Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I’m interested to hear everyone’s opinion on what the Petes biggest need is at this point.

• A big forward to help fill in for Gallant while he’s out and strengthen the overall depth at forward when he does return
OR
  • An experienced Dman who is capable of playing top 4 and will eat minutes that cant really be trusted to the pairing of Beraldo and Supryka at this point

I'd like a forward who will go near the net and get dirty. I'm a bit tired of seeing SDA and Gogolev being so fancy but not getting much from it. And Kirk doesn't seem interested in going near traffic. Someone who will do the dirty work and fight for rebounds would be nice. I'm sure that sounds grumpy old man of me. I'll go back to yelling at clouds now.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
I'd like a forward who will go near the net and get dirty. I'm a bit tired of seeing SDA and Gogolev being so fancy but not getting much from it. And Kirk doesn't seem interested in going near traffic. Someone who will do the dirty work and fight for rebounds would be nice. I'm sure that sounds grumpy old man of me. I'll go back to yelling at clouds now.
Totally agree they need a big centre who will mix it up that’s what I like about butlers game. I believe kirk will payoff next year as he’ll be back has to get stronger although there will never be a physical part to his game at this point. . Next years team will include SDA Kirk Gallant Fraser who I believe will all be back as none are ready for the pro game which will make a pretty good team next year plus 2 1st rounders. Gallant would be only one to me that has a chance at all. Jones Chisholm added in there Gogolev up front too not a bad lineup.

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
They need both to be honest to make an improvement but your question was C or D so I’ll say a Dman to create some offence other than Chisholm.
Chisholm is the only one used on the power play. Five forwards in unit one and one defenseman in unit two. Zero for twenty three Get me someone who can score up front. Every team has a go to sniper. We don’t. Give Fraser or Ozmanski a shot on the power play. Try something. I feel like I’m in a time warp from last year. We could have used Cuylle or someone third overall to help us.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Chisholm is the only one used on the power play. Five forwards in unit one and one defenseman in unit two. Zero for twenty three Get me someone who can score up front. Every team has a go to sniper. We don’t. Give Fraser or Ozmanski a shot on the power play. Try something. I feel like I’m in a time warp from last year. We could have used Cuylle or someone third overall to help us.
Chisholm only one used on the PP that’s why I feel they need a dman not just for the PP but for some offence 5on5 too....tired of seeing beraldo and Macnamara carry puck up ice cross blue line then turn it over with fwds standing at the blue line...need someone with creativity....don’t bring up Cuylle again ugghh....they didn’t seem to have the drought issue early on no one saw an issue then with the forwards very strange why they’ve all dried up..lines changes may help keep sda and gogolev away from each other please

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
they didn’t seem to have the drought issue early on no one saw an issue then with the forwards very strange why they’ve all dried up..lines changes may help keep sda and gogolev away from each other please

The scoring wasn't as big of an issue at the start because Paquette and Isaacson got off to hot starts. Once they cooled off, the scoring has dried up.

The guys expected to lead the team like Gogolev, SDA, Timleck, Hinz and to a lesser extent Robertson have been underwhelming from the start.

Reactions: MoWanchuk1

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
The scoring wasn't as big of an issue at the start because Paquette and Isaacson got off to hot starts. Once they cooled off, the scoring has dried up.

The guys expected to lead the team like Gogolev, SDA, Timleck, Hinz and to a lesser extent Robertson have been underwhelming from the start.
I agree about 99.5% with that... Hinz has been incredible

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
If the Petes continue to play the neutral zone trap, which I'm OK with so far, then they have to get the PP going.
I'm willing to give the PP some more time to gel. The last few games they have created some quality chances with more shots but the puck just hasn't been going in........it will come.

I like Paquette at the top of the PP. He has a good shot, doesn't over-handle the puck and is a strong skater to get back if it is turned over.

I would like to see Paquette at the top, SDA on the left half-boards, Robertson on the right half-boards, Timleck in the slot and Butler in front of the goal.

On the other PP unit, I would like to see Chisholm at the top, Hinz on the left half-boards, Gogolev on the right half-boards, Kirk in the slot and Isaacson in front of the goal.

just 2 games this week......host Oshawa Thurs and visit Kingston Friday
Things are tight in the middle of the East conference standings......3 points separate 3rd and 9th and every other teams has at least a game in hand on the Petes.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Pick management........Oke has some decisions to make sooner rather than later
Taking a look at the Petes' draft cupboard, I really hope that Oke spends these assets wisely.

I'm looking at next season as being their best chance to go for it. My biggest concern for next year is whether an OA group of Gallant, Fraser and Isaacson are going to put the Petes in the strongest position.

Don't forget that it doesn't show, when looking below, that the Petes will have two 1st round picks next year (5th overall + their pick) as well as a compensatory pick at the end of the 2nd round (61st overall). If Oke were to use all of these picks rather than dealing some of those 2nds, the Petes would select 5 of the first 61 players drafted........and could only sign a maximum of 4 to play on the team in 2019/2020.

upload_2018-10-30_23-29-10.png

*If Windsor acquires a 2020 or 2021 2nd round pick, then the conditional Kitchener 2nd pick in 2024 will be swapped for that earlier pick.
I'm assuming that when Dipietro is traded, Windsor will receive a 2020 or 2021 2nd that the Petes will end up with.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Nice acquisition by Oke
Grondin is big, a centerman who skates well and is physical
57% on face-offs this year
this should help make up for Gallant being out and two picks was a cheap price to pay for 2.5 years

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Sounds like your wish was granted.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
So.... who does he play with?

Robertson-SDA-Butler
Gogolev-Paquette-Hinz
Isaacson-Grondin-Timleck
Kirk-Cermak-Denault

Last edited:

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
So.... who does he play with?

Robertson-SDA-Butler
Gogolev-Paquette-Hinz
Isaacson-Grondin-Timleck
Kirk-Cermak-Denault

With Butler away for 2 weeks, Partridge will be in the mix.......unless they dress 7 Dmen instead so I'm thinking......

Robertson - SDA - Hinz
Kirk - Paquette - Gogolev
Isaacson - Grondin - Timleck
Partridge - Cermak - Denault

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
A player can be good even if they're not a PPG player.
Also, he played for a high powered offense in Sarnia most of last year
This is true, but have you watched his game he flies around the ice at times , but players in this league if not producing points have to contribute in other ways such as being hard to play against? Being physical? have watched him since we acquired him have seen him throw one solid check, one, don't say that's not his game? everyone can and should bring a physical presence to their game.

Reactions: OHLEYE

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
Finally some size!!! Too small a team too easy to play against not nearly physical enough ? Finally we trade for some one not 5' 7" 15O LBS. LOL

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I like this deal. Big body up front ThAt can win draws is exactly what we need. Great move.
Yeah, they paid a bit but I think he's exactly the player the Petes needed to add. Can help fill the Gallant gap on draws and physical play and then when he's back the Petes are big and deep up the middle with Paquette/Gallant/Grondin.

Now the wingers just need to start finding the net with some consistency.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Grondin should be a solid, above average OHL'er but he isn't going to fix our PP woes. Still hoping Oke goes and gets an actual skill player that this team really needs in the top 6 (Grondin will likely be 3rd line and PK guy when people arent out of the lineup). He has a million picks to do it. Go get Dellandrea...

Reactions: Petes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad