Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Jerks | Loss | Letang is a moron

Who is more likely to take an idiotic penalty and cost us a game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Simon. Same principle applies to ZAR but he is probably overpaid.
Simon I wouldn't really bring back, if we don't have anyone from within that can replace what Simon does next year (we do, we never see them get a chance though), then again, what purpose is WBS for under this current regime?

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
You sound like you just started watching hockey. Refs let shit go ALL THE TIME. He let Trocheck's punch go. He let Letang's cross check go. It should've ended there. Happens ALL THE TIME. I'm fine with calling both or neither at that point and so is 99% of people who watched.

The point is that on any given night no one has any idea how the game is going to be called. You can acknowledge this fact while also not accepting it as a good thing. Refs have way too much impact on games. Not taking both guys there for obvious infractions most likely cost us that game.

99% of hockey fans are ok with a punch to the head just not being called? Might want to redo your polling on that one.

There’s no point to a rulebook if you’re just going to use your own (changing) standard to call a game.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If we are healthy entering the playoffs and we add a player you think Heinen, McGinn or Blueger are getting scratched for ZAR?
If we add anyone decent, I’m sure we’ll have to ship out someone like Kap. I would be absolutely shocked if ZAR doesn’t play in every game. Bylsma would scratch Erod before ZAR.

ss53mech

Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville NC
I don't post in these often, but was at the game, so I'll offer the perspective from there. Was overall a good game in terms of who had a chance to win. Pens better early but trended towards Carolina in the 2nd and 3rd. Penalties were mystifying, inconsistent and well stupid, but I wouldn't call it biased. Pens were the better team early, Canes settled in and made them compete to get through center which slowed them down a bunch. Desmith was overall pretty good, but his rebound control (or lack thereof) was on display in the last two periods. Letang showed all his qualities: watching from behind the net I could see several times his ability to "see" a transition pass better than any other D and connected on outlet opportunities, he also lost his shit in a close game and could very reasonably be blamed for the loss.

Not sure if it came through on TV, but the pens fans were every bit as loud if not the louder fan base in that arena. Love being part of a fanbase that travels well and generally acts decent when on the road. Sad about the loss, but still glad to be a fan.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Simon I wouldn't really bring back, if we don't have anyone from within that can replace what Simon does next year (we do, we never see them get a chance though), then again, what purpose is WBS for under this current regime?
It’s to destroy any shred of offensive ability in every player. Bylsma wants an army of Simons out there. They should just contract Wbs because this current GM and coach have no use for it.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I also love how people are justifying to bring back ZAR or Simon because “they know the system.” Is Bylsma’s system really that complicated that no respectable players can learn it? Maybe we need a new system if it’s only effective for turd players?

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I also love how people are justifying to bring back ZAR or Simon because “they know the system.” Is Bylsma’s system really that complicated that no respectable players can learn it? Maybe we need a new system if it’s only effective for turd players?

I think it's a fine system with proven success.

ss53mech

Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville NC
Regarding the Letang call: I see several outcomes that could be considered okay, but my ideal one would actually be Trochek just takes the penalty and that's it. But, here's why: If Trochek punches Tanger and the ref calls it, Letang (maybe) doesn't punch him back. PP Pens. Less ideal but kind of understandable: Trochek punches, no call, Tanger punches back both called, even up. Even worse but at least has some logic: Troched punch, no call, Tanger retaliation, no call, Tanger continues to retaliate, both called but Tanger gets the extra 2:00. PP Canes. Least logical: what actually happened.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh

I would love to see more developmental players in the lineup or a new Bryan Rust or even Kuhnhakl but I don't see anyone begging to be called up. DOC had a great chance to keep a spot. I would love to see Zohorna more often. Puustinen can wait a year.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
So you admit it, Sullivan is doing a great job.

Let's see what happens next.
Bylsma does a fantastic job when we have a bunch of injuries. But when we are fully healthy, or even close to it, it all falls apart. I don’t need to see what happens next; I’ve been seeing him underachieve for three straight playoffs.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Bylsma does a fantastic job when we have a bunch of injuries. But when we are fully healthy, or even close on it, it all falls apart.

Who's Bylsma? Bylsma inherited a Cup Finalist. Sullivan inherited a mess and immediately won two Cups.

Things are falling apart? News to me.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Who's Bylsma? Bylsma inherited a Cup Finalist. Sullivan inherited a mess and immediately won two Cups.
The roster Sully won with was better than the one Bylsma won with. Sully inherited a team that could roll four strong lines and two starting goalies. Bylsma had god mode Geno and Sid, and very little else.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
The roster Sully won with was better than the one Bylsma won with. Sully inherited a team that could roll four strong lines and two starting goalies. Bylsma had god mode Geno and Sid, and very little else.

No, he put together four strong lines with a combination of players he helped develop in WBS and trades made by the GM. They couldn't score more than two goals a game with the previous coach.

Pretty sure when Zucker and Blueger return we'll have four strong lines again. Not sure why you claim we're completely healthy. Luckily the GM found enough depth to keep continuity through injuries.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Some of the worst officiating at the end of that game I have ever seen...it is why the NHL never grows or is taken seriously.. No need to say or repeat what happened with the terrible officiating at the end of the game because we all know hockey has been like this when two good teams play each other in things get heated. We all watch and saw what happened with the lousy stinkfest show at the end of the game with horrible officiating going on.

Last edited:

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Sure, call the punch and then call the crosscheck. Both go for 2:00. Refs let shit go all the time and Letang went 2 infractions too far.

I hope you finally realize that Letang didn't get 2:00 for retaliation.
Crosschecks, mini spears go uncalled quite a bit, especially in OT. Pumches to the head however should never go uncalled but NHL.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
No, he put together four strong lines with a combination of players he helped develop in WBS and trades made by the GM. They couldn't score more than two goals a game with the previous coach.

Pretty sure when Zucker and Blueger return we'll have four strong lines again. Not sure why you claim we're completely healthy. Luckily the GM found enough depth to keep continuity through injuries.
Except ZAR.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

He didn’t though. His signings vanished for Feb and Jan - some all the way back to December. His signings were great during their cake walk schedule.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Why are people blaming Letang on a play which the calls should have evened up?

Malkin handed the Canes the 1st goal by pretending Staal teleported into a prime opening scoring spot. As far as I'm concerned Malkin was the reason the Canes even got back into the game.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He didn’t though. His signings vanished for Feb and Jan - some all the way back to December. His signings were great during their cake walk schedule.

Carolina’s big moves this off season

DeAngelo, Stepan, KoKo and Cole have outside of DeAngelo being relatively disappointing especially from a cost stand point compared to Heinen, Rodrigues and McGinn.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
It would have been fine in last years playoffs if Jarry didn't single handedly sink our ship.

Yeah I don't understand the anti Sullivan sentiment.

2019 was bad, you can't take anything from 2020, 2021 the Pens were crushing the Isles but just had bad goaltending.

Reactions: Ryder71

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Carolina’s big moves this off season

DeAngelo, Stepan, KoKo and Cole have outside of DeAngelo being relatively disappointing especially from a cost stand point compared to Heinen, Rodrigues and McGinn.
You forgot to mention ZAR, Simon and McCann. Weird. Erod has sucked for 3 months and already apart of the organization when we mistakenly hired sleepy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad