Penticton YoungStars Tourney (VAN/EDM/CGY/WPG) - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I know, he has the speed and IQ to be an NHL player but does he have the grit to make it happen?

Grit is all he's shown in this tournament. Little 5'9" guy throwing hits, forechecking hard, fighting in the corners. I'm actually more curious about his speed, you really need to be a burner if you're that small.

soliak

Mar 26, 2013
Straya
Calgary have been doing a good job of getting these two-way, all-around good prospects like Kulak, Culkin, Morrison, Agostino, Arnold, etc. Even in the NHL, Russell, Jooris, Granlund, Colborne. These guys just seem to fit with the team. The Canucks on the other hand are looking for "unique" type of players like a Tryamkin, Pedan, Bartkowski, Sbisa, etc. Big mobile players or atleast physical ones that lack in departments like hockey sense, skating.

Impressive depth in Calgary with their FA pick-ups and late round picks. Not sure what the model is but it seems to be hard-working, reliable players.

The only thing unique about Sbisa is his league worst contract/skill ratio. 3.6 million for a #7. Even potato FA's like Schlemko are better. I'm not joking.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
We must not have been watching the same game if you have been watching at all. The Oilers were the better team right up until Smith scored.

It isn't over yet.

The Young Flames play is clearly unsustainable. They're just this years Young Avalanche. And what not.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The only thing unique about Sbisa is his league worst contract/skill ratio. 3.6 million for a #7. Even potato FA's like Schlemko are better. I'm not joking.
Well yeah. I guess he had potential to be a smooth skating (not fast), two-way, physical defenceman. He has a pretty big frame. My point is that Calgary looks for the overall good player while Vancouver goes after big frames or high-end skill, no real in between and players with big flaws, but some really good tools.

Aceonfire*

It's funny how quiet this thread was until the Flames scored.

"Don't trash talk until they take the lead".

It was a close game, saying otherwise implies you are reading and not watching.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Oilers have had some pretty good chances, and McDonald's played well. Also, shot quality matters. It's been a pretty even game, but okay then.

Wow, if only people said that for the Flames during the regular season. BUT NOPE!! Corsi and shot totals for the win!!

soliak

Mar 26, 2013
Straya
Well yeah. I guess he had potential to be a smooth skating (not fast), two-way, physical defenceman. He has a pretty big frame. My point is that Calgary looks for the overall good player while Vancouver goes after big frames or high-end skill, no real in between and players with big flaws, but some really good tools.

Haha I was just being a dick man. Canucks are in a tough spot, they really need to blow it up. I remember having chats with my buddys in Vancouver a few years ago when I was living in NA and we predicted everything thats happened back then. Too many NMCs and not good enough to win. They are in a similar spot to the Flames of old now...6-10th place every year.

Virtanen was a 2 way pick though. They could of gone for much higher offensive prospects but didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad