Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Pens core guys have never been what I would call "naturals" on the man advantage. Malkin in his heyday was probably the best suited to it. So of course he was made to play outside his comfort zone for years, natch. But even he was never exactly aces on the PP. He just had some overwhelmingly ++ attributes that made him good there in his prime.

But yes. You aren't wrong at all. Much like many other situations the team isn't putting it's best foot forward when it comes to designing the PP schematically and working some wrinkles in that isn't just "that one set play we try every single time." Accountability (beyond just the same two players over and over) would be nice, too. But that's expecting too much, here.

I'm sure Quinn will fix it, though...

They haven't. But they have enough talent and IQ that they should be able to be a top ten unit if we weren't running the same umbrella strategy we have been running since 2015.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
They haven't. But they have enough talent and IQ that they should be able to be a top ten unit if we weren't running the same umbrella strategy we have been running since 2015.

It's almost like other teams pay attention to what you are doing and adjust or something.

I hear they even have whole JOBS devoted to checking out what other teams are doing and developing strategies to counter it! Wild!

Boy lets hope THAT isn't true or the utterly incomprehensible and unnecessary amount of set plays the Penguins run every game would be awfully moronic and easy to see coming wouldn't they? Phew!

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Do you even watch games or do you just go on NST and judge players based on points/60?

Pettersson has literally zero skills that make him a fit on the powerplay. Literally nothing in his entire game suggests "PP1" player.
No. Never seen a game in my life. I actually hate the sport and am only interested in the statistical aspect of it.
I generally wait for the games/periods to end and then check the data. Been doing this since the 90s, albeit with minimal info accessible to fans in those days.

When I've participated in GDTs in the past, I was just occasionally refreshing Natural Stat Trick and then chiming in based on that.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
The Pens core guys have never been what I would call "naturals" on the man advantage. Malkin in his heyday was probably the best suited to it.
100% - including Guentzel

You could probably group Kessel and Neal into “suited for PP duty” but Kessel couldn’t one time the puck (and for that reason never got why they didn’t use him on his strong side even a little).

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Taylor Haase reporting that Matt Nieto is skating today and could be ready for camp. Another bottom 6 candidate.
Probably waived even if healthy.

Could see a basement team like San Jose taking him so they can flip him again at the deadline, like they did a couple seasons ago.

Frankly we should trade him and a couple other forwards. It’s nice to have depth but as it stands right now that depth is going to push prospects down the lineup in WB/S and a bunch of sulking veterans isn’t good for the team vibe down there anyway.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Will be interesting to see if Nieto can top his 1 goal per 22 game rate from last year.
Anyone remember the usual suspects hyping up the offensive side of his game in summer '23 and bashing those who disagreed?
Maybe only Pepperidge Farm...

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Smart by Nieto tbh.

His best chance is playing well now and either getting waived and claimed elsewhere, or if he gets through to WBS - being remember fondly as a vet call up option. Rather than waiting to return until November and being forgotten.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Nieto looks like Greg Norton from Hüsker Dü circa 1984.

Husker-Du.png

Reactions: BillPrep

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
It is good news for the PK at least. I'll give Nieto credit there. He was good on that unit.
Since Sully prios that, this probably means Nieto will block a more capable Forward overall.
Only things that can derail that is Nieto's availability or Dubas going against Sullivan's wishes and getting rid of him.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You hate to be negative about a guy getting healthy but Nieto is probably an inferior player to most of the NHL ready (and some not) AHL guys. Even in this busted-ass system.

I'm sure Mike Sullivan will judge based on merit, only.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
You hate to be negative about a guy getting healthy but Nieto is probably an inferior player to most of the NHL ready (and some not) AHL guys. Even in this busted-ass system.

I'm sure Mike Sullivan will judge based on merit, only.
Mike Sullivan’s decisions are all solely merit-based, as he’ll tell you after every practice and game lol

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Nieto when healthy will be here if they waive another player. But my guess is he is moved to a team in need of a fourth line guy. While Dubas has said the Pens are not a blow it up franchise, he will need to move veteran contracts to continue the picks, prospects and getting younger. Many are expecting Sid to extend for another 3 years or so to finish his one helmet career as a Pen. But I am not 100% in on that. Sid thinking he wants to compete for a cup and skating with Nathan may just be attractive enough to at least think about that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

It seems so weird that both sides are saying that they're optimistic a deal gets done, as if there is some sort of negotiation going on here. The negotiation is "give Crosby what he wants".

Like what is there to negotiate here? This isn't like it was with Malkin where they were nickel and diming him on how many years they'd give. I have no doubts that they'd give Crosby an 8 year deal if he asked for one.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
It seems so weird that both sides are saying that they're optimistic a deal gets done, as if there is some sort of negotiation going on here. The negotiation is "give Crosby what he wants".
I really think it was a matter of Sid taking the summer to determine how long he wants to play and sign for and then he’ll have a decision by training camp. It lines up with what Friedman reported last week.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Yeah like if Sid asks for 10x4, what is Dubas going to say? "No sorry Sid, please make it 9m so we can have more money in FA". Give the guy what he wants and slap a NMC on it lol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I'm really, really trying not to stoke any kind of negativity here but what a bizarre quote lol

Yeah I'm not being negative at all with it, I just think it's weird.

My only thought is what @ThosePuckingPenguins said above, in that the team is like "we'll give you whatever you want" and it's just Crosby deciding what he wants. The "optimism" is that Crosby knows whatever he wants is acceptable with the Penguins, it's just Crosby needing to figure out what that means.

Sideline

May 23, 2004

Like what is there to negotiate here? This isn't like it was with Malkin where they were nickel and diming him on how many years they'd give. I have no doubts that they'd give Crosby an 8 year deal if he asked for one.
I think it might be more Sid deciding what he wants than Dubas not offering it. Like if Dubas said "Here are the numbers I was thinking on 2, 3, 4, and 5 years. Does anything on that menu make sense to you?" Sid could just be trying to decide how long he wants to commit to playing.

Edit: my point got sniped by faster typists. Generally agree with the above.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I can't imagine he isn't waived after camp. Or put up as a FC trade option for someone. He's WBS bound at best.

DOC/RM-Sid-Rust
Bunt-Geno-Rakes
RM-Hayes-Beauvillier
Lizotte-Eller-Acciari

Unless Matt Nieto, ya know, beats out McGroarty, Puustinen, Glass, and anyone else in camp. Then it's:

DOC-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Lizotte-Hayes-Beauvillier
Nieto-Eller-Acciari

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think it might be more Sid deciding what he wants than Dubas not offering it. Like if Dubas said "Here are the numbers I was thinking on 2, 3, 4, and 5 years. Does anything on that menu make sense to you?" Sid could just be trying to decide how long he wants to commit to playing.

Edit: my point got sniped by faster typists. Generally agree with the above.
Someone did mention that Sid doesn't want to hamstring the team with 35+ contract if something happens. But I imagine you're right, they are putting together multiple options for multiple lengths and then discussing what the team looks like year by year which might impact how long Sid wants to play for. If I'm him, I wait until after the season is done to resign. Leaves the option of being a rental open. Then I would do a year-by-year after that, but I can't imagine Dubas or FSG would like that, as it might affect corporate sponsorship, ticket sales, etc. One extra year puts him in line with Malkin. 3 extra puts him in line with Letang.

My dream scenario is they do whatever this year - good, bad, whatever. Then next off-season you sell of Rust, Rakell, Letang/EK, etc and you stink to high heaven. Then you get a top pick and give Uncle Gary the wink and you get 1ov in 2026. Draft McKenna and watch Sid mentor him for 2 years before retiring.

Last edited:

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Yeah I'm not being negative at all with it, I just think it's weird.

My only thought is what @ThosePuckingPenguins said above, in that the team is like "we'll give you whatever you want" and it's just Crosby deciding what he wants. The "optimism" is that Crosby knows whatever he wants is acceptable with the Penguins, it's just Crosby needing to figure out what that means.
Yep, it's exactly this. He knows the parameters, he knows the approach the Pens have taken and the communication, and it's just him deciding on Contract A, B, C, whatever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad