Perry and Getzlaf talks to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Columbus would never have the opportunity to trade it's pick because they are smart enough to realize Perry wont help them be a contender nor resign with them.

I agree with you. I'm just saying that, hypothetically, if it happened, the Jackets would protect the 1st.

Ducksgo*

A) Not to be arrogant, but Me > Bleacherreport. :D That is a terrible article, by the way.

B) That article actually disagrees with you, as it specifically says:

Which, again, is probably wrong. It's usually not "top" prospects that are involved in those deals.

How does it? A first and a top prospect. Thats what we are looking at! And at the trade deadline! if anything it strengthens my argument. People dreaming of a first a prospect and a roster player are ludicrous. This is a typical team and its fans overvaluing its players. No ones going to pay that. Great article it proves my point and it proves what Perry is worth. Enough said

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Ducksgo, I'm curious... do you value all roster players evenly? Because you seem to be making a very broad statement. A 1st and a top prospect could be worth a lot more than a 1st and a rostered player.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
How does it? A first and a top prospect. Thats what we are looking at! And at the trade deadline! if anything it strengthens my argument. People dreaming of a first a prospect and a roster player are ludicrous. This is a typical team and its fans overvaluing its players. No ones going to pay that. Great article it proves my point and it proves what Perry is worth. Enough said

Dude. We don't need you, or some guy over at the laughable bleacher report to tell us what Perry is worth as a rental at the trade deadline. There are comparables in the real world. Those include a roster player, a 1st and a prospect. Can't remember one that included a "top" prospect. I don't know where you come up with your stuff.

EDIT: And what Sojourn said. A roster player is a roster player. Some roster players are worth 4th round picks. Some are worth a trip to the waiver wire. Others are untouchable. The inclusion of a roster player doesn't automatically put the value through the roof. :rolleyes:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I was actually looking at moving Perry to Columbus for Letestu. We solve our second line problem regarding a center. Plus maybe a first or very high second. Guy is on the downlow regarding centers. He is having a breakout year with 13 pts in 23 games this year. Not a great wrap sheet in the NHL but still young and is producing a boatload of pts on a crap team compared to ours regarding Bonino. If we could pull this off with a first???? Great job Murray!

Letestu, even with his play this year, is just barely a top six center. With him, you never know. He can be hitting 45 points one year, and 25 the next. It's not like he's a young stud coming up either. He didn't make the NHL until he was 26 years old, and he's 28 now. He's pretty much a longshot to get any better, this is likely his prime. Columbus got him for a 4th round pick when he was two years younger and producing at almost the same rate as he is now. Sure he could be an improvement over Bonino for now, but the Ducks could easily get him without giving up Perry lol.

Last edited:

Jul 1, 2012
If were trying to make a real run in the playoffs, trading Perry wouldn't be a good thing. He's such an important part of the Ducks right now. There's no way we could get anything close to his value in a trade. Hopefully he signs soon

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Also Columbus will not be trading for Perry when the chances of him re-signing there are very slim.
This. Only teams that have chance of signing him (contenders in the near future imo) are calling Bob repeatedly. Columbus isn't looking for a rental and the whole trade would be too risky for them.

duxfan8

Sep 13, 2011
South Bay
A) Not to be arrogant, but Me > Bleacherreport. :D That is a terrible article, by the way.

B) That article actually disagrees with you, as it specifically says:

Which, again, is probably wrong. It's usually not "top" prospects that are involved in those deals.

I thought everyone realized that anyone could write for BleacherReport. It's like an open blog.... WITH SLIDESHOWS!!!!!!!! :handclap:

:sarcasm:

Nikko*

This. Only teams that have chance of signing him (contenders in the near future imo) are calling Bob repeatedly. Columbus isn't looking for a rental and the whole trade would be too risky for them.

Exactly. The amount of teams interested in renting Perry is probably <10. You have to pretty much assume your team has a good chance of winning the cup and gamble some of your future for the present. Personally, I want him traded if he isn't signed by the deadline. Yeah, our team will be weaker in the short term, but I feel like we have prospects on the verge of making the jump and truthfully an amazing first line center to help them get there. It would just hurt way worse to lose him for nothing. And we have a balanced team now, it's not like if the 1997 team traded Selanne or Kariya.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Not sure I understand your theory. If you believe Selanne is gonna be near the same level and Koivu easily has 3 years left. This team in theory should be as good or better. Unless you're saying the Ducks aren't cup contenders this year.

Seeing as we are a younger team with tons of kids they are getting worse because they get a year older? I would think they would progress not regress.

Only players wary of a decline would be Selanne/Souray/Koivu but since you seem to believe Koivu is perfectly fine for at least 3 years he shouldn't be of worry. I would logically assume our younger players would make up for their slight decline.

Therefor I don't understand how you can assume we won't be as good next year. Just because we might not post some ridiculously assume start like his year won't mean we aren't a good team.

I believe Selanne will be worse next year, I believe that Souray MIGHT be worse next year, and there's a difference between saying Koivu can play for 3 years and saying Koivu will once again have his best statistical year ever again next year. Also, next year is a full season, not a half season, and those are the guys you expect to wear down over a full season grind. So we may not have an effective top D pairing, our entire third line probably won't all have career years again, and some key cogs will be more worn out and injury prone, making THIS year the best chance for them.

There's a huge difference between saying Koivu can be a 3/4C for 3-5 years and what he's doing this year, which is more of a 1b/2a level of production.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Yep, they're still working.

I hope your gm can get him signed. I don't want him improving the Flyers/Rags/Leafs.

I wasn't in favor of compliance buyouts to start and I'm even more unhappy with them now.
I don't think any of those three teams would blink, at freeing up salary and giving Perry $9m.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
It's around what he's going to get. I'd rather he get it from us.

I'm not sure I agree.

Perry can get an 8 year contract from Anaheim, which is something he isn't able to get if he goes UFA. Anaheim can pay him less than 9 million and he could still earn more than he would get as a UFA.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I'm not sure I agree.

Perry can get an 8 year contract from Anaheim, which is something he isn't able to get if he goes UFA. Anaheim can pay him less than 9 million and he could still earn more than he would get as a UFA.
It not being my money, I consider 8 and 9 million around the same for payroll purposes. Obviously if I'm Perry and I have to give a huge chunk of money to the various governments and my agent and my union dues and whatever hush money I'm paying, it's a bigger difference.

UFA he'd probably get 10 though.

He's gonna be the biggest UFA on the market, and with no way to backdive out of it...yeah, I think so. Glen Sather has an "I'll beat anyone's offer" boner already.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
9M x 7 years = 63M = 7.875M x 8 years. They bought Getzlaf's extra year for 3 M + NMC.
10M x 7 years = 70M = 8.75M x 8 years. I think he'd have to decide on the extra cash or the NMC.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'm not sure I agree.

Unless he gets hurt or really breaks down, a 35 year old Perry could still likely get $5M or more for that eighth year when it rolls around. Or maybe another multi year deal for more than he will be worth at that point in time. I don't think the 8 years vs 7 years is as big a deal as I wish it were.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The NMC is moot to me. if it gets to the point where it would be better to trade either player than keep him then I doubt either is playing well enough for another team to take on that cap hit.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The NMC is moot to me. if it gets to the point where it would be better to trade either player than keep him then I doubt either is playing well enough for another team to take on that cap hit.

The cap floor Islanders say hi.

Edit - actually, never mind. I missed the 3M signing bonus to go along with the 6M salary year 8. The Ducks can always retain salary.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Here's a good article by Friedman which looks at the options we have with Perry. I will say that his guess of the best offer we can throw at him seems very high. I think our best offer is the same deal we offered Getzlaf and no higher.

Also the article states we now qualify for revenue sharing. I don't know if that was ever confirmed before this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad