Peterborough Petes 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Pete’s probably saw London got an OA goalie and they could be playing it safe with sztuska- not risking any injuries. I would assume he gets traded maybe next week? Not sure the team though. thought for sure London would be the team but the price must’ve been too high.
Who are they trading him to at this point? London was the obvious team. Assuming it's true they want a 3rd round pick, I don't know who in the league pays the price.

At the same time, Bowen was great tonight, so...

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Who are they trading him to at this point? London was the obvious team. Assuming it's true they want a 3rd round pick, I don't know who in the league pays the price.

At the same time, Bowen was great tonight, so...
If he isn’t picked up by an OHL team for whatever reason he will absolutely be picked up by one of the WHL/QMJHL teams.

I don’t know sarnias situation with the OA’s but I believe they could use a goalie. That may be a team they could look at for a trade

Reactions: Section5Petes

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I agree that Bowen was fantastic but I strongly disagree that the team let him down, this young team gave it everything they had against a very strong Oshawa team and took the game to overtime. Let's give these kids some credit.
The Petes battled hard. Right now Oshawa reminds me of Petes early in 22-23, the whole is less than the sum of its parts. It will get going.

I've heard McCallum is injured and might be out a while. I assume Faulkner is as well because you wouldn't dress Marentette over him at forward. Assuming those two are injured and with Cadorin being reassigned, the Petes only have 11 healthy forwards. The questionable roster decisions continue to hamper this roster.

I will say both Levac and Partridge played great games at centre tonight. I've questioned whether either are OHL players this year but they both played very strong games tonight. I hope it continues and they prove me wrong.

And I don't think it's shiny new toy syndrome, but... I think Gowan is going to be so, so good in this league. His composure and breakout passes for a 16 year old are way ahead of where you would expect.

Reactions: Leviathan899

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Anyone know why McCallum and Faulkner are out ?
Not sure on Faulkner but McCallum is injury related from the hit he took in training camp. It has lingered all season and now it is at a point where he can’t push through it anymore. He is getting it checked out by doctors tomorrow. Potentially some bad long term injury news for the Petes which would really hurt this offence.

Also, Joe Cadorin has been sent to the Pickering Panthers of the OJHL. He passed through waivers

Reactions: Zebra

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Is it a personal issue between the coach and cadorin cause he's an oilers in my opinion

Ohler i meant
It’s gotta be a personal thing. He really hasn’t been given that much of a chance to show what he can do. But clearly they just don’t like him in the system.

So much for Mike Oke calling him the next Tucker Robertson…

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I have to comment on Oke-his behaviour was modified and improved.
He acted much more coach like -no tantrums, no screaming fits or anything untoward.
I felt his behaviour tonight was more reflective of his position as assistant (or associate) coach of one of the most respected franchises in junior hockey.

Also the Petes are different team when they are not constantly on the PK.
Without Maccallum I thought we’d be struggling but it was the opposite-no penalties to kill off and we were able to play hockey.

Should be a good game tomorrow night in Oshawa.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Also the Petes are different team when they are not constantly on the PK.
I have no issues with how tonight's game was called but the play wasn't significantly different from every other game this year, they just called a lot fewer penalties. Would like to see more consistency game to game but I get it and would prefer it called like tonight, as long as there are no cheapo calls that turn the game.

Also, I know Todd has been around a while as a linesperson but tonight may be the first game I can remember with a female referee (Senuk) and female (Todd) on the lines.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Taylor at this lo
It's been a weird start to the season and I think that as much as the losses are why people are a little more disappointed than you'd expect when we all knew it was going to be a rebuilding season.

Right from training camp there were some interesting roster decisions made (or not made) which led to the mess early on with too many goalies and overagers.

The teams best chance to win was always going to be Sztuska in net and stealing games but they made him a healthy scratch the first three games and I've heard that relationship between team, teammates and management was/is really strained as a result.

Then all of a sudden out of nowhere he starts game four and has managed to get in some more games as overagers (Melee, Lefebvre ) keep getting suspended.

Which is another issue - complete lack of discipline early on leading to so many PPs. Now, they tend to balance out and the Petes have had lots of PP opps as well but their PP has never been great under Wilson, even less so this year, where the team embarrassingly has allowed more short handed goals against (5) than have power play goals for (4). Combine this with a league leading 10 power play goals against and it's just been a special teams disaster.

Oh, also, Caden Taylor has been an abject disaster defensively and Carson Cameron including preseason is -20 in 10 games.

Aside from special teams, the strained relationship/strange treatment of last year's MVP, the total lack of discipline, the questionable roster/lineup decisions, the not great starts by two lynchpins of the rebuild and the two best veteran forwards being suspended it's been going pretty well.

It was always going to take time and I don't think the long term outlook has changed but it's been hard to see the bright side early on.
Taylor is frustrating to watch as he looks the part and has one heck of a shot/release. But he’s lost away from the puck and looks disinterested half the time. Some crazy turnovers as well, the one which sticks out is game 1 when he threw it right into the middle and onto Pickell’s stick for a goal. You can see he has a lot of talent and will probably score 30 goals a year next year and beyond, but he’s wildly inconsistent imo.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Oshawa is struggling almost as badly as Peterborough is. But given the expectations coming into this year, Oshawa has been by far the biggest disappointment in the league to date.

The Barlow trade has been an absolute disaster for Oshawa. People are finally starting to realize what I was explaining when the deal was first rumoured - - that it was a horrific overpay by Oshawa.

It would not surprise me in the least to see Peterborough split the home-and-home. If by some miracle the Petes sweep both games, Oshawa will have to seriously consider a coaching change before the season get completely out of control.
Let’s cool the jets, it’s far too early to be making any victory laps, especially as Bedkowski hasn’t even played yet. Has Barlow been disappointing so Far? No doubt, and Delisle has started well with Owen Sound. But let’s be honest, Barlow isn’t going to stay cold all season and he was a lot better tonight in Ptbo. He’s going to get 1 soon and then they’ll come in bunches. The whole team looks out of sorts, and I think it’s a combo of many factors, one being the slow trickle of players back from camps and a broken up training camp missing all their best players. Disappointing start for sure but it’s 9 games in. The season doesn’t begin until December 1st IMO, the last 40 games matter the most.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Barlow isn’t going to stay cold all season and he was a lot better tonight in Ptbo. He’s going to get 1 soon and then they’ll come in bunches. The whole team looks out of sorts, and I think it’s a combo of many factors, one being the slow trickle of players back from camps and a broken up training camp missing all their best players.
I haven't followed Barlow much as he was in the western conference and he did go down at one point in this game, crashing into Bowen, but even before that I have to ask, is he playing through something or is he an awful skater?

I mean, he was a first round NHL pick, so it has to be he's playing though something but he looked awful on his feet tonight and there has to be something going on there.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Isn't there a certain date teams have to be down to four overage players? I'm not sure the Petes could have claimed him without dropping one.

I also wonder what it means for Sztuska that Elliott was waived through the WHL - I'd assume that any WHL teams that might have been looking for an OA goalie would have claimed him, so there may be no home for him there either if he can't get an OHL spot/stay with the Petes.
There was a Quebec Remparts scout at the game tonight, taking quite a few notes. That usually means an OA could be put on waivers and end up in the Q, or a 19 year old. I can’t see D’Amato or Torrance being that guy as far as Oshawa is concerned, but do you think McIntyre could end up there?

Reactions: NorthernVoice

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
There was a Quebec Remparts scout at the game tonight, taking quite a few notes. That usually means an OA could be put on waivers and end up in the Q, or a 19 year old. I can’t see D’Amato or Torrance being that guy as far as Oshawa is concerned, but do you think McIntyre could end up there?
Or Sztuska.. I've read the Oshawa thread and the comments on Torrance but I really like him as a player. I can't imagine him being a guy who passes through the OHL on waivers. The other guys, yeah maybe.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
The Petes battled hard. Right now Oshawa reminds me of Petes early in 22-23, the whole is less than the sum of its parts. It will get going.

I've heard McCallum is injured and might be out a while. I assume Faulkner is as well because you wouldn't dress Marentette over him at forward. Assuming those two are injured and with Cadorin being reassigned, the Petes only have 11 healthy forwards. The questionable roster decisions continue to hamper this roster.

I will say both Levac and Partridge played great games at centre tonight. I've questioned whether either are OHL players this year but they both played very strong games tonight. I hope it continues and they prove me wrong.

And I don't think it's shiny new toy syndrome, but... I think Gowan is going to be so, so good in this league. His composure and breakout passes for a 16 year old are way ahead of where you would expect.
Do you think oshawa is a lot better than their record and early play indicates? I think so, but I am biased, and I don’t deny they haven’t been sharp so far. Played a good second half of the game tonight, but the Petes battled hard and Bowen was very good. Im a big Fitzgerald fan. Could be an NHL first rounder if he can work on his foot speed.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.

Why was Cadorin reassigned? Strange to see a player make it at 16 and then cut in their 17 year old season. Don’t know the kid at all, but he had a real temper on the ice. Attitude issues?

Gowan is really impressive for sure, I forgot him when praising Fitzgerald. So good on puck retrievals for his age, and the Memorial centre isn’t the easiest rink to go back for pucks. He sees the ice really well, I can understand why hockey Canada picked him for the U17’s.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Do you think oshawa is a lot better than their record and early play indicates? I think so, but I am biased, and I don’t deny they haven’t been sharp so far. Played a good second half of the game tonight, but the Petes battled hard and Bowen was very good. Im a big Fitzgerald fan. Could be an NHL first rounder if he can work on his foot speed.
I think Oshawa has a lot of skill on their roster but despite out shooting the Petes by a wide margin tonight, they never really took over the game like I expected. Or maybe it wasn't the players I expected. You have to think that a line of Sennecke - Griffin - Barlow is going to dominate but there were a few times they matched up with the Petes (ridiculous) 4th line of Marentette - Levac - Parish and still couldn't get out of their own zone.

I thought Danford was excellent. I thought Sennecke and Barlow were both pressing but didn't make a huge impact. Ultimately they're just a deeper, more veteran team and it was the Buckley, Marrelli, Graham, Rodriguez, Sinivoiri, Toms, Sandhu types that had the most impact.

But at some point they'll have those guys, and the other guys above clicking. And probably Ritchie and/or Roobroeck back. And Oster settled in net. And some additions. They'll be tough to beat. But they don't feel like a team that is really clicking as a unit yet.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I haven't followed Barlow much as he was in the western conference and he did go down at one point in this game, crashing into Bowen, but even before that I have to ask, is he playing through something or is he an awful skater?

I mean, he was a first round NHL pick, so it has to be he's playing though something but he looked awful on his feet tonight and there has to be something going on there.
Yeah I am not sure either. Had a good burst on that play for the break on Cameron, had a lot of shots tonight but only 2-3 dangerous. But he’s a volume shooter, always has been. Looks uncomfortable right now and I guess that’s understandable, it’s a new environment. I remember at the Hlinka years ago, Barlow looked fast and powerful, was a PK merchant along with Barkey. He is a streaky scorer though, and I think his lack of production is much more pronounced being the very beginning of the year as opposed to a 6 game pointless streak midway through the year when he already has 20 goals. He’ll get going here. The OHL is also a better league IMO than fans and NHL fans give it credit for, too much talk of it being nothing but a kids league. Its a grind of a season too.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Why was Cadorin reassigned? Strange to see a player make it at 16 and then cut in their 17 year old season. Don’t know the kid at all, but he had a real temper on the ice. Attitude issues?
I thought he was going to be the pest/shit disturber to complement the skill of the Taylor/Young/Fitzgerald/Cameron types. I have no idea what happened for the likes of Parish and Marentette who are the same age to have somehow have surpassed him on the depth chart.

I think flat out the Petes are a better team with Cadorin and (#3 overall in U18 draft) Dylan Turcotte on their roster and I'm really puzzled why both have been so quickly dismissed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad