Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Bruins: Frustrating loss

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The last two games have been rough defensively, but most of the season he's played pretty clean. Tonight the big defensive miscue was more a miscommunication with Jarry - or thinking a forward was coming down the wall. There were a few rough plays with the puck but he wasn't alone in that, certainly. I think on the whole at 5v5 he and Letang have had similar amounts of screwups with the puck. Letang has been great on the PK but I've seen him screw up plenty defensively. Even Pettersson isn't playing the way he was the first half of the year.

Most of the season EK has done pretty well in the Sullivan system, even though it has limited his breakout game severely. I've watched EK his whole career, he's done a lot of things well defensively this year that he hasn't always done - but whereas in his prime in Ottawa he would make a nice play and then bomb up ice with the puck to start a rush, here he'll gather the puck and fire it to the centre line, or just send it over to his partner. However much he may want to get up ice, he's done what Sullivan has wanted all season.
If this isn’t a great indictment of the coach, I don’t what is lol

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
He literally carried Ottawa to within one goal of making the Stanley Cup finals.

He has had too many defensive miscues this year and he's a part of our terrible PP though. But I don't agree that he's a bad addition or not a net good. We control play way better with him on the ice than off.

If we miss the playoffs it will be for the same reasons we were bad most of the year: the bad PP (which EK is very much a part of, in fairness), bad finishing (Sully), and non existent bottom six scoring (Dubas' fault).

I'm honestly most disappointed in the last point because Dubas somehow put together an even worse bottom six than Hextall did.

The goaltending has been adequate, even though I think Tristan Jarry is a loser who never comes up big when we need him to. But he was good earlier in the season. As usual when we need a little extra later in the season he's unable to give it. Whatever.

Dubas desperately needs to offload some trash this off season. Rakell and Smith are huge drains every time they touch the ice. They can't skate and they kill every possession.
Playoffs or not. This is a HUGE offseason for Dubas.

Reactions: Pancakes

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
He literally carried Ottawa to within one goal of making the Stanley Cup finals.
27431i3376207876EAC780

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I mean Duchene chose the Stars but the Pens were never even an option for him so who knows if Dubas says we want you maybe he'd be interested.

I probably could find some other names that signed for 2-3 million that would be good options. Do agree that Sully probably hates Sprong. The research I did was pretty quick just to find a few names. I'm sure a deep dive into last year's FAs would yield even more options than I saw at a quick glance.

All what ifs anyways. Dubas had enough cap space to put together a better bottom six than he did but he blew it.
Honestly, most are too emotional about TJ to accurately discuss goalies. He was by far the best option and proved it through the majority of the season.

TBH, I'm not sure that all of the bottom 6 guys were Dubi's choice. I think he gave Sully the guys he wanted. I blame Sully 10 times a much as Dubi.

Hell, EK wasn't ever this bade till Sully got his hooks into him.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Today was the most Penguins-like day possible. Every team we're competing with won while the Pens couldn't even secure a point.

Today sums up Sullivan hockey the past handful of seasons. Some good with a lot of bad.
I also think the lack of leadership from the core has a lot to do with it as well. Keep in mind they want to keep Sullivan around.

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
What about Bunting? How the hell can you not say he's a bright spot?
He's been an instant favorite of mine. Guentzel was much more talented, but Bunting filled a role we need much more. He's basically been Hornqvist-lite. Too bad they cannot figure out how to utilize him better on the PP.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
use that $5 to sign a cheap backup and ride Ned instead. Maybe Ned's play doesn't hold up with more games played though. He's certainly started to wear down lately now that they've been riding him.

But let's say $2million or so on a CDS type backup and then $3million on a bottom six player. Are we better off? I'd argue we might be

To be fair to Ned, how many goalies play 11 straight games these days? Not even Shesterkin does.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I feel Jarry should have started. First goal, Ned doesn't clamp it. Second goal, bad rebound. Third, he has to have that. All mistakes he wasn't making two weeks ago.

Sid and Geno had real quiet games. Bunting has been great though.

Except when he led his team to the playoffs in 11-12, 14-15, and 16-17, and led his team to within a goal of reaching the SCF on a broken foot. And then went to a WCF.
I really wanted to love him here, were full of expectations. I love his style of hockey. I really like you as a poster too. That being said, he is playing really really bad hockey for us. Really bad. Just you can see how good he could be. And he just isn´t.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Honestly, most are too emotional about TJ to accurately discuss goalies. He was by far the best option and proved it through the majority of the season.

TBH, I'm not sure that all of the bottom 6 guys were Dubi's choice. I think he gave Sully the guys he wanted. I blame Sully 10 times a much as Dubi.

Hell, EK wasn't ever this bade till Sully got his hooks into him.
I'd certainly be a lot more willing to live with TJ with a different coach behind the bench. F-ing Sully...

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Karlsson is an incredibly talented player but he does not work in this system. That is as much Sullivan's fault as it is Karlsson's. I know who I'd sooner ditch.
Do you question why Karlsson has never been on a great team?

He is talented, that doesn't mean he's great at hockey though.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
EK's worse game for #1000 at -4

rDmjUQ5.gif

A game in which he was only at fault for one of the three goals, and then an empty netter. And didn't get a plus on the Rust goal because he had gone off a second earlier. I'd also contend it wasn't his worst game of the season. There have been a few where he was worse at both ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad