Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
But this gets on page 72. Shame

I expect him to play 2 years. Atleast this year for Penguins and the year after who knows.

Then go to Russia for a year.

Trying to not get too political, but do you think he'd go back there considering the climate? Theoretically he could be living in his house and it's susceptible to having a missle come through his window while he sleeps...

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Trying to not get too political, but do you think he'd go back there considering the climate? Theoretically he could be living in his house and it's susceptible to having a missle come through his window while he sleeps...

That's the one thing. He could chill in Florida for the rest of his life with his family or go back to play 1 year of professional hockey for X amount. I'd probably rather just not play anymore.

Maybe play 1 year in Florida league min. No back to backs.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I would love it if we made a move for a young center this season. Or picked high enough in the draft to transition someone into the "future 2C" role.

Maybe that is Yager, who knows? But NOW is the time to place urgency on the next-gen top 6 centers. It would have been great to do something like scoop up Morgan Frost when he was on the outs in Philly. Unless you draft a guy that will fill the gap, make a sneaky good move here, or there is something that should be on Dubas's radar, regardless what Sullivan may want in the present.

God, when I think of what a hindrance Sullivan is to planning the future for this team, it's infuriating.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Western perspective or Russian perspective? :)

Regardless, he still has a connection to where he grew up, and is probably willing to tolerate risk. Besides, Magnitogork is pretty far away from everything going on with Ukraine.

Unless Russia goes to war with Kazakhstan, which is an almost impossibility based on how much those 2 get along.

1722273657350.png

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Magnitogorsk is VERY far east of any front lines. Moscow is pushing it in regards to danger, and it's double the distance to Magnitogorsk. Unless he has a place in Moscow/western Russia?

Plus, it seems he was visiting right now in July 2024 during that interview.

But, yeah, not sure I would want to be on a traveling "high profile target" sports team.

I mean, i wouldn't feel comfortable in Maine if Mexico was in a full on annex war and our military was not doing much against them. So

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Too many GMs, especially Kindergarten Kyle are worried about the optics of “losing a trade” rather than winning a cup.

Big Balls Zito said this exact thing. That’s why Florida won a cup despite the media proclaiming the Tkakchuk trade amazing for Calgary.
Dubas has made two large trades in less than a year here. I don’t think he’s worried about the optics of losing a trade.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
But this gets on page 72. Shame

I expect him to play 2 years. At least this year for Penguins and the year after who knows.

Then go to Russia for a year.
You can't win them all!

Honestly don't think his salary is preventing us from anything. So I see him playing his 2 years, unless he accepts moving to another team at the trade deadline next year.

Also, I'm wondering where Crosby's contract will be a factor. Does Malkin accept a cheap 1 year contract to stick around and play another year with Crosby? Would WE even want to do that 2 years from now (see Joe Pavelski).

A lot depends on where we are in our rebuild, and how Malkin further ages.

If full likelihood....
He will play out 2 years here, and then switch to playing in Russia until he's done with hockey!

Like Jagr had no qualms about leaving the US and going back to his homeland....yeah, he has assets to manage (his hockey team), so it's a bit different.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
You can't win them all!

Honestly don't think his salary is preventing us from anything. So I see him playing his 2 years, unless he accepts moving to another team at the trade deadline next year.

Also, I'm wondering where Crosby's contract will be a factor. Does Malkin accept a cheap 1 year contract to stick around and play another year with Crosby? Would WE even want to do that 2 years from now (see Joe Pavelski).

If full likelihood....
He will play out 2 years here, and then switch to playing in Russia until he's done with hockey!

Like Jagr had no qualms about leaving the US and going back to his homeland....yeah, he has assets to manage (his hockey team), so it's a bit different.

Yea I don't think Jagr and Malkin are wired the same way at all. Jagr was all about the $$ and to say he was "mercurial" is an understatement.

When Malkin says something, I believe him and take him at face value. When Jagr says something, I always wonder "what's in it for him that he's saying this?"

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
You can't win them all!

If full likelihood....

Malkins deal is very fair.

It's more if the writing is on the wall a 3rd year not making playoffs. I could see Malkin wanting out. He wouldn't make it Public but who would want to end a NHL career 4 years in a row no playoff performances.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I would love it if we made a move for a young center this season. Or picked high enough in the draft to transition someone into the "future 2C" role.

Maybe that is Yager, who knows? But NOW is the time to place urgency on the next-gen top 6 centers. It would have been great to do something like scoop up Morgan Frost when he was on the outs in Philly. Unless you draft a guy that will fill the gap, make a sneaky good move here, or there is something that should be on Dubas's radar, regardless what Sullivan may want in the present.
i don't know which is harder to end up low enough to draft one or make a trade. that's why I was a big yager fan his draft year. he had his wort's (strength) but I thought it was easily fixable. (Now not as sure.) and while he wasn't a top 10 pick it was a deep draft. so since we don't have much in the way of trade chips, we need to finish as low as we can. imo

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Yea I don't think Jagr and Malkin are wired the same way at all. Jagr was all about the $$ and to say he was "mercurial" is an understatement.

When Malkin says something, I believe him and take him at face value. When Jagr says something, I always wonder "what's in it for him that he's saying this?"
I was referring to his desire to play at home. I mean Jagr had settled in Florida (great weather, etc), for years, but still went back to Czech. Malkin having a summer home in Florida may similarly not be a factor in his decision to return "home".

I agree with what you say about Jags though. Clearly it was about him, and that's just the way it is.

Malkins deal is very fair.

It's more if the writing is on the wall a 3rd year not making playoffs. I could see Malkin wanting out. He wouldn't make it Public but who would want to end a NHL career 4 years in a row no playoff performances.
It's fair now. I meant if he wants to play AFTER this deal. I see your point though...Malkin may no longer want to play for the Penguins. Fair enough.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
i don't know which is harder to end up low enough to draft one or make a trade. that's why I was a big yager fan his draft year. he had his wort's (strength) but I thought it was easily fixable. (Now not as sure.) and while he wasn't a top 10 pick it was a deep draft. so since we don't have much in the way of trade chips, we need to finish as low as we can. imo
There's no doubt that the rule that you need a high-talent 1ov or 2ov on your roster to win is overwhelming. Occasionally, you can get away with it as St. Louis did, but Pietro was 5OV, I believe. But if we look at a team like Vegas - they traded for Eichel and Piets. Tampa DID have Stammer and Hedman but Point and Kucherov weren't even 1st round picks.

Ideally, the season that Sid calls it quits, you tank for a 1OV that comes i and can provide a 1C/1D/1W level of play. You then add that to a 24yo Yager who is 1/2C along with a couple other key players that have developed well. Then you have a new foundation.

Or, next year, when it's McKenna's draft year, you get to bottom 5 and ask uncle gary to give us the 1OV. Then you have a nice "pass the torch" moment between him and Sid much like there was with Mario and Sid.

Reactions: The Old Master

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
By the time Malkin goes back the war will either be over in a Russian victory or it will be WW3 so its a moot point.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Theoretically anyone of us could have a missile come through our window when we sleep. =]

Europe, maybe a higher percentage by a bit, yes.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I think Dubas called it a summer several weeks ago, sadly.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you, but then again he surprised us signing Yager the other day. Maybe he has lost Wifi connection at the cottage lol
I like Rakell but sure why not.
Laine has 2 years left on his deal compared to Rakell's 4 and is younger. We can "win now" for this upcoming season or sell him next deadline for a much better return Rakell will ever give us while being 35 years old when his deal expires

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Rakell for Laine (Jarry for Merzy, whatever) is a move I would be willing to make for the sole purpose of adding a lethal shooting skill player to the lineup. We obviously have no issue generating shots. We have issues putting the puck in the net.

Cap might be close on a 1:1 swap so I imagine we'd have to send someone like Eller or Acciari out for cap reasons. Preferably both.

DOC-Sid-Rust
Laine-Malkin-Bunting
Beau-Hayes-Puusty
Poulin-Lizotte-Puljujarvi

Something like that. Would even prefer (with liberties taken on position)

Yager-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Laine
DOC-Hayes-Beauvillier
Poulin-Lizotte-Puljujarvi

I think that third line has potential. DOC and Beauvillier have good straight-line speed and can forecheck well. Add that to a bigger Hayes in the middle, it could be an effective line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad