GDT: Persecution complex special - everyone is against us in Dallas - 5:30 PM PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talec

Jun 18, 2016
Well, as pissed as I was with the result, overall I thought we played better than I expected.

Thoughts:

Gibson - I only blame one goal on him. Fowler didn't cover Johns stick on the first goal. The third goal was just stupid, Bieksa is crosschecked from behind and takes out Vatanen leaving Gibby defenseless. The fourth goal is on Kesler I think, he missed picking up Cracknell coming off the bench and driving the net. So IMO only the second goal was on gibby (letting in that puck through the five hole) even though it was a 3-2 I think he should of had it. We didn't give up many chances but when we did we paid for it. Now I also think that if he wants to prove to us that he's a number one he needs to stand on head sometimes and make those god like saves I know he's capable of. While I don't blame the loss on him I think if he played anywhere near as well as Niemi this game should have been tied 2-2. He was not the better of the goaltenders tonight.

Getzlaf - Man if he plays like this all season, I will no longer call him Senior Fancy Pass. 10 SOG and 75% faceoff, good job today sir.

Ritchie - Another positive note, played well and finished his all his checks. Just need to start finding the net, but he seems to be getting closer.

Perry - I always have a hard time giving reviews of Perry, he never looks like he's playing hard but that's how he always plays. This game he just couldn't find any open space and basically was non-factor because of that.

Kesler - Played well and that pass to Cogs for the second goal was beautiful. Only thing I noticed was that he was caught looking at the puck on that Fourth goal instead picking up Cracknell.

Cogs - Always looks good and today with 2 Goals was great.

Fowler - Solid

Larsson - I agree with most people here. In the first period he looked good but as the game went on and got a little quicker he got a little sloppy but overall played well for his first game. Look forward to see more of him.

Bieksa - Well what is there to say, I didn't think he was terrible so I guess that was an improvement but like Larsson the longer the game went on the worse he started to look.

Boll - Didn't realize he was playing until he took that penalty and was like "Oh damn, that's why we picked up Etem"

Sorenson - Looked fine for his first game. Look forward to seeing more of him.

Vatanen - Man, I didn't like how he played in the WCOH and it seems like it's the same in this game. He needs to find ways to be more useful on the PP.

Final Thoughts: Again, I thought we played a pretty good game, that first period was great; we only gave up 1 shot. Unfortunately that one shot cost us and Niemi played exceptional so what I thought should have been at least a 2-0 period was a 1-1 instead. Second period we saw Dallas surge and only gave up one goal and that's the goal I thought Gibby should have stopped. We held tight and survived to the third period though now we're behind 1-2. Lastly in the third, we had that great goal from Cogs then a horribly missed call and being caught flat footed cost us the game 4-2. I hate games like this, when we are the better team overall but lose to the the other team because they capitalize better on mistakes and got outstanding play from one player; in this case was goal tending.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Maybe it's just me, and Gibson doesn't shoulder all of the blame on those goals because the coverage was horribad, but he can't let pucks cross right through his crease like that.

Oct 18, 2011
too bad for despres.....he was having a good game, didn't take long for the ducks to miss lindholm....now they are looking at having larsson/bieksa/stoner all in the lineup saturday.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Obviously it doesn't matter a whole lot because it didn't result in a victory, but our top 3 centers won 34 of 49 draws (69%) tonight. That's something we may be getting on a regular basis, maybe not to that extent, but exciting nonetheless.

clownshoes

Mar 5, 2008
Windowless room
The ducks bottom 6 couldn't roll with Dallas' bottom 6. The Ducks were outmatched.

In fact I think it's safe to say the current bottom 6 of

Raymond/Vermette/Sorenson
Garbutt/Wagner/Boll

will be outmatched most of the games they play this season.

I disagree with the "dallas is a team you can lose to" stance. If the Ducks can't hang with the better teams in this league, that is a huge problem. That bottom 6 needs to change ASAP.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It`s the first game under the new coach. I like the shot differential if they keep it up it should be great. But yeah, we need to upgrade that bottom 6

Althoug Carlyle usually just plays them a couple of minutes

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
The ducks bottom 6 couldn't roll with Dallas' bottom 6. The Ducks were outmatched.

In fact I think it's safe to say the current bottom 6 of

Raymond/Vermette/Sorenson
Garbutt/Wagner/Boll

will be outmatched most of the games they play this season.

I disagree with the "dallas is a team you can lose to" stance. If the Ducks can't hang with the better teams in this league, that is a huge problem. That bottom 6 needs to change ASAP.

Raymond and Boll are the only weak parts to me on that bottom 6. Wagner is an solid 4th liner, so is Garbutt. Vermette a solid 3rd liner and Sorensen - well we will see.

What I meant, the way you lose is critical. Dallas is a team you can lose to while you even play a solid game.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Disappointing to lose, but thought they played pretty well. Ritchie impressed me, was skating hard and hitting anything that moved - and got some good chances to boot, looks like a different player having trimmed the fat down.

Maybe it's just me, and Gibson doesn't shoulder all of the blame on those goals because the coverage was horribad, but he can't let pucks cross right through his crease like that.
Agreed. Seemed way too deep in his net at times, granted it didn't help that the defence forgot you have to defend in front of the net for times.

too bad for despres.....he was having a good game
I was going to post here how it was great to have him back as he looked really solid out there, and he's already injured. Guy can't catch a break.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Top 6 except Perry looked good. Bottom 6 looks weak as expected.

The D was mostly good except Bieksa. Fowler was awful on the 1st goal but other than that was decent. Vatanen needs to have more of an impact.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Depres is hurt? time to call up someone? Id kinda like to see Montour get a shot up with the big boys for a bit.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
Game went fine. Could have won if a powerplay had connected at some point.

Vatanen... anyone else think he might be better to move instead of Fowler?

I know its a salary issue. And i know i dont want to see bieksa getting powerplay time (he missed several passes both giving and receiving at the point).

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Game went fine. Could have won if a powerplay had connected at some point.

Vatanen... anyone else think he might be better to move instead of Fowler?

I know its a salary issue. And i know i dont want to see bieksa getting powerplay time (he missed several passes both giving and receiving at the point).

Honestly, he was getting his shot through on the PP better than any other D guy. He played a decent game and can't believe they didn't call a penalty on the guy who cross checked him across the crease. On the second goal he was on the ice for, he was in position, it was either Kesler (losing the man in the slot) or Vatanen (being out of position) that caused the goal. I have no real complaints from his game. Despres played a good game, but he's definitely the one who should not be out on the PP. Lindholm and Bieksa had some good moments on the PP to finish out the season last year. Having Sorenson on the PP rather than Rakell really hurt as well. The second unit will get better once the swedes resign and we pick up a W in a trade.

As far as the Fowler trade goes, a lot of salary is coming off the back end in 2 years, and I don't expect a lot will be added to it outside of a raise for Manson. Theo and Montour will likely be getting bridge deals with minimal salaries unless they explode at some point this season. As such, we'd likely be able to handle his salary for a short duration. He'll likely be looking for a longer deal as well, so once you get a couple years into his contract, we could be facing some salary cap issues. It's something we can work out along the way, but being that he's a UFA, there's no ensuring he would resign with us after next season either. I wouldn't feel any worse if Vatanen was traded instead of Fowler.

DucksFanDFW

Sep 18, 2009
Ranger, TX
I can't remember one whistle that was caused by Gibson holding the puck. I found this strange. Not too upset by the loss, we hardly ever win the first game of the season, plus it was against a team I hate with every ounce of my being. Add that on top of the the lineup, I pretty much expected a loss, but was optimistically hopeful. On to the next game and wait to see how things turn out.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Well, as pissed as I was with the result, overall I thought we played better than I expected.

Thoughts:

Gibson - I only blame one goal on him. Fowler didn't cover Johns stick on the first goal. The third goal was just stupid, Bieksa is crosschecked from behind and takes out Vatanen leaving Gibby defenseless. The fourth goal is on Kesler I think, he missed picking up Cracknell coming off the bench and driving the net. So IMO only the second goal was on gibby (letting in that puck through the five hole) even though it was a 3-2 I think he should of had it. We didn't give up many chances but when we did we paid for it. Now I also think that if he wants to prove to us that he's a number one he needs to stand on head sometimes and make those god like saves I know he's capable of. While I don't blame the loss on him I think if he played anywhere near as well as Niemi this game should have been tied 2-2. He was not the better of the goaltenders tonight.

Getzlaf - Man if he plays like this all season, I will no longer call him Senior Fancy Pass. 10 SOG and 75% faceoff, good job today sir.

Ritchie - Another positive note, played well and finished his all his checks. Just need to start finding the net, but he seems to be getting closer.

Perry - I always have a hard time giving reviews of Perry, he never looks like he's playing hard but that's how he always plays. This game he just couldn't find any open space and basically was non-factor because of that.

Kesler - Played well and that pass to Cogs for the second goal was beautiful. Only thing I noticed was that he was caught looking at the puck on that Fourth goal instead picking up Cracknell.

Cogs - Always looks good and today with 2 Goals was great.

Fowler - Solid

Larsson - I agree with most people here. In the first period he looked good but as the game went on and got a little quicker he got a little sloppy but overall played well for his first game. Look forward to see more of him.

Bieksa - Well what is there to say, I didn't think he was terrible so I guess that was an improvement but like Larsson the longer the game went on the worse he started to look.

Boll - Didn't realize he was playing until he took that penalty and was like "Oh damn, that's why we picked up Etem"

Sorenson - Looked fine for his first game. Look forward to seeing more of him.

Vatanen - Man, I didn't like how he played in the WCOH and it seems like it's the same in this game. He needs to find ways to be more useful on the PP.

Final Thoughts: Again, I thought we played a pretty good game, that first period was great; we only gave up 1 shot. Unfortunately that one shot cost us and Niemi played exceptional so what I thought should have been at least a 2-0 period was a 1-1 instead. Second period we saw Dallas surge and only gave up one goal and that's the goal I thought Gibby should have stopped. We held tight and survived to the third period though now we're behind 1-2. Lastly in the third, we had that great goal from Cogs then a horribly missed call and being caught flat footed cost us the game 4-2. I hate games like this, when we are the better team overall but lose to the the other team because they capitalize better on mistakes and got outstanding play from one player; in this case was goal tending.

I agree with everything here except I thought Fowler looked better than decent and Bieksa looked worse than you described him. Bieksa mishandled several pucks that just threw us off our rthym. Ritchie looked a lot faster and quicker. If he plays like that all season he will get a decent amount of goals because of that shot and the fact that he is always in front of the net.

I don't like the Ritchie, Getz Pears line when Getz is looking to shoot like he did last night. With Ritchie hanging in front of the net and shooting whenever he gets a chance and Getz looking to score, Perry doesnt have a roll on that line. Perry does well when we are controlling the puck and creating great opportunities, not when we are shooting every chance we get. Perry was just a waste of talent out there last night. When he has the puck he has that magic but he just didnt have the puck much last night.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Gibson looked shaky as hell and as if he had no confidence in net. His five hole was wide open on two goals and a cross crease pass had him on the other two. I'm willing to lay the blame on the defense for those, but they're really going to have to work on defending the cross ice passes if Gibson is the starter, he's too weak against them. I also hate how much usage Bieksa was getting, though part of that was Despres getting hurt and no Magnus (I hope). Really not a fan of a barely playing 4th line, but I guess it keeps Boll off of the ice. Sorensen and Raymond were invisible, so was Perry. He didn't do anything out there. Ditto Vatanen, who's being paid way too much money for how he looked at the world cup, preseason and then last night. I hate that it's likely Fowler gone and not him. Cam is way more important to this team. Bieksa led the team in PP ice time, that is a recipe for disaster. He's his usual frustrating self.

As for the good, Ritchie had his best NHL game thus far, really liking the progression. He definitely put in work this summer which is awesome to see. Cogliano was awesome and Kesler was good not great. Fowler was our best defenseman, followed by Despres. It's really a shame he was injured, I hope something didn't flare up his concussion symptoms. Larsson looked pretty good too I thought, like a guy playing his first game but good. Didn't shy away from contact at all either.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Gibson looked shaky as hell and as if he had no confidence in net. His five hole was wide open on two goals and a cross crease pass had him on the other two. I'm willing to lay the blame on the defense for those, but they're really going to have to work on defending the cross ice passes if Gibson is the starter, he's too weak against them. I also hate how much usage Bieksa was getting, though part of that was Despres getting hurt and no Magnus (I hope). Really not a fan of a barely playing 4th line, but I guess it keeps Boll off of the ice. Sorensen and Raymond were invisible, so was Perry. He didn't do anything out there. Ditto Vatanen, who's being paid way too much money for how he looked at the world cup, preseason and then last night. I hate that it's likely Fowler gone and not him. Cam is way more important to this team. Bieksa led the team in PP ice time, that is a recipe for disaster. He's his usual frustrating self.

As for the good, Ritchie had his best NHL game thus far, really liking the progression. He definitely put in work this summer which is awesome to see. Cogliano was awesome and Kesler was good not great. Fowler was our best defenseman, followed by Despres. It's really a shame he was injured, I hope something didn't flare up his concussion symptoms. Larsson looked pretty good too I thought, like a guy playing his first game but good. Didn't shy away from contact at all either.

I felt like he always played liked that. He has all the talent in the world, but for whatever reason he's not confident in net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad