Post-Game Talk: Pens 4 Habs 0 | Beau + The Boys Win One for the Duper

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Michael8771*

Not to nitpick too much but since the first seven or so games of the season Horny hasn't impressed me all that much. And his production has taken a noticeable drop.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Missed most of the third period, but from the two and a bit periods I did see, the Pens looked really dialed in. Structurally, strategically, this is a much better team than what we saw last season.

That third line was huge tonight. Glad to see Bennett get on the scoreboard in a big way, too. Hopefully that will be a confidence boost for him and tonight will become more the rule than the exception, production-wise. Downie and Sutter were also great tonight.

All in all, a good effort against one of the best in the East.

-----

Now for the minuses, but they're not necessarily just about tonight, but have been minuses for a while.

-Kunitz. What the ****? He's sleepwalking through this season. He's been absolutely terrible. If that's his effort level from here on out, I wouldn't shed a single tear if he's dealt. I don't give a damn about his goals (largely on the PP). The guy is a minus every single time he's out there 5 on 5.

-Adams/Sill. I thought the goal was to improve upon a pretty lousy and unproductive fourth line from last year. Sure, it's not allowing as many goals as last year's version did. But it's also zero threat to score, just like last year's version. If we're going far in the playoffs, line four will also have to chip in timely goals. Between Adams and Sill, I'd be surprised if they score 10 goals between them this season.

Kunitz still puts in effort when he has the puck along the boards in the offensive zone, but aside from that he just glides around.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Nice to see Beau finally break out and flash the skills and performance we know he's capable of.

The team seems much more consistent defensively this season.

Nice to have a big time 3rd line again too. It's been a few years.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
+ Third line and Bennett killing it - I think that the Pens need three scoring lines to succeed in the playoffs and the best way to do that is with Bennett on the third line. Downie is a poor substitute and spends too much time in the box. That said I wouldn't mind Bennett getting some shifts with Malkin
+ Team defense - minor lapses aside (odd man rushes, etc) defenders had good gap, players were getting in shooting and passing lanes, and it looked good
+ Fleury's shutout

= Sill - in Sill's defense this was one of his better games handling the puck. Unfortunately he wasn't a very productive player in any other way.

- Kunitz-Crosby-Comeau - Comeau looked as bad as Kunitz. Crosby set them both up several times, and they both played like ****. Dupuis if he is in the top 6 should be with Crosby, and Comeau should be with Malkin.
- Malkin-Hornqvist - There isn't any instantaneous chemistry there. Hopefully, if Johnston keeps them together, they figure **** out.
- Spaling - shouldn't be in the top 6. Put Comeau with Malkin and move Spaling to the third or fourth line
- Bennett on his off wing - he can play on his off-hand but he's better as a right wing.

Hopefully Dupuis is not ill/injured long-term, and Johnston returns to something resembling this:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist
Downie-Sutter-Bennett
Spaling-Goc-Adams

even if I would prefer seeing lines like Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist, Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett, Spaling-Sutter-Bennett, Comeau/Dupuis-Sutter-Bennett tested out.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
It is so, so nice to have a good 3rd line again. I don't even care that the 1st and 2nd line only produced on the PP this game. Everyone knows that it will take time and new pieces for the top 6 to work out, but the 3rd line, goaltending and team defense winning the games is. NICE.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm really not a fan of Megna as a 4th liner, I don't think he brings much in that role. If they made a call up just for 4th line duty, I'd rather look at guys like Uher or Farnham instead.

Michael8771*

I'm really not a fan of Megna as a 4th liner, I don't think he brings much in that role. If they made a call up just for 4th line duty, I'd rather look at guys like Uher or Farnham instead.
I'm a huge fan of that if it means Sill is demoted.

Country Mac

Violent Gents Unite
Apr 7, 2014
San Diego, CA
A trash top 6 with a killer third line is an excellent regular season strategy when you have Sid/Geno in the top 6

Sid/Geno are crushing it all alone at ES despite not producing, so they still draw top competition, while the 3rd line rakes against favorable matchups

3rd line gets ES points, Sid/Geno/Hörny get PP points, everyone's happy

Not okay with a trash top 6 in the playoffs though

Michael8771*

A trash top 6 with a killer third line is an excellent regular season strategy when you have Sid/Geno in the top 6

Sid/Geno are crushing it all alone at ES despite not producing, so they still draw top competition, while the 3rd line rakes against favorable matchups

3rd line gets ES points, Sid/Geno/Hörny get PP points, everyone's happy

Not okay with a trash top 6 in the playoffs though
If the Pens don't make any trades they won't win a cup regardless. They need to fortify the top six (which we're all aware of). Leaving Bennett with Sutter long term makes a lot of sense.

I know you hate Sill, but I'm saying in the event he is demoted, I'd look at other players before Megna.
Such as?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I know you hate Sill, but I'm saying in the event he is demoted, I'd look at other players before Megna.

I think when everyone's healthy, a line of Spaling/Goc/Megna could actually be a quality 4th line. Enough defensive presence there, plus the added benefit of having 3 guys who can also score some goals, which the current 4th line is incapable of doing.

Of course, that would require Craig Adams also being scratched/waived. Apparently that's against the rules, based on the fact he's never out of the lineup.

Michael8771*

I think when everyone's healthy, a line of Spaling/Goc/Megna could actually be a quality 4th line. Enough defensive presence there, plus the added benefit of having 3 guys who can also score some goals, which the current 4th line is incapable of doing.

Of course, that would require Craig Adams also being scratched/waived. Apparently that's against the rules, based on the fact he's never out of the lineup.
I feel very confident in saying that Goc would very much appreciate this change.:nod::yo:

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
I agree, Megna may actually work on the 4th line.

But anything is better than Sill.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

Farnham, who I know you also hate, or Uher. Both bring physical play, Uher is also solid defensively and can slot in at center if needed. Megna can play center a bit too, but he's looked lost every time I've seen him there. With Farnham, you get speed and tenacity, with Uher you get a guy that plays a solid all around game and is a pest, while not being inept offensively. Payerl is another candidate, I guess, but he hasn't impressed me in the games I've seen.

I think if they're going to roll 3 scoring lines, the 4th line should be a gritty, tough forechecking line. With the way the roster is currently composed, I don't see a place for Megna.

That line is too soft for my tastes, but everyone has a different idea of what they want the roster to look like. Ideally, Comeau drops back down to the 4th line because they acquire another forward and Adams just goes away somehow.

Michael8771*

I agree, Megna may actually work on the 4th line.

But anything is better than Sill.
No doubt about that.:handclap:

Farnham, who I know you also hate, or Uher. Both bring physical play, Uher is also solid defensively and can slot in at center if needed. Megna can play center a bit too, but he's looked lost every time I've seen him there. With Farnham, you get speed and tenacity, with Uher you get a guy that plays a solid all around game and is a pest, while not being inept offensively. Payerl is another candidate, I guess, but he hasn't impressed me in the games I've seen.

I think if they're going to roll 3 scoring lines, the 4th line should be a gritty, tough forechecking line. With the way the roster is currently composed, I don't see a place for Megna.
Yes I hate Farnham also, you have a good memory. ;)

But Megna has speed, drives to the net and would be fairly skilled as far as 4th liners go. As I said Goc would likely appreciate this change. It's not just about physicality, it's about puck possession and creating scoring chances. We could use a bit more offense on the 4th line. We're getting hemmed in our D zone quite a lot with the Sills and Adams of the world.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009

What do you think about Rust getting a look there? I haven't seen any WBS games yet this year, but I hear he's playing very responsibly on the defensive side of the puck and chipping in with the goals as well. I'm not sure how physically he's been playing though.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Probably has been said, but Downie has good hands and is so strong on the puck. He and Dupuis would make a really good top 6 winger - Downpuis.

Malkin112*

Yep Michael was right Sill is horrible hockey player. Worse than Glass

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
No doubt about that.:handclap:

Yes I hate Farnham also, you have a good memory. ;)

But Megna has speed, drives to the net and would be fairly skilled as far as 4th liners go. As I said Goc would likely appreciate this change. It's not just about physicality, it's about puck possession and creating scoring chances. We could use a bit more offense on the 4th line.

I think Uher could bring some of the same things, he's not quite as fast as Megna, but he's a bull in front of the net and has some pretty nice hands in tight. He's stronger along the boards as well. He could help a lot with possession.

What do you think about Rust getting a look there? I haven't seen any WBS games yet this year, but I hear he's playing very responsibly on the defensive side of the puck and chipping in with the goals as well. I'm not sure how physically he's been playing though.

I actually completely forgot about Rust, he's been very good in the games I've seen. He's been pretty physical, although he's not going to be crushing people like Uher or Farnham. I wouldn't be opposed to him getting a look either, but it might be better for his development to hang out in WBS for a bit, he's getting quality minutes down there.

Michael8771*

Sill is our new Adams and we still have Adams.

I don't know how to feel about this.
How about sick to your stomach.

Yep Michael was right Sill is horrible hockey player. Worse than Glass
One of very few things I'd question MJ on but yeah, Sill, he's pretty bad.

I think Uher could bring some of the same things, he's not quite as fast as Megna, but he's a bull in front of the net and has some pretty nice hands in tight. He's stronger along the boards as well. He could help a lot with possession.
I could live with giving Uher a look, but I'd still prefer Megna.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
How about sick to your stomach.

One of very few things I'd question MJ on but yeah, Sill, he's pretty bad.

I could live with giving Uher a look, but I'd still prefer Megna.

I'd respect your posts a lot more if you stopped referring to yourself in the 3rd person. It comes off as creepy.

"It puts the lotion on it's skin or it gets the hose again."

Michael8771*

I'd respect your posts a lot more if you stopped referring to yourself in the 3rd person. It comes off as creepy.

"It puts the lotion on it's skin or it gets the hose again."
Well, that's how it goes I guess. I refer to myself in the 3rd person on occasion, not always. I try to mix things up a bit when discussing the pens, trades and such. :)

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
For those saying that they would have no problem with trading Sutter (Cole, VM, Ogre).. Hopefully you understand now that we can´t afford to do it. He´s been great for 40+ games for us, offense, defense, he´s doing everything right. 3rd line is a real scoring threat now, it´s so refreshing. No ****ing way am I trading Sutter+ for Perron as some have suggested just a few days ago.

I have full confidence in FLeury under this new system. I don´t know why, I just feel he´s going to save everything. The key is that there are almost no odd-man rushes against him all season long and defense is helping him a lot. Fleury is calm and when he´s calm, he´s really good.

Sid is playing well, btw. He´s just not a superhuman, who can outplay 3 defending guys all alone. No help. He´s getting close, he just needs a little bit better linemates. Kunitz is brutal. Sid needs at least Hornqvist back, I don´t feel like Geno and Horns is an ideal combo. Sid-Horns was definitely better. Dupuis-Sid-Horns, Kunitz-Malkin-Comeau. Whatever, just separate Kunitz from Crosby and give Horns back to where he belongs.

We are good enough to win in style against a good teams even with non-functional TOP6, that´s something special. Fix that TOP6 and we´re almost unplayable.

Also, I´m glad that Beau showed his magic. There were some users starting to already suggest trading him. Good response by Beau, that vision is just something special.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Also, Crosby seems like he has taken to shooting more and more these last few games, no? You can see it in his game log (4-5 shots these last three games, mostly 2 or 3 before that), though that doesn't always say much. But he had some really good looks in this game. Especially the one that hit Price in his shoulder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad