Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Oilers

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I rarely watch anymore. A. Comcast cut the channel, and I'm not paying another $25 to watch this garbage. And B. It's too sad to see what's happening.

But I do still follow and watch occassionally. It's literally the same thing year after year after year. Little scoring talent up front. Horrific defensive system. Bad goaltending. Absolutely zero physicality. etc etc.

Sullivan is at least 5 years past his expiration date. His stubborn bullshit has wasted years of the core. Dubas should be fired for the Jarry contract alone. The 'core 4' are old, but they're still talented enough to make a run. But management has completely failed them by surrounding them with scrubs.

In short, fire everyone

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Honestly, Blomqvist kept it from being like a 10-0 shitblasting. Just got embarrassed for the entire game tbh. Pretty much expected, even if the Oilers haven't been particularly good so far this season. Sid, Rust, Petts and Letang all got bodied every time they took a shift.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
How the f*** were people actually supporting the Glass, Lizotte, Beauvillier additions this offseason

These guys are not the answer
Ok Glass is definitely not the problem right now. He's matched Crosby's 3 ES assists/points in 63 fewer minutes and with 27% O-zone starts.
He's at 57% corsi and is 5th on the team in 5v5 P/P60. He's also been the best and stingiest Forward on the PK and one of the most reliable Forwards defensively at even-strength.
If anything they should be boosting his minutes up to 16+ per game or w/e. Currently at 11:40 a night.

Give him a few games with Sid. Reward good work. Reduce the minutes of those who are passengers.
It's not like Sid's left wingers are doing anything anyway.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Pathetic display from the veterans and leaders last night. No emotion at all, playing beer league hockey while a young net minder is left alone to deal with 50 shots against. And we are supposed to sell the farm and be buyers for these guys? No chance, start the retool asap don't let a 2-3 game winning streak fool you, we cannot compete in this league and it's quite obvious.

Reactions: End of Line

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't really understand Dubas hate. He was hired to guide the Pens through a rebuild and it was always his duty to catch the proverbial falling knife that was this team's trajectory. Once his splash play of bringing in Karlsson didn't work I think he became content to just ride out Sullivan's contract.
That's not a rebuild, though. That's being a coward and not starting the actual rebuild because he's scared to actually take the reigns.

If this is a rebuild: it's going as badly as one could possibly imagine for a rebuild.

If we're competing: it's going as badly as one could possibly imagine for actually competing.

So, what are we doing exactly?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
They're absolutely too arrogant to admit the era's over, or too cowardly to dismantle things while Sid's still hanging on for the 2026 Olympics. Maybe both. Probably both.

The only real significant change happened because Jake didn't want to tether himself to this team, but instead left to chase big money and a shot at competing again. He made the decision for them, because as long as Sid's around, they're petrified into indecision.

-edit- When Sullivan finally leaves, it'll be his decision too. Because this team simply can't help but be dysfunctional as possible--they'll waste the final decade of Sid's career simply because they refuse to rock the boat even a little bit (as if firing a coach this far into a steep and steady slide is rocking the boat).

Last edited:
Reactions: BusinessGoose

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Ok Glass is definitely not the problem right now. He's matched Crosby's 3 ES assists/points in 63 fewer minutes and with 27% O-zone starts.
He's at 57% corsi and is 5th on the team in 5v5 P/P60. He's also been the best and stingiest Forward on the PK and one of the most reliable Forwards defensively at even-strength.
If anything they should be boosting his minutes up to 16+ per game or w/e. Currently at 11:40 a night.

Give him a few games with Sid. Reward good work. Reduce the minutes of those who are passengers.
It's not like Sid's left wingers are doing anything anyway.
I don't think Glass is Harkins level bad or anything, he just does nothing to move the needle for this roster.

It was just an insanely bad offseason for Dubas so while Sullivan deserves a lot of blame, Dubas is already at the point where he deserves as much of the blame.

I'm so tired of this org prioritizing players that "play the right way" and PK - a brand of hockey the 4th line played in the year 2016 but with a vastly more talented roster, younger more robust superstars, and a system that wasn't 8 years stale. The usual suspects are the Glass, Lizotte, Acciari guys. This org just keeps insisting on adding these guys but all they are doing are blocking what little young talent we have. It's insane how we keep getting these guys without fail every year.

This team f***ing sucks lmao.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't really understand Dubas hate. He was hired to guide the Pens through a rebuild and it was always his duty to catch the proverbial falling knife that was this team's trajectory. Once his splash play of bringing in Karlsson didn't work I think he became content to just ride out Sullivan's contract.

I wouldn’t hate on his time as Penguins GM but I also don’t really see much good he has done as GM.

The Karlsson deal ended up a dud due to the state of the team. The Guentzel return was fine but they likely watered it down with insisting on getting Bunting, who looks lost out there. The Jarry and Graves deals were both horrendous. Most of his other UFA signings have either been just fine or complete non factors.

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
I'm going to hold out on Dubas criticism too much until Sullivan is gone. Sullivan had a hand in bringing Dubas in and in helping shape the team before Dubas arrived. I wouldn't be surprised if Jarry was all but signed and they just needed/wanted a GM in place to actually sign the contract. It's no secret that Sullivan is pushing for types of players he wants in the lineup, and with this weird FSG, Sullivan, Dubas structure I would think that Sullivan has more say than a typical coach would.

Which when you look at why Rutherford left, and the story he had a trade in place to ship out Letang and Sullivan and Ownership kaiboshed it, and how Sullivan negotiated his contract directly with FSG.. Dubas maybe should have vetted his own situation a bit more.

anyways articles on these statements are easy to find, this one sums up how much of a red flag Sullivan is during the GM search...

Reactions: Andy99

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Really, I've gotta ask.
You guys aren't sitting and watching this mess for 2.5 hours every single game.... are you?

HCMS keeps pouring it all out for everyone and they keep on going and watching.
:help:

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012
We know who it should be but won’t because he’s “a top 2-3 coach in this league “ lol

Matt is a twat. Says it could be Sullivan but then completely absolves him for the trades he has caused and players he's chosen to play which cost this team more assets.

The damage Sullivan caused in the 2017-18 season is when the mess truly began. f*** Mike Sullivan and his dumb Boston accent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad