Peterborough Petes 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
I think Oshawa is better than their record suggests, and Tippett will be up for tomorrow's game. I thought Robertson was supposed to be back by now? I know we've done well without him, but I think we could be in tough this weekend and could use his services.

We need to win tonight's game.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Rewards Code was "wolf"

You know, I really think SDA needs to do more, or maybe do less to make more of an impact on the game. He can control the flow of play when he wants to, but right now he's just playing too cute and fancy with Gogolev and ultimately not creating any scoring chances. They both can make it seems like they're on a powerplay at 5v5 together, but pucks aren't getting on net and chances aren't being created. He should be one of the league's top playmakers, racking up assists nightly.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Rewards Code was "wolf"

You know, I really think SDA needs to do more, or maybe do less to make more of an impact on the game. He can control the flow of play when he wants to, but right now he's just playing too cute and fancy with Gogolev and ultimately not creating any scoring chances. They both can make it seems like they're on a powerplay at 5v5 together, but pucks aren't getting on net and chances aren't being created. He should be one of the league's top playmakers, racking up assists nightly.

SDA has been such a disappointment thus far. 1 goal and a team worst -6 in 9 games is worrisome but only 9 shots in those 9 games... That's unbelievable

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
SDA has been such a disappointment thus far. 1 goal and a team worst -6 in 9 games is worrisome but only 9 shots in those 9 games... That's unbelievable
Counterpoint: it's very very believable. He looks pass first, second and third. People around me get on him for holding the puck too long and I don't agree with that, he can hold it as long as he likes, as long as he has control of it, but especially on the PP, there has to be a threat of a shot.

Petes power play is awful right now and SDA was playing the full 2 minutes on it at times tonight, which again, is fine, he's the most skilled player on the ice but you need the threat of the shot, or they'll just cover the other 4 guys, as the Gens did tonight.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Counterpoint: it's very very believable. He looks pass first, second and third. People around me get on him for holding the puck too long and I don't agree with that, he can hold it as long as he likes, as long as he has control of it, but especially on the PP, there has to be a threat of a shot.

Petes power play is awful right now and SDA was playing the full 2 minutes on it at times tonight, which again, is fine, he's the most skilled player on the ice but you need the threat of the shot, or they'll just cover the other 4 guys, as the Gens did tonight.

You'd just like to see some sort of progression from one year to the next from a guy who got signed very early by his NHL team. Last yea had 102 shots in 68 games, this year is on pace for under 70 after 9 games. To me that's unbelievable, even if he's pass first. I look over at the Gens and McShane is also pass first. He has 22 shots in the same 9 games. SDA is way too talented and gets way too much powerplay time to never try to score himself. Or like you said, it becomes a 4-on-4 because he will never even try to score

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Being ranked is a curse

I totally agree with you -I wanted to be on that list until my fellow Petes fans (I think it was Bra Wavers) politely pointed out that in the past, we have played poorly once we were listed.

Being that I am neurotically superstitious -we need to get the heck off of that list !

Reactions: Duke Guy

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017

Yes he is the most skilled player on the ice. But countless giveaways from last year until the start of this year is getting old. He has open players all night and still will not pass. Nikita Korostelev isn’t here anymore Find an open man no matter who it is. They wouldn’t be on the ice unless the coaching staff and other teammates found them worthy to be there.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
They're looking for this perfect lane-opening pass to a wide open Paquette for the one-timer that is available sometimes but I think this team would create more chances if we put Paquette in front of the net, SDA does his behind the back pass to Chisholm, and Chisholm just fires a wrister and Paquette, or some front net presence screens, and battles for the rebound. Losing Gallant loses one of our better net front guys, but try Butler out or something.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
My fear is that as good as the Petes look so far this season, Ottawa, Oshawa and Hamilton are actually better than us. If Jones doesn't play like the best goalie in the league/country during some of these games, our record is a lot worse than it currently is.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Petes record is now 8 & 3 which is the same record as last year after 11 games.

It isn't going to be deja vu all over again is it?

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Petes record is now 8 & 3 which is the same record as last year after 11 games.

It isn't going to be deja vu all over again is it?

I doubt they can nosedive as impressively as they did last year. But I think at some point there will be a run of .500 hockey. As has been mentioned, if Jones isn't playing like he has been, they wouldn't be 8-3. On the other hand, SDA, Gogolev and Kirk haven't done much so far. Once they get going, and Robertson returns, the offence will be even stronger.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Kirk now at zero points in his last 8 games. Wonder how many points he would have if Hull was still the coach.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
If Hull were here they wouldn't be 8-3, but likely down with Kingston and North Bay.

They would still likly be 8-3. Are we acting like Wilson is a goalie guru now? Because that's why we're 8-3, Hunter Jones has been amazing. Wilson has gotten next to nothing from his best players (SDA/Gogolev/Robertson have combined for 4 goals this season).

Reactions: Petesfan8

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
Yes he is the most skilled player on the ice. But countless giveaways from last year until the start of this year is getting old. He has open players all night and still will not pass. Nikita Korostelev isn’t here anymore Find an open man no matter who it is. They wouldn’t be on the ice unless the coaching staff and other teammates found them worthy to be there.

He made the perfect pass from behind the net to set up Oshawa's first goal last night. Definitely a highlight.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
If we were to spend the assets we got from the Windsor trade (and we should, cause we don't want to be drafting three 2nd rounders, and two 1st rounders) then are we better served targeting a big time rental like Robertson? or a rental D, or are we better off trying to find someone that can be here this year and next year?

Oshawa had some good players in the lineup last night they acquired for 2nd/3rd round picks that were quiet non-rental deals that have paid off longterm, like Brassard, Keyser, Vallati.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Also the 2nd round picks we hold (North Bay and Kingston) could in theory be almost as good as late 1sts since those teams could very well be bottom of the league come March. We have some good assets to work with on the trade front.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
If we were to spend the assets we got from the Windsor trade (and we should, cause we don't want to be drafting three 2nd rounders, and two 1st rounders) then are we better served targeting a big time rental like Robertson? or a rental D, or are we better off trying to find someone that can be here this year and next year?

Oshawa had some good players in the lineup last night they acquired for 2nd/3rd round picks that were quiet non-rental deals that have paid off longterm, like Brassard, Keyser, Vallati.

Last year, around this time, the Petes dealt for Osmanski, in exchange for two 4th round picks, due to injuries......and they are now benefitting with a solid OA year from him.

With the injury situation as it is now, Oke may want to look around the league for a 99 that could fill some holes now, but also be considered as an OA next year.…..although Isaacson, Fraser and Gallant (the Petes’ only 99’s) have all looked pretty good this year.

The players from other teams listed below vary in position, skill set, availability, if available….when?.....now or closer to deadline, cost (next year would be their potential OA year, so in many cases optional draft picks would be involved in the trade conditional on the player playing their OA season with the Petes).

Some 99 Dmen from around the league that would be nice additions…..

Name

Team

Keane, Joey

BAR

Gordeev, Fedor

FLNT

Brahaney, Jakob

KGN

Paquette, Jacob

KGN

Phillips, Markus

OS

Lyle, Brady

OS

Grima, Nick

SAR
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

And some 99 forwards……..

Name

Team

Willms, Jason

BAR

Neumann, Brett

KGN

Burnie, Tyler

KGN

Struthers, Matthew

NB

Suzuki, Nick

OS

McGregor, Ryan

SAR

Phibbs, Jack

FLNT

Chenier, Brad

NB

Brown, Aidan

BAR

Singer, Danial

ER

Durham, Jake

FLNT

Robertson, Jason

KGN

Josling, Sean

SAR

Purboo, Cole

WSR

Boka, Luke

WSR
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Diaero

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I will be interested to see what the lines will be when Robertson finally returns. He is a puck holder at times, like SDA, but if the kid has a chance to shoot.......he's not thinking twice about it.

When Robertson returns I hope they go with these lines…….
Robertson Paquette Butler
(I like Paquette/Robertson’s speed with Butler’s size; Paquette’s success on face-offs and Robertson’s quick release could result in some goals right off the faceoff in the offensive zone)
Isaacson SDA Timleck
(SDA & Timleck had some chemistry together last year and Isaacson has been a force so far this season)
Kirk Hinz Gogolev
(Hinz makes his linemates look good no matter who he plays with…….maybe this line can jump start Kirk and Gogolev………Hinz and Gogolev have played well together when it happens)
Partridge Cernak Denault
(Cernak has shown he can handle face-offs and has displayed some grit as well……..I think these 3 could hold their own as a line)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad