also have to wonder if he requests a trade at any point considering the trajectory of the Habs for the next few years .

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
I could see them moving him in the summer or potentially during the season next year especially if he starts to play better . You also have to wonder if he requests a trade at any point considering the trajectory of the Habs for the next few years .
He could request a trade but I don't think he has/Gorton could work something in the off season. I'd be hesitant to make any trade which would cost the habs anything other than salary right now. They need a full rebuild.

Jul 6, 2016
Have a look at the lineup from the end of the previous season and tell me he had the same level of talent on this team this year.

And so what ? The guy has 4 points ! Even Wideman or Niku have more.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
He could request a trade but I don't think he has/Gorton could work something in the off season. I'd be hesitant to make any trade which would cost the habs anything other than salary right now. They need a full rebuild.
Yeah I wouldn’t want to be retaining anything in trading any of these vets . Gorton will have to be smart. If I was a betting man , I would think Petry will play that whole contract in Montreal unless he wants out .

Reactions: Drive425

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Petry is a #2 aging Def . He is clearly better than what we saw this year. I wouldn’t sell low on him. We have plenty to trade this year ; Chariot, Lehkonen, Kulak, Toffoli. I would wait in the off-season or next year before trading him.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I wouldnt think of trading Petry this year. Habs need bodies on defense next year and I don't want to see any of the young prospects thrown into the fire.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
What about something around Hronek instead of Leddy?

He's younger and would fit better in Habs' rebuild. Plus he's a RHD.
Why would we deal Hronek for Petry? Look at Petry's # with Edmonton they sucked. Petry didn't start putting up points until he landed in Montreal Hroneks first 4 seasons are far better then Petry's point wise and it's not even close. Not trading a 24 year old RHD for a 34 year old RHD that doesn't even fit our rebuild timeline.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
But you also have to acknowledge you don’t trade a guy when he’s in the middle of his, “terrible half season”. And if you do pull the trigger, you need to fully expect a lousy return.

if the Habs actually want to trade Petry, Gallagher and Price this season, the Habs should expect to do very poorly in those trades.
it would be much wiser to wait till next year with petry and price . there far better than the value they portray now .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad