Peterborough Petes 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Major Midget program he set up turned out well too; and should be copied by other teams, imo.
yes good point forgot that as well, Regardless of a nomination, the people in Peterborough and the Petes have benefited from his leadership these past few years and he deserves a tip of the cap! IMHO

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
i agree excellent draft he is very underated GM...is he not in consideration for GM of the year? Signs 5 picks from last years draft 3 play a regular role on a contending team, creates atmosphere so Robertson has most goals in CHL, swings a deal to land the WJC darling player in Thomas, brings in 2 vet Dmen, team was leading OHL if im not mistaken from most of first half, built up the fan base back to respectability and hired many front office workers leads all to success on and off the ice for this team which i believe puts him in the talk at the very least? Agree? Disagree?

They stopped doing executive of the year in 2013. Now it's just coach of the year

OHL Awards – Ontario Hockey League

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
i agree excellent draft he is very underated GM...is he not in consideration for GM of the year? Signs 5 picks from last years draft 3 play a regular role on a contending team, creates atmosphere so Robertson has most goals in CHL, swings a deal to land the WJC darling player in Thomas, brings in 2 vet Dmen, team was leading OHL if im not mistaken from most of first half, built up the fan base back to respectability and hired many front office workers leads all to success on and off the ice for this team which i believe puts him in the talk at the very least? Agree? Disagree?
Absolutely agree. He's gotten so much criticism by people in this thread ever since I joined, and now you never hear from those people... funny how that works lol

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Absolutely agree. He's gotten so much criticism by people in this thread ever since I joined, and now you never hear from those people... funny how that works lol

You know what, I'll admit I was a big time Oke critic when I started buying season tickets back in the Hunter Garlent/Nick Ritchie days. There was a lot of fan frustration that he inherited from captain after captain requesting trades out of town, and us giving away superstars to London/Kitchener etc for scraps. I think a lot of that early criticism was half earned, half bad luck. He got his job through nepotism, and our board back in those pre-Pogue days was downright awful and tone-deaf to the fans. I was angry at almost every decision we made. We were a have-not team, we barely warranted even existing in the OHL.

Even in Oke's early days, we screwed up a lot of players development by having Jody Hull as our coach, and some of that falls on Oke. Spencer, Cornel, etc were top picks that hit a ceiling in the OHL.

It was probably the Garlent trade that made me start giving Oke some slack, and then he really got his shit together draft wise. We realized we can't trade for stars, we need to draft them, so I think the Gogolev/SDA draft is when he really started hitting home runs at the draft. Ever since that draft, he's been killing it.

I'll never criticize how the Merkley situation played out, that was a brilliant move and a big get for a team like the Petes. The one move I didn't like was drafting Avon at 11 when we could have got him at 21, but if that's the harshest criticism I can think of, especially living through the days were we gave away star player after star player for garbage returns, I can't say much. Oke has evolved as a GM, and earned the confidence of the fans. I used to be a miserable season ticket holder, who resented what the board was doing to my beloved Petes. Now I'm happy to follow this team's every moves, because we're back to being relevant. We have an exciting young squad, a coach that utilizes the youth and a GM that is constantly making smart, low-key trades that help us out big time.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Ever since Oke took over as GM, we've had 2 players drafted to the NHL every single season. Pretty impressive.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
You know what, I'll admit I was a big time Oke critic when I started buying season tickets back in the Hunter Garlent/Nick Ritchie days. There was a lot of fan frustration that he inherited from captain after captain requesting trades out of town, and us giving away superstars to London/Kitchener etc for scraps. I think a lot of that early criticism was half earned, half bad luck. He got his job through nepotism, and our board back in those pre-Pogue days was downright awful and tone-deaf to the fans. I was angry at almost every decision we made. We were a have-not team, we barely warranted even existing in the OHL.

Even in Oke's early days, we screwed up a lot of players development by having Jody Hull as our coach, and some of that falls on Oke. Spencer, Cornel, etc were top picks that hit a ceiling in the OHL.

It was probably the Garlent trade that made me start giving Oke some slack, and then he really got his shit together draft wise. We realized we can't trade for stars, we need to draft them, so I think the Gogolev/SDA draft is when he really started hitting home runs at the draft. Ever since that draft, he's been killing it.

I'll never criticize how the Merkley situation played out, that was a brilliant move and a big get for a team like the Petes. The one move I didn't like was drafting Avon at 11 when we could have got him at 21, but if that's the harshest criticism I can think of, especially living through the days were we gave away star player after star player for garbage returns, I can't say much. Oke has evolved as a GM, and earned the confidence of the fans. I used to be a miserable season ticket holder, who resented what the board was doing to my beloved Petes. Now I'm happy to follow this team's every moves, because we're back to being relevant. We have an exciting young squad, a coach that utilizes the youth and a GM that is constantly making smart, low-key trades that help us out big time.
that is an excellent and honest assessment from a seasons ticket holder right there and i cant agree more that it was about as bad as it gets for sure. Then Oke slowly got his feet under him and began making key moves on the ice, in the office, coaches, scouts, drafts and trades.
Im a fan from afar now (former peterborough resident) but i hear the pain of those seasons ticket holders and now they finally can be proud of their team thats why i think he's done such a great job and this statement by Diaero sums it up perfectly

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Oke has built multiple competitive teams that were mainly based on his solid drafting. Now that reporting issues are clearing up we should have quicker rebuilds. He hasn't been perfect with all trades but aside from the Merkley debacle he hasn't had any go as bad as the Puempel or Watson trades. Anytime he's traded a star he has been able to bring back players that have helped the future.

Also the Wilson hire has done wonders so far. Hopefully we continue to build on the last couple of years.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018

That was a great read! The one thing I can say about the Avon point, is that they needed to get somebody who they absolutely knew would report. With all the uncertainty around McTavish at the time, I don't see it as a bad thing. Obviously in hindsight, Oke and his staff could've nabbed somebody ranked a little higher, but in the end I think they still get a solid 4 year OHL player

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think the Petes felt good about getting a D they liked at #22, and not 100% certain that the local kid they coveted would be there. Teams obviously discuss who they are targeting. OHL insider nailed at least the top 10 picks this year

Last edited:

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
That was a great read! The one thing I can say about the Avon point, is that they needed to get somebody who they absolutely knew would report. With all the uncertainty around McTavish at the time, I don't see it as a bad thing. Obviously in hindsight, Oke and his staff could've nabbed somebody ranked a little higher, but in the end I think they still get a solid 4 year OHL player
Avon actually faired better than some other first round picks. Oke was a bit stuck and had to do what he had to do. Once he builds up some better strength and gains confidence I think he turns into a solid OHL player.

I also think Tucker Robertson played like a first round pick and should turn into a very good player.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
Avon really reminded me of watching Ang His hands can’t keep up with his speed He played with son aggression at the end of the season throwing the body skating hard. I think he’ll take a big step next year as the year goes on A season under his belt will do him good

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Avon could have had 15 goals last year, he created so many opportunities and then lost it at the finish line. I would have liked to see him up on that top PP line during some of our blowout games, get him some practice finishing opportunities.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Avon could have had 15 goals last year, he created so many opportunities and then lost it at the finish line.
Marc Boudreau was like that this year for the Soo, too. I feel like next year both these players will start to produce a lot more.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Watching the 2006 six game on YouTube. Man the reffing was horrible. The play by play guys said the Knights 12 pp and the Petes had 7 pp in the first game... 19 power plays in a OHL FINALS GAME..... Wow.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Watching the 2006 six game on YouTube. Man the reffing was horrible. The play by play guys said the Knights 12 pp and the Petes had 7 pp in the first game... 19 power plays in a OHL FINALS GAME..... Wow.

I believe that ref in that game was our boy Sean Reid. Still to this day he's the worst ref in the OHL. He's been a ref in the OHL for 17 years now, without getting promoted. Kind of says it all.

When I was a kid, Tim Peel was the worst OHL ref, and even he got promoted to the big show. Reid is just pure trash.

Reactions: three dog night

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I believe that ref in that game was our boy Sean Reid. Still to this day he's the worst ref in the OHL. He's been a ref in the OHL for 17 years now, without getting promoted. Kind of says it all.

When I was a kid, Tim Peel was the worst OHL ref, and even he got promoted to the big show. Reid is just pure trash.
I'd vote for Hutchison as the league's worst ref.

Reactions: Hockey Stick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad