Post-Game Talk: Pens suck

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
We could really use a Hornqvist type player for the PP. If we’re not getting a new coach and it looks like Sully has romanced the entire org.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
This team is so dead in the water. It is the exact same shit every year. We are essentially just killing time until the core retires and the rebuild can start. This is the worst sort of purgatory for fans. There's nothing to watch for unless you just want the nostalgia of seeing the old stars.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
It's almost impossible to win in this league by playing a soft, perimeter game. The planets need to align to get those perfect tic tac toe passes to connect. And when Buffalo ramped up the physicality, we turtled.

For years, this team's needed a net-front presence on the PP. The problem is, those guys tend to be big, and usually have a bit of snarl to them. Those are traits Sullivan loathes, so instead, our PP just passes around the perimeter for 2 minutes while 5'8" Guentzel occassionally enters the crease for a second until he's knocked on his ass.

We've also needed a 4th line (well, and a 3rd line) with an identity. I couldn't care less if our 4th line ever scores a goal. But they need to be able to grind, eat minutes, make life miserable for opponents, and change momentum when needed. Instead, Sully wants a random collection of soft scrubs that play 6 minutes a night and contribute nothing. Wonder why Sid and Geno are gassed in the 3rd period?

None of these things will ever change under Sullivan. JR tried addressing it, and Sully ran all of those types of players out of town. You guys get all bent after a loss like this. What's the definition of insanity again? I've been saying for 5 years this team will never win again playing 'Sully hockey', so it doesn't surprise me in the least.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
I think Jim Montgomery would actually make them a legitimate contender.
Yeah He did Great for the Bruins last season

It's almost impossible to win in this league by playing a soft, perimeter game. The planets need to align to get those perfect tic tac toe passes to connect. And when Buffalo ramped up the physicality, we turtled.

For years, this team's needed a net-front presence on the PP. The problem is, those guys tend to be big, and usually have a bit of snarl to them. Those are traits Sullivan loathes, so instead, our PP just passes around the perimeter for 2 minutes while 5'8" Guentzel occassionally enters the crease for a second until he's knocked on his ass.

We've also needed a 4th line (well, and a 3rd line) with an identity. I couldn't care less if our 4th line ever scores a goal. But they need to be able to grind, eat minutes, make life miserable for opponents, and change momentum when needed. Instead, Sully wants a random collection of soft scrubs that play 6 minutes a night and contribute nothing. Wonder why Sid and Geno are gassed in the 3rd period?

None of these things will ever change under Sullivan. JR tried addressing it, and Sully ran all of those types of players out of town. You guys get all bent after a loss like this. What's the definition of insanity again? I've been saying for 5 years this team will never win again playing 'Sully hockey', so it doesn't surprise me in the least.
You say a ton of Dumb shit

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
It's actually incredible how high the chance of the Pens losing is when they allow even a single goal. Panic sets in and they only beat some of the worst teams in the league or a team with goalie having an absolute nightmare. And in all other cases they not only lose but lose in regulation too. Astonishing loser mentality from a team full of veterans many of whom have Stanley Cup rings. This time they even scored an own goal to help the Sabres along.

Can't they just get annihilated rather than hanging on in games and then snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (or at least the jaws of loser point) again and again? The power play is, in addition to the clueless structure, a microcosm of the lack of poise of the Penguins. Veteran superstars keep making rookie mistakes, forcing plays left, right and centre. When DOC lost his stick on our PK and the Sabres kept us on the ropes for like one minute that was more self-assurance and doing well the obvious things you are supposed to do in such a situation (even if it didn't lead to a goal) for a PP unit that I have seen from the Pens in the entire last month. We can blame individual players but as long as the team in general is a mental midget, games like this one will keep happening again and again.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
When is our midseason fire current coach and bring up the WBS coach to make the playoffs and win another Cup?
Just asking...
Should get 3 straight Cups out of it if I have my story straight...

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Hmmm..

*Roster had turnover in the off season to make it more Sullys team, 6th year running...
*Bizarre roster usage.
*System that doesn't evolve or adapt so we blame players as the problem...
*Inconsistent play at both ends.
*Giving up leads.

Riight, tell me again Kindergarten Kyle, why you feel this is the right coaching staff for this team again? Because we resort to blaming the GM because the GMs have refused to fire this f***ing clown for a while now.

My choices still are - Nelson or Carle. Or hire both to be honest with one as the head coach and the other the next coach when they need to fire Nelson whenever.

We could have had Monty or Cassidy that year, but FSGoofs kept Sullivan on, gave his dumb ass an extension too.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
RW’s take on the game…he was there live lol

“I decided to go to the game so I missed the news about the whole power play shakeup the team went with tonight. I loathe it. You couldn’t come up with a more derpy solution than separating Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby. The solution was to have Radim Zohorna and Alex Nylander on the same power play? Vinnie Hinostroza had more power play time than Evgeni Malkin tonight. It is such a weird self-own to deploy things like this. It is imperative this coaching staff figures out answers to the power play that include their best personnel. If they can’t then they aren’t up for the job. It really is that simple.

I have always maintained, and still do, that Mike Sullivan is a good head coach. However, we’re on four years of pretty meh results. Roster construction has certainly hurt him, but so has his lack of creativity in coming up with solutions. There’s never any line juggling mid-game. I mentioned in the last blog to find ways to get Crosby and Malkin together at 5v5. He did the opposite by splitting them even on the power play. There was a Sabres icing at the end of the period. There were 25.9 seconds left. The fourth line had just come off the ice. A freebie if there ever was one to put Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, and Karlsson out there. These things add up and when a team is desperate like the Penguins are you’d think you’d want to fire all of your shots.”

“There is nothing about Ryan Grave’s game that speaks to being a 4.5M player. He’s just kinda there and I don’t think kinda there is a standard the Penguins can be throwing 4.5M at. I made a point to try and find things to latch onto on what could justify the cost and came up empty. I realize this is one game, but other than shooting the puck hard I haven’t seen much in the other games so far this season either. Dubas inherited the Carter contract. He’s on the hook for the Graves one.”

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

This team is so dead in the water. It is the exact same shit every year. We are essentially just killing time until the core retires and the rebuild can start. This is the worst sort of purgatory for fans. There's nothing to watch for unless you just want the nostalgia of seeing the old stars.
Well, this has been my main point for the last 3 offseasons. You're simply delaying the starting over for at least 6 years. There was absolutely a way to keep a star or two and retool with youth to be competitive now and into the near future.
What's aggravating is that the core felt like they deserved such a long swan song, not realizing that even the most loyal of their superfans will turn on them once they catch on to their ruse.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I think if Kindergarten Kyle sees his ex team destroy his current team, he might finally get off that high chair and slam his sippy cup down with enough anger to fire Sullivan the next day.

Well, this has been my main point for the last 3 offseasons. You're simply delaying the starting over for at least 6 years. There was absolutely a way to keep a star or two and retool with youth to be competitive now and into the near future.
What's aggravating is that the core felt like they deserved such a long swan song, not realizing that even the most loyal of their superfans will turn on them once they catch on to their ruse.
I was 100% against bringing back Letang and I still feel like it was the wrong move. Keeping Geno was fine. But I'm also in the boat that thinks the team should be moving Guentzel to get back some massive retool pieces that can help now and in the future more than another bad long term deal for a 30yr old that doesn't play the same way anymore.

A lot of this is because the team panders to the core and the coach vs what's the right thing to do for a team that needs a future.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
I think if Kindergarten Kyle sees his ex team destroy his current team, he might finally get off that high chair and slam his sippy cup down with enough anger to fire Sullivan the next day.

I was 100% against bringing back Letang and I still feel like it was the wrong move. Keeping Geno was fine. But I'm also in the boat that thinks the team should be moving Guentzel to get back some massive retool pieces that can help now and in the future more than another bad long term deal for a 30yr old that doesn't play the same way anymore.

A lot of this is because the team panders to the core and the coach vs what's the right thing to do for a team that needs a future.
OH Cool Now you have taken over for Pens X with the f***ing Pejorative Slured Names

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
yeah, keeping the core was fine…it’s the players around them…you can’t keep signing or bringing in 30+ aged wingers to play with them anymore…younger players have to fill out the rest of the roster…I wanted to go in this direction when Letang and Geno were UFAs…sign 27-28 years olds, trade for RFAs…I wasn’t interested in resigning Rust or Rakell…those are players you let walk….not in favor of resigning Jake at this point either….why is our fourth line made up of all 30+ players…

Reactions: Coastal Kev

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Just finished! :laugh:

2-0 lead and they blow up and lose 3-2 bahaha... in classic fashion too.
Tanger giveaway, EK with the own goal... classic classic classic penguins sullied loss.
Cheers to another implosive defeat this evening!!!
:clap:

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Can't we have Fire Reirden and Sullivan chant on the games instead of some irrelevantStop shifting the blame to Sullivan or Reirdan or Carter or whoever the f*** else.

Stop Shifting the blame to Sullivan or Reirdan or Carter or Jrry or whoerver the f*** else

These f***g "superstars are complete f***g useless idiots.

These f***g "superstars f***g suck.

They f***g suck.

They asre f***g lazy and entiteld and moody and can't bring themselves to battle and grind out a win when points are on the line.

They are a complete f***g joke.

They f***g suck.

F***g idiots

Embarrassing. Have a two goal lead going into the third period and give up three goals to lose. I’m sorry, but Dubas has to do something with this coaching staff.

Nope.

This team's f***g "superstar core" are f***g useless losers and idiots.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
At this point I just hope they finish outside of the top-10 so we can give that pick to the sharks. Have no hope for this team to do anything. Sucks wasting good years from Sid/EK/Rust etc like this

If Sid and EK were having "good years" - theywouldn't be losing so many games.

They are complete f***g lazy idiots.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Honestly I feel like you’d get thrown out of the arena for trying to start a chant against the almighty Mike Sullivan and his idiot co-pilots.
If this was Byslma coaching the team through several first round exits, even having a 3 game lead to 1 and blowing 3 straight to AGAIN lose in the first round.... then not even make the playoffs? He'd been fired long ago or just agree to move on from the club. What Sullied has sullied this team with and been allowed to continue doing so, grounds for not watching / spend a penny on penguins gear so this club gets nothing from me until sulli is GONE.
Beyond insulting that this loser on ice product is acceptable. It's just baffling really... does anyone honestly suspect Sullied and crew to COACH this team into a playoff run? :laugh: Be serious......

Invalid cuz QoC

Jan 30, 2017
A1A92653-1F72-441B-9011-77865ECE7919.gif

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
RW’s take on the game…he was there live lol

“... Vinnie Hinostroza had more power play time than Evgeni Malkin tonight. It is such a weird self-own to deploy things like this. It is imperative this coaching staff figures out answers to the power play that include their best personnel. If they can’t then they aren’t up for the job. It really is that simple.
There is nothing about Ryan Grave’s game that speaks to being a 4.5M player. He’s just kinda there and I don’t think kinda there is a standard the Penguins can be throwing 4.5M at. I made a point to try and find things to latch onto on what could justify the cost and came up empty. I realize this is one game, but other than shooting the puck hard I haven’t seen much in the other games so far this season either. Dubas inherited the Carter contract. He’s on the hook for the Graves one.”
PP is on coaching. Fix that and we would have won 2 of the last 3 games.

Graves isn't a problem. He's young, plays hard, and still has upside. The only knock I have against him is he tries to do too much offensively. He needs to defer more to Letang. I think that's on what the coaches are asking him to do.

As for the Buff game...
Pretty simple...
--- PP
--- 3rd period team structure. I couldn't tell what we were trying to do in the 3rd. Score the 3rd goal? or defend a 2-0 lead? It looks like some of both, and a bunch of neither.

The thing is BOTH of these 2 issues are fixable, and are 100% on the coaches!!

Fine...Sully is untouchable (for now), Reardon needs to go!!! Find someone that actually know HOW to run a PP!

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
We could really use a Hornqvist type player for the PP. If we’re not getting a new coach and it looks like Sully has romanced the entire org.

I'm gonna piggyback off this to state that this is a marathon not a race, as far as having 2 #1 PP units. If they are going to do this, and with Rust/Rakell coming back at some point, you can't just get frustrated and walk away from the premise. It will take time, and it could end up being one of the few advantages they could throw at teams not giving them a break for the entire 2 minutes, while not stretching the old legs use and always able to ice good competition for a full 60.

I do agree when having a lead, the team needs to play the 3rd/4th a little more, and if they insist on having the top lines out, they could instead just double shift guys with those players.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
PP is on coaching. Fix that and we would have won 2 of the last 3 games.

Graves isn't a problem. He's young, plays hard, and still has upside. The only knock I have against him is he tries to do too much offensively. He needs to defer more to Letang. I think that's on what the coaches are asking him to do.

As for the Buff game...
Pretty simple...
--- PP
--- 3rd period team structure. I couldn't tell what we were trying to do in the 3rd. Score the 3rd goal? or defend a 2-0 lead? It looks like some of both, and a bunch of neither.

The thing is BOTH of these 2 issues are fixable, and are 100% on the coaches!!

Fine...Sully is untouchable (for now), Reardon needs to go!!! Find someone that actually know HOW to run a PP!
Do YOU REALLY think they listen to Reirden ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad