Pacioretty - Domi - Robertson
Lorentz - Kampf - Reaves

And the defensive pairings:

Rielly - Tanev
Ekman-Larsson - McCabe
Benoit - Timmins
Liljegren - Myers

Love it except Timmins

Last game one of Benoit or Timmins (could only see the '2') had the puck in the corner, uncovered in the d-zone and just stood there for a couple seconds and then got swarmed. A couple seconds is an eternity.

It looked like controller malfunction.

Put the Leafs under pressure and I was trying to understand why?

Froze?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I seriously don't get his obsession with Timmins, he's terrible
The fact they are using him on the PK isn't good either. He's only a PP guy but he won't get in over Rielly or OEL so whats his use then? At least Lilly is a capable PKer and he doesn't need the PP.

Liljegren will hopefully get some games in soon
His days are numbered and this team will regret it

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Last game one of Benoit or Timmins (could only see the '2') had the puck in the corner, uncovered in the d-zone and just stood there for a couple seconds and then got swarmed. A couple seconds is an eternity.

Froze
Berube when Timmins makes a mistake
jim-carrey-jim-carrey-dumb-and-dumber.gif

Berube when Liljegren makes a mistake
giphy_s.gif

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005

Froze?
Was likely Timmins. His reaction time is abysmal.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The fact they are using him on the PK isn't good either. He's only a PP guy but he won't get in over Rielly or OEL so whats his use then? At least Lilly is a capable PKer and he doesn't need the PP.

His days are numbered and this team will regret it
No we won't. You've been pumping this guy for years and years, it's never happened. And he's shit on the PK too btw.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Bet the schedule makers thought they were absolute geniuses making us play NJ and Pittsburgh at the start of the year... Does anyone even care about Keefe and Dubas?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Also, the Nylander @ C idea looks to be officially done as well.

Perhaps. I just hope people don’t parade around claiming it failed again. Because less than 4 periods, 3 being the first game of the preseason, is so far from a legitimate attempt to make it work it’s laughable.

At this point just say you like nylander the winger and stop talking about C because they’ve created this big narrative that it keeps failing because people can’t use critical thinking

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Berube seems to really like Holmberg. Has had a prominent PK role as well.

I actually really like Domi with Patches and Robertson. Domi is better on the wing but you're still putting an elite passer with two great shots.

Reactions: Burnie97

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They've stated many times they wanted to give him looks there incase he needed to shift there or take draws. This was always overblown by media.

It really has never been attempted.

But I think his record on face-offs is fine.

However, I don't think he thinks a great deal about defending and if he's at center what defensive wingers would you match him up with? Keeping in mind, you want his line to be an offensive line.
So build an offensive line that has defensively capable wingers who can also produce? Make it with available players and not some makebelieveplayerfromanothermother.

I don't see the depth to leave the Matthews line intact and build a 2nd. scoring line with Nylander as the center.

And realistically, Domi isn't a center, nor is he good defensively.

McMann - Nylander - Holmberg (Nylander with 2 players still trying to figure out where they fit in the hierarchy of the NHL).

Sounds like we might see those 3 together tonight, but with Holmberg as the center.

I wish them good luck, but do we consider McMann and Holmberg second liners? Rhetorical question ...

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
It's just a matter of time until he is traded.
If so it will likely be pretty brutal asset management. Not much of a market for trades right now with teams having just set their rosters, and for a player that is in the press box? Pennies on the dollar is all we can expect if that’s the case.

No reason to do it if we aren’t going to use that cap space, and aren’t sold on Timmins.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
If so it will likely be pretty brutal asset management. Not much of a market for trades right now with teams having just set their rosters, and for a player that is in the press box? Pennies on the dollar is all we can expect if that’s the case.

No reason to do it if we aren’t going to use that cap space, and aren’t sold on Timmins.
It's probably a draft pick and cap space, but those are both important things for a team that wants to add in order to win the Cup this season.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Middle 6 changes would have looked a lot better tonight with this slight difference:

Robertson/Patches-Holmberg-Nylander
Patches/Robertson-Domi-McMann

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
It's probably a draft pick and cap space, but those are both important things for a team that wants to add in order to win the Cup this season.
If we can get at least a 2nd round pick, sure, but I can’t see that happening so soon and without him playing.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Perhaps. I just hope people don’t parade around claiming it failed again. Because less than 4 periods, 3 being the first game of the preseason, is so far from a legitimate attempt to make it work it’s laughable.

At this point just say you like nylander the winger and stop talking about C because they’ve created this big narrative that it keeps failing because people can’t use critical thinking
I'm not.

How could it have failed if it barely even happened. That said, he's just likely better on the wing.

Mitch is one that should be given a look @ C.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think this one will be a bit of a laugher. Pittsburgh is horrendous defensively and their goaltending is hope and a prayer level. Lots of goals for the Leafs tonight, but I think they also continue to be defensively sound..

Hope you are right but let's to honest nobody is sold on our goaltending either Although admittedly It's off to a VERY promising start.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Middle 6 changes would have looked a lot better tonight with this slight difference:

Robertson/Patches-Holmberg-Nylander
Patches/Robertson-Domi-McMann

Disagree. Nylander could use a puck retriever/forechecker like McMann, he's better at it then Robertson or Patches.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Hope you are right but let's to honest nobody is sold on our goaltending either Although admittedly It's off to a VERY promising start.
I think you are the only one who is wary of the goaltending. I think most of the rest of us think it's been the best tandem the Leafs have had in years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad