Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Oilers

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012
Teams with worst rosters do a better job. Jesse scared to say Sullivan outright? Lol

Firing or keeping Sullivan is under Dubas' purview and if he's too scared to do it, hire a GM to do it, like he kept promising he'd do.
Fenway is definitely making sure Sullivan stays. I think Dubas had to prove he needs to fire Sullivan to improve the team and Sullivan's been proving it for him.

I'd honestly be shocked if they lose against the Canucks and Sullivan is still the coach.

I am gonna say if the Pens lose vs Vancouver, Sullivan is fired the next morning.

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
Teams with worst rosters do a better job. Jesse scared to say Sullivan outright? Lol

Fenway is definitely making sure Sullivan stays. I think Dubas had to prove he needs to fire Sullivan to improve the team and Sullivan's been proving it for him.

I'd honestly be shocked if they lose against the Canucks and Sullivan is still the coach.

I am gonna say if the Pens lose vs Vancouver, Sullivan is fired the next morning.
It will be late on the Atlantic Coast, but I will be watching with the coffee pot beside me, hoping you are right.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Guarantee Sullivan is here all season, and at least most if not all of next season lol…despite needing to be fired yesterday…but the fans need to do their part: STHs get the “fire Sullivan” chants going at PPG and the others need to stop buying tickets lol…hit FSG where it hurts…

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012
Dubas can’t possibly wait more than another week or so before canning Sullivan right? I mean the lack of structure on this team is mind blowing
I don't even care that I'll be paying to see a shit show but I'm hoping for a 10-0 loss. That should the final nail.

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
Dubas can’t possibly wait more than another week or so before canning Sullivan right? I mean the lack of structure on this team is mind blowing
He can... especially if FSG is the one desperately wanting to keep Sullivan... and if I was in the same spot I would be cueing up the malicious compliance to 11 and saying "ok... here's your guy, and the players he wants"

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
The thing that bothers me the most with this team right now, is not that they are losing, it's that when they win it the bottom 6 that is facilitating that win.... I want the top 6 to be doing the lifting, I don't give a squat about Glass, or Hayes, or Eller scoring, I want to see Sid and Geno score ffs!!!!

Flip it around you dorks!!! Let Crosby and Malkin get 3 points a night but lose by 5, whatever.

Dubas will have been out of Pittsburgh and probably out of the NHL for several years by the time that happens.
I fear you are right, I hope you are wrong

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
You realize this is the same idiot that watched the PP, which could have single handedly got them into a playoff spot with a slight improvement, flounder under a boob for an entire season, right?

Dubas is here collecting an obscene paycheck. Thats all he cares about. If keeping the dumb coach whom the investment bro owners adore because he has the same idiot accent as them keeps the boat from rockin’, then he isn’t going to worry about.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
My take….
+ Blom - guy was lights out. Great positionally, predicting shots, controlling rebounds. Reminds me of an early Matt Murray without the bad glove hand. Put a structured (not necessarily good) team in front of him and suddenly the wins will start coming.

- everybody else - WTF man. I was expecting some back and forth against the Oilers, to at least make it entertaining. All I saw was a lot of back, with no forth.

Key issues….
- That was probably the worst showing of the season. It almost felt like every player forgot how to play hockey.

- its interesting how every player comes in the trade deadline looking good, then something happens. Happened to Carter, Raks, and now Bunting. It’s almost as if they are 2nd guessing themselves. Sully anyone?

- last few years, almost every single thing has changed EXCEPT for the head coach.

SULLY NEEDS TO GO!!!!!!!!
- if we are wrong the the only reason the team is doing well is because of Sully, fine then we fast track into a lottery team.
- if we are right (and I bet we are), we suddenly become competitive.

Invalid cuz QoC

Jan 30, 2017
So are there no press quotes from yesterday? Or were they too afraid to talk to sully, I expected diversion and reporters asking sully who he’s wearing (his jacket).

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don't think Glass is Harkins level bad or anything, he just does nothing to move the needle for this roster.

It was just an insanely bad offseason for Dubas so while Sullivan deserves a lot of blame, Dubas is already at the point where he deserves as much of the blame.

I'm so tired of this org prioritizing players that "play the right way" and PK - a brand of hockey the 4th line played in the year 2016 but with a vastly more talented roster, younger more robust superstars, and a system that wasn't 8 years stale. The usual suspects are the Glass, Lizotte, Acciari guys. This org just keeps insisting on adding these guys but all they are doing are blocking what little young talent we have. It's insane how we keep getting these guys without fail every year.

This team f***ing sucks lmao.
I understand the sentiment from last year, but this is just a weird time to be criticizing bottom-six scoring.
Glass is on pace for 27 even-strength points, playing a measly 9 mins at ES a night and getting extremely heavy defensive allocation. On top of that, he's one of the few players defending well on a 31st GA/G ranked team.
I'll put it this way: If you had 3 guys performing like Glass is right now all year on the 4th line and on the PK, you'll have the most productive 4th line in the NHL and your PK will likely rank among the tops in the league.
Obviously it's a 9-game sample, but he deserves credit for what he's done so far. They've helped get us points a few times now.

If you wanna talk about moving the needle, you should focus on the guys who are playing well below their cap hits. Bunting, Crosby, Letang, Karlsson, Jarry, Pettersson, Rust. Graves 4.5M on the 3rd pair.
They are the real reason we're losing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I understand the sentiment from last year, but this is just a weird time to be criticizing bottom-six scoring.
Glass is on pace for 27 even-strength points, playing a measly 9 mins at ES a night and getting extremely heavy defensive allocation. On top of that, he's one of the few players defending well on a 31st GA/G ranked team.
I'll put it this way: If you had 3 guys performing like Glass is right now all year on the 4th line and on the PK, you'll have the most productive 4th line in the NHL and your PK will likely rank among the tops in the league.
Obviously it's a 9-game sample, but he deserves credit for what he's done so far. They've helped get us points a few times now.

If you wanna talk about moving the needle, you should focus on the guys who are playing well below their cap hits. Bunting, Crosby, Letang, Karlsson, Jarry, Pettersson, Rust. Graves 4.5M on the 3rd pair.
They are the real reason we're losing.

Agreed. Glass has been great.

On another note, I was totally wrong on Garland and he’s been great for the Canucks in the top six this year.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
The unavoidable rebuild has started, 87 is there just to milk tickets, it is what it is.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I didn't bother to watch the game because of the start time.

Marcus Pettersson deserves some praise for dropping the gloves against Nurse, he's a gamer. For a guy who isn't a fighter, his fight card is ridiculous. Nicolas Deslauriers, Tom Wilson, Jonah Gadjovich, and Sam Bennett...

Bless his heart. He'll take a hit to make a play or fight a guy way out of his league. A very solid defenseman on top of that. I hope that they keep him, but who knows how sustainable his style is with his very lanky body.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I didn't bother to watch the game because of the start time.

Marcus Pettersson deserves some praise for dropping the gloves against Nurse, he's a gamer. For a guy who isn't a fighter, his fight card is ridiculous. Nicolas Deslauriers, Tom Wilson, Jonah Gadjovich, and Sam Bennett...

Bless his heart. He'll take a hit to make a play or fight a guy way out of his league. A very solid defenseman on top of that. I hope that they keep him, but who knows how sustainable his style is with his very lanky body.
I am liking this only out of respect for pugilism, I hope we do not keep Pettersson and I hope that the style of defense he plays goes out of fashion.

golfortennis1

Mar 18, 2022
I don't really understand Dubas hate. He was hired to guide the Pens through a rebuild and it was always his duty to catch the proverbial falling knife that was this team's trajectory. Once his splash play of bringing in Karlsson didn't work I think he became content to just ride out Sullivan's contract.

And whose fault is it that one of the best offensive defensemen "didn't work"?

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
You realize this is the same idiot that watched the PP, which could have single handedly got them into a playoff spot with a slight improvement, flounder under a boob for an entire season, right?

Dubas is here collecting an obscene paycheck. Thats all he cares about. If keeping the dumb coach whom the investment bro owners adore because he has the same idiot accent as them keeps the boat from rockin’, then he isn’t going to worry about.
Somehow I doubt FSG is cool with losing. Patience during turbulent times is admirable. But enough is enough and I’m thinking they and Dubas will realize that soon

golfortennis1

Mar 18, 2022
Guarantee Sullivan is here all season, and at least most if not all of next season lol…despite needing to be fired yesterday…but the fans need to do their part: STHs get the “fire Sullivan” chants going at PPG and the others need to stop buying tickets lol…hit FSG where it hurts…

The upshot is that if Sullivan is as highly regarded around the league as is thrown out there, he will have no trouble getting a job and FSG being off the hook.

Somehow I doubt FSG is cool with losing. Patience during turbulent times is admirable. But enough is enough and I’m thinking they and Dubas will realize that soon

Walter O'Malley, the old Brooklyn/LA Dodgers owner was once asked whether he would rather win the world series in 4 or lose in 7. He smiled, and declined to provide an answer.

They will only care about losing when it affects the cash flow.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Yes, and no.

He literally said that the system is one that can work, does work with teams and rosters with the talent, but that the Pens simply don't have the talent.

Now, you can argue to dumb down the system to their talent level and that is on the coach.

However, then you have players who gave up money and another chance at a Cup to stay here who simply would die playing that bore-a-thon.

And ownership caters to them as they are the only reason that any tickets still get sold.

Catch-22.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad