Peter Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm really not worried about a draft pick 20 months away. If he turns out, I'd pay it gladly.

If this guy pans out and becomes a solid winger (where he will probably fit in when we are healthy), I think he'd be worth a 2nd rounder since we have no clue how that pick will turn out...

I hope he does pan out and reaches his maximum potential. But when we're healthy there's not really any room for him this year. There's nothing wrong with hoping we gets healthy asap so as to keep our 2nd rounder in the future.

We're a better team this year with Kessel/Bozak/Jvr/Lupul/Kadri/Clarkson/Kulemin/Bolland/Raymond as our top 9 than if Holland is in there

Even if he pans out to be worth more than a 2nd rounder which I think he will I want him for as cheap as possible.

Would you give up Phil Kessel for Crosby if you could get Crosby for Clarkson?

It's just a hypothetical but why not hope you can give up as litle as possible?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I think it's bad faith just to send down the guy just to save that 2nd rounder.

If he's playing great hockey I don't see why we HAVE to send him down for the rest of the season at the 24 game mark. Ana and Holland would be pissed in this situation IMO. Do playoff games count? What if McClement gets injured? Don't call him up just because he's at his "quota?".

We should be GLAD that he's playing so well for us at this point if we had to give up the 2nd rounder.

Go back 4 years ago and asked if the leafs would trade the 15th overall pick for two 2nd rounders, ppl would be jumping on their feet saying yes.

didn't say I hope we send him down at 24 games, just said I hope we're healthy so we can send him down.

If he makes the team better then by all means he should stay. But unless he shows a massive improvement until Bolland gets healthy we're better with those 9 guys I mentioned above in our top 9

That's probably impossible that everyone would stay healthy than he wouldn't fit and Bolland comes back in time though

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
I hope he does pan out and reaches his maximum potential. But when we're healthy there's not really any room for him this year. There's nothing wrong with hoping we gets healthy asap so as to keep our 2nd rounder in the future.

We're a better team this year with Kessel/Bozak/Jvr/Lupul/Kadri/Clarkson/Kulemin/Bolland/Raymond as our top 9 than if Holland is in there

Even if he pans out to be worth more than a 2nd rounder which I think he will I want him for as cheap as possible.

The problem is Bolland will definitely not be back within 25 games :( Which leaves the Leafs with either keeping Holland as your 3rd C or having McClement play 3rd C and Smithson as your 4th.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd love for it to be a 3rd :)

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

By sounds of it you would send him down even he was playing well. Which just won't happen.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
By sounds of it you would send him down even he was playing well. Which just won't happen.

if we're healthy he'd have to play really damn well to take a spot in the top 9.

I did say if he makes us better he should stay. When we're healthy chances are he doesn't make our top 9 better

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Again, we wont be healthy within 25 games. Smithson vs Holland, who'd you keep?

That's hoping we don't get any other injuries (knock on wood...)

it's not totally impossible. There's no timeline yet. Karlsson only missed 31 last year, and we played 2 games without Holland so that's 26 games that Bolland could miss and assuming Holland plays all of them we could still get to keep the 2nd.

Also wouldn't put it past Carlyle to scratch Holland for a couple games games in favour of Smithson if he plays bad, and loses faceoffs. Not that I'm hopeing for that just saying it's possible.

It's not 100% guaranteed he's here to play for the next 24 games

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
One things for certain, doesn't seem to be at all effected by the media circus, and he's very well spoken, especially for his age. Reminds me a bit of jvr, with the media.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Thought he had a decent first game. Was good on the draw and a solid skater. Can be more physical, but I'm sure Carlyle will straighten that out. I liked how he drove to the net too on a few chances, we need that more from our centres.

L Corncrick

NHL Outsider
Oct 8, 2011
Planet Funk
I like how he moves his feet, very speedy on the forecheck. He can keep up with the other Leafs but we'll need some time to find out how he plays when the adrenaline wears off.

Khobahi

Feb 13, 2013
Canada
First impression... i like him.

Lets see how he improves once his nerves calm down and gets some practices with the team.

He go into Toronto at 3ish checking into a hotel and went right to the arena to sort out equipment stuff.... gets thrown into a game right away on the first line with Kessel and JVR... Thats gotta be a bit stressful..

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
First impression... i like him.

Lets see how he improves once his nerves calm down and gets some practices with the team.

He go into Toronto at 3ish checking into a hotel and went right to the arena to sort out equipment stuff.... gets thrown into a game right away on the first line with Kessel and JVR... Thats gotta be a bit stressful..

Stressful or really exciting! I would be pretty damn stoked.

Preliminary impression.

Top 6 plug but a solid plug. Skill is good, speed is good, positional play is good. He could potentially unseat Bozak, the skill is there to do so. I don't think he is a 1c never will be but he has 2c 2cb written all over him.

Obviously this is to be taken with a grain of salt but all he really has to do now is put up numbers and make the line he plays on perform reasonably well.

Price paid was fine considering.

Corbsy

Oct 31, 2013
Love this guy so far. Its always good if you can get a guy thats passionate about being here.

If we can squeak out wins, even if its against the sabres without our 3 C's. I'm in a good mood.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I felt he played a strong game all things considering. It was refreshing to see a centerman who charged the net with decent size. He has some intangibles and attributes that make him stand out a bit imo. Definitely an interesting project to see what we've got here.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I felt he played a strong game all things considering. It was refreshing to see a centerman who charged the net with decent size. He has some intangibles and attributes that make him stand out a bit imo. Definitely an interesting project to see what we've got here.

Agreed, he is not some scrub for sure. He has skill and potential and absolutely is an upgrade on Colborne so I like it.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
I thought he had a good game. Good skater with a good quick release. Strong positionally which is kind of a surprise considering. I don't know if the Ducks play the same systems.

He is strong on his skates and went hard to the net a few times. Not a big hitter though.

It is too early to tell but a promising first impression

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Thought he had a great 1st but tailed off as the night went on. Whatever, first game, nerves, adrenaline etc.

Maybe his penalty made him a little hesitant?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Thought he had a great 1st but tailed off as the night went on. Whatever, first game, nerves, adrenaline etc.

Maybe his penalty made him a little hesitant?

Played the night I think, got on a plane, came to the arena, sorted his equipment got a jersey a handshake and thrown out there.

I would be pretty tired by the third too

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Good trade here is why...

Reilly,Finn,Percy,Granberg. Blacker would have never played a game as a Leaf.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
IF Holland lives up to his potential, wouldn't mind seeing this (barring everyone being healthy so late this season):

JVR-Kadri-Kessel
Lupul-Bolland-Clarkson
Raymond-Holland-Kulemin
Orr-Bozak-McClement

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
My biggest concern was that whenever he had an opportunity to finish a check, he'd slow almost to a stop before coasting into the player barely making contact, or he'd just plain avoid contact altogether and skate by the player.

I noticed that as well. He would pull up, then kinda nudge or push the player.

And I didn't find his skating very well or found it quite choppy. Kinda reminded me of Colborne actually.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Bollands out for another few months, so Holland should have an NHL roster spot for that whole timeframe unless he completely craps the bed.

After that, assuming everyones healthy, maybe they trade pending UFA Kulemin or Raymond, then shuffle Bolland to the wing (which he can also play).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad