Confirmed with Link: Pens Acquire Oleksiak for 2019 4th (Conditional)

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Heard rumor that a deal that may shake the pens and fans to their core might occur. What is the policy about rumors from people who work in the industry?
Not sure how that’d be any different than posting something that McKenzie or Lebrun, etc. would tweet. Just spill the beans.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
We've definitely had some trouble defending this year, and with guys running roughshod over our goalies, hopefully Oleksiak helps that.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Hearing Panthers high on Jarry

Names include Jarry, Cole, Letang, Malkin, Bjugstad, Dadonov, and petrovic

I don't believe Malkin would be moved but evidently Florida is tiring of its young core not meeting expectations. JR has been in contact for a couple weeks

Last edited:
Reactions: Pens x

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Can a Penguins fan explain wanting to trade Ian Cole? He seems like a very good player to me. Steady. Whats the hurry to move him. I know his deal is in its last year. Has he said he wants a lot of money?

Just confused and looking for some insight.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Can a Penguins fan explain wanting to trade Ian Cole? He seems like a very good player to me. Steady. Whats the hurry to move him. I know his deal is in its last year. Has he said he wants a lot of money?

Can't afford him, and we need help up front.

That's pretty much all there is to it.

Reactions: TLEH

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Not sure how anyone can see this as anything other than a potential Cole or Hunwick replacement. And most likely it will be the former.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

He’s a pending UFA who will realistically be too expensive to re-sign and I think some GM will make the mistake of paying him like a 4D when he’s more of a great 5D. He also can’t play with Hunwick. The Pens need more forward depth and I’d say all of this makes him the logical choice to get it.

And the team needs a shock.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
What dollar amount is he looking at. 5 for 6 ? I know he's 27 looking at a big UFA deal, but what can the Pens afford? More than 4? He isn't particularly offensively gifted and doesn't quite play 1st pair LD minutes.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

We have 5 left handed def and none of them can play the right side.

Somebody needs to go.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Hearing Panthers high on Jarry

Names include Jarry, Cole, Letang, Malkin, Bjugstad, donadov, and petrovic

I don't believe Malkin would be moved but evidently Florida is tiring of its young core not meeting expectations. JR has been in contact for a couple weeks

So if Jarry is traded, Leighton becomes the back up ?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
What dollar amount is he looking at. 5 for 6 ? More? He isn't particularly offensively gifted and doesn't quite play 1st pair LD minutes.

I don't think that’s known. 4-ish? All it takes is one idiot seeing him as a physical, cup winning top 4 defenseman

If the Pens were desperate to keep him they could probably make it work but they shouldn’t.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Several reasons.
A. Will not be able to afford his next contract (3.5m+).
B. Have internal replacements that can bring a lot of what he can. Not all, and not quite as good, but we can get most of it.
C. His trade value is likely high enough that we can move him (prob as part of a pkg) and get a return that will fill a hole we hav - aka 3c or good top 9lw.

When u add it all up, if you can get someone who makes sense then moving him isn't the worst idea. You don't move him for value or asset management, but if you can get the right piece it would be a smart move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad