Injury Report: Petr Mrazek (Groin, game to game)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Those favoring McBackup, think long-term. If Mrazek wasn't a difference up until the injury? Maybe. There's serious potential to alienate a youngish, UFA at the most important position, whom several other teams would be happy to scoop up, if RBA decides to go with the guy who was good against the Islanders but was not the difference in the series for Carolina.

And let's not pretend the Game 1 shutout/Bailey breakaway stuff didn't happen. Mrazek singlehandedly stole home ice with that performance and took the pressure off, leaving McBackup walking into far less than a pressure cooker.

Color me more impressed with Mrazek taking down the Caps in 7 on the road and the Game 1 shutout of the Isles than McBackup's effort to finish off New York.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm kinda surprised we're debating this. Mrazek is the 27-year-old horse with a history of coming up big on big stages, and who won a big Game 7 in Washington, and was on track to shut down the Islanders. McElhinney is a 35-year-old career backup who became the oldest goalie to start -- and win -- a playoff game. Plus, all Mrazek did to lose his job was to strain his groin. Going back to Mrazek is a no-brainer, as far as I'm concerned.

And I know Mrazek doesn't have true No. 1 regular-season stats, but he's been excellent in the playoffs in two previous appearances as well, and has a long history of big-game goaltending going back to juniors.

Mrazek is the man right now. The guys clearly love his energy, and he's stepped up his game in a big way. I'm glad that we have Mac, obviously, and I don't doubt that he'll be needed again. There's a time for his steady hand. But that's not Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Final.
I started debating it, much like I'm assuming you proceeded to do after being so surprised, because someone was wrong on the internet. I agree Mrazek is the choice.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
*THUD THUD THUD*

According to Czech press Mrázek felt 120%.

That said, if Mrazek is healthy, going back to him is an easy choice IMO. As @RodTheBawd said, if Mrazek isn't quite 100% or is rusty you have a great backup who is comfortable in his role ready to go.

I think this is a case where you go with who brought you. And Mrazek is a major reason this team is in the playoffs at all as well as making it past Washington.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Don't make the mistake the Leafs made down the stretch last year , you don't rush your starter back in when the McBackup if pulling the train , in this league you ride the hot goalie until he falters and don't think McStarter now doesn't want to prove exactly that against the Bruins he should have met in the first round last year . If he falters you will have your starter chomping at the bit to prove why he's the starter if he doesn't falter he pulls a Tim Thomas and wins you the cup .

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Don't make the mistake the Leafs made down the stretch last year , you don't rush your starter back in when the McBackup if pulling the train , in this league you ride the hot goalie until he falters and don't think McStarter now doesn't want to prove exactly that against the Bruins he should have met in the first round last year . If he falters you will have your starter chomping at the bit to prove why he's the starter if he doesn't falter he pulls a Tim Thomas and wins you the cup .

Or you just put yourself down 1-0 for shits and giggles, told the guy who punched your playoff ticket that a very mild groin strain is akin to giving up a 6-spot on 20 shots and now you're back to bargain bin diving for a #1 this off-season.

Did everyone erase Game 1 of the lsles series from their minds? Ffs!

Mrazek is being a good dude about this issue because he was probably good to go for Game 3, but after he set the stage with that singlehsinglehandedly in Game 1 and McBackup sealed the deal in Game 2, the coaches knew they had the luxury of babying whatever ailed Mrazek as they headed to Raleigh with a mighty comfortable 2-0 lead.

Reactions: Unsustainable

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It's interesting. McElhinney had great numbers, but I don't think he had to make a substantial number of 10 bell saves. A couple per game, sure, but nothing insane to me. He was calm as would be expected, and easily kept us in all games he played, but I didn't feel like he was just in the zone stopping tons of shots that he shouldn't. They took their time with Mrazek to get healthy, he's been great as well, I'd move back to him.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad