Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If they had tried everything to push this team closer to where it SHOULD be then I wouldn't be upset. Is what it is. Ending is never pretty etc. But they haven't so they can f*** off with all this "rebuild" shit. They're just incompetent, cowardly quitters.

Additionally if these are the losers who are still in charge when the ACTUAL rebuild starts then we should all be that much more reluctant to see it come to pass.

Reactions: Gurglesons

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Explain to me someone why getting picks for 3 years from now is actually secretly better because all it says to me is that we’re bad now and we can’t even get some short term advantage from it. :laugh:

Like I’m willing to hear the reason but I frankly do not see it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If they had tried everything to push this team closer to where it SHOULD be then I wouldn't be upset. Is what it is. Ending is never pretty etc. But they haven't so they can f*** off with all this "rebuild" shit. They're just incompetent, cowardly quitters.

Additionally if these are the losers who are still in charge when the ACTUAL rebuild starts then we should all be that much more reluctant to see it come to pass.

The goal isn’t just to get in the playoffs!

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
As @BlindWillyMcHurt said then don’t pretend it’s a rebuild. It’s Dubas admitting he’s giving up on this season because he won’t make any real changes.
They're not gonna go full nuclear while Sid's here, is basically it. I wish they would but they're too dumb and/or cowardly. So these incremental moves will have to do, because the prince needs his final Olympics. Call 'em rebuilding moves or not, doesn't really matter, they've thrown in the towel as much as they're gonna with Sid still around.
Explain to me someone why getting picks for 3 years from now is actually secretly better because all it says to me is that we’re bad now and we can’t even get some short term advantage from it. :laugh:

Without any bit of sarcasm or snark; The Rangers will probably drop off quite a bit by the 2027 draft because of the age of their big name guys, so it makes more sense to get a pick down the road as opposed to now from a team that's vying for the President's Trophy. :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I might understand getting a pick for next year’s draft if you thought this one was weak but getting picks for three years out just says you got rolled to me.

They're not gonna go full nuclear while Sid's here, is basically it. I wish they would but they're too dumb and/or cowardly. So these incremental moves will have to do, because the prince needs his final Olympics. Call 'em rebuilding moves or not, doesn't really matter, they've thrown in the towel as much as they're gonna with Sid still around.

Without any bit of sarcasm or snark; The Rangers will probably drop off quite a bit by the 2027 draft because of the age of their big name guys, so it makes more sense to get a pick down the road as opposed to now from a team that's vying for the President's Trophy. :laugh:
I guess, but does it really make that much of a difference? It’s not like we’re talking about a first rounder here, and I doubt the Rags are going to be bad enough that the second becomes almost a 1st.

And that 4th! Who cares when a fourth is? :laugh:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I might understand getting a pick for next year’s draft if you thought this one was weak but getting picks for three years out just says you got rolled to me.

I guess, but does it really make that much of a difference?
I don't think any picks outside the top-10 really matter all that much, so I think the more lotto tickets you have in hand the better. /shrug

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Penguins fans last season: Second round picks are whatever. You'll be lucky if you can get one NHL player out of ten picks. Check the odds... you're almost in the same boat just grabbing an UDFA.

Penguins fans several months later: There's GOLD in them thar second rounders! GOLD I TELLS YA!

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't think any picks outside the top-10 really matter all that much, so I think the more lotto tickets you have in hand the better. /shrug
Yeah but why not get them for this upcoming draft? Or the year after? That’s my point, not that they’re second round picks.

Starting to draft the rebuilding pieces in 2027 means we’re not doing a rebuild now.

3 years, no money down!

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

It’s an asset. We don’t have to wait until 2027 to use it/get value for it.

EDIT: Rangers first 2nd round pick was the 2027 pick

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah but why not get them for this upcoming draft? Or the year after? That’s my point, not that they’re second round picks.

Starting to draft the rebuilding pieces in 2027 means we’re not doing a rebuild now.

3 years, no money down!
Maybe that's the best the team could've gotten for a loser like Smith? I dunno. I don't really care. All we're doing is RPing as the guys from the Muppets and finding things to bitch about because we're bored and resentful at the decisions this team's made since like 2019 anymore.

-edit- The team could've gotten the Rangers' 1st rounder for Smith and we'd have bemoaned that it was a worthless 28th overall and essentially a 2nd rounder or something. :laugh:

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Let’s bitch about the average age of the team before we even know what the team is

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Maybe that's the best the team could've gotten for a loser like Smith? I dunno. I don't really care. All we're doing is RPing as the guys from the Muppets and finding things to bitch about because we're bored and resentful at the decisions this team's made since like 2019 anymore.

There's some truth to that. I've always been fond of being um... a bit acerbic even in the best of times. These days as boring, predictable, spiritless and downright unlikeable this team has become it's frankly more fun to rip on them than actually try to pay attention and care. Maybe that sounds awful but hey... I really did try. I genuinely tried to like what Hextall did to "revamp" the defense... oof. I was over the moon about EK... womp womp.

You know what they say... "Fool me once shame on... you? Fool me... can't get fooled again."

I think that's an old Tennessee saying. Maybe Texas?

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
This guy helped put an end to the penguins cup dreams.
1720740286771.png

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I could see them come to a conclusion with sid that he'll re-sign next summer after they see who all is on the pens to "give us the most cap flexibility" by signing a deal that fits in

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Let’s bitch about the average age of the team before we even know what the team is
I'd say we know exactly what the team is. :laugh:
There's some truth to that. I've always been fond of being um... a bit acerbic even in the best of times. These days as boring, predictable, spiritless and downright unlikeable this team has become it's frankly more fun to rip on them than actually try to pay attention and care. Maybe that sounds awful but hey... I really did try. I genuinely tried to like what Hextall did to "revamp" the defense... oof. I was over the moon about EK... womp womp.

You know what they say... "Fool me once shame on... you? Fool me... can't get fooled again."

I think that's an old Tennessee saying. Maybe Texas?
Yeah, I mean, like you've said; the end was always coming, it just didn't have to be this f***ing lame and miserable. But Mario, FSG, Dubas, Hextall, JR and Sullivan did their thing so here we are I guess. :laugh:

Don't get me wrong, this sucks, and I wish they'd have grown a spine and picked an avenue years ago. But it's at the point, like it or not, where the team moving a loser nobody like Smith for a 2nd rounder is a win, albeit small. It's a waiting game now until precious Sid gets his final Olympics before retiring and allowing the era to officially die--even though for all intents and purposes it died when Mario decided not to make changes after the Habs play-in, imo.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh

exactly where SHOULD they be? The window closed in 2018 sport. This team is exactly where it should have been 2 years ago….beginning to rebuild.

That might be news to Guentzel & Rust

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I just don't find it a big deal that the team is in suspended animation at the end of the core's careers. They made a big swing with Karlsson and he/they epically failed to generate a competent power play. They get another chance to do it this year with a different coach.

The whole thing including Karlsson and Sullivan is a monument to how cool things were in 2017 anyway.

When Sid asks out or retires then the actual meaningful work starts. All they can do now is nibble around the edges. I think Dubas is lame and a C-level GM but I don't feel compelled to join Pixies' Bitch Brigade on this one.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Penguins fans last season: Second round picks are whatever. You'll be lucky if you can get one NHL player out of ten picks. Check the odds... you're almost in the same boat just grabbing an UDFA.

Penguins fans several months later: There's GOLD in them thar second rounders! GOLD I TELLS YA!
We should absolutely be aggregating early round picks because of the odds. The more you have the better chance you have getting a NHL player. Not gold, more like lottery tickets on a much smaller scale.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Being gifted EK and the acquisition failing to move the needle -should have- been the driving force and ultimate final straw leading to Sully's dismissal. But, this team loves dysfunction so I gotta sit here and scrape the bottom of the barrel to find the tiniest bit of optimism in landing a 2nd rounder multiple years down the road and shit.

Endlessly resentful of this lame, unlikable organization but fandom's a hell of a drug.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad