Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Kindergarten Kyle's biggest trades are the Kadri one where he got jack shit back, the ROR one (also Acciari, of whom we are now stuck with here), and the Karlsson deal.

Outside of that he seems more gun shy to make the bigger deals. He loves to build from free agency more than trades.

Ludvig f***ing sucks.

Shea was better, Ludvig was just atrocious and somehow he's seen as someone worth keeping.
"YOUNG PLAYERS NEED TO PLAY!"

*plays Ludvig*

"NO NOT LIKE THAT!"

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Lindstrom Fantilli is a great one two punch. But yeah. That's a hard one.

It's about getting a 2nd and then having a player like Walman you can easily moved at the deadline for additional picks.

If Kindergarten Kyle had an ounce of a plan, maybe he'd be making smart moves like this.

And before you say "nobody offered anything for him", multiple GMs have mentioned to insiders they weren't even aware Walman was on the market.

Plus, I guarantee you'll be saying how great it is that we signed Marcus Pettersson when that comes down.
Which is more important - picking up a second round pick while blocking POJ, Ludvig and St. Ivany? Or letting as many as two of those players play and continue to develop so you know what you actually have in them?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Which is more important - picking up a second round pick while blocking POJ, Ludvig and St. Ivany? Or letting as many as two of those players play and continue to develop?

Picking up a 2nd and then getting another 2nd or a 3rd at the deadline. POJ and Ludvig are dime a dozen.

St. Ivany has a spot.

Walman also would help us to be a more competitive team which I thought was "part of the plan"?

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Longer quote from Dubas in Yohe's recap.

Isn't this approach what the board has been asking for? Dubas isn't doing salary dumps. He wants assets back or he wants assets attached to other moves. And he's not signing long term deals in FA.

That's exactly the approach he should have.
I just want to trade Jarry, get cheap depth and play youth

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I do think it's hilarious how no matter what Dubas does he gets the "this is his plan".

Dubas said the team was supposed to be competitive and he was going to focus on acquiring youth and prospects.

He hasn't made any moves yet and we are now in the 2nd round of the draft to do that.

He's going to sign two 28-30 year olds in UFA and people will say "well, part of the plan is being competitive."

The reality is just like Mike Sullivan, Kyle Dubas nows how to sell himself outwardly to upper management and media.

He's a joke. He has no success in this league and he's going to continue to have that legacy here. Absolute trash GM.

I still have no idea how you trade a 1st and a 2nd to acquire Erik Karlsson, sign the deals he did last year then do nothing to improve the team and then just immediately rebuild within 12 months and people act like he has a plan.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I do think it's hilarious how no matter what Dubas does he gets the "this is his plan".

Dubas said the team was supposed to be competitive and he was going to focus on acquiring youth and prospects.

He hasn't made any moves yet and we are now in the 2nd round of the draft to do that.

He's going to sign two 28-30 year olds in UFA and people will say "well, part of the plan is being competitive."

The reality is just like Mike Sullivan, Kyle Dubas nows how to sell himself outwardly to upper management and media.

He's a joke. He has no success in this league and he's going to continue to have that legacy here. Absolute trash GM.

I still have no idea how you trade a 1st and a 2nd to acquire Erik Karlsson, sign the deals he did last year then do nothing to improve the team and then just immediately rebuild within 12 months and people act like he has a plan.
There is no plan with this team. He's just Hextall again. The only question is will the players he signed be enough to put us over the top to possibly compete. We could get lucky and they mesh, but other than that, it's just throwing shit at wall to see what sticks.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
There is no plan with this team. He's just Hextall again. The only question is will the players he signed be enough to put us over the top to possibly compete. We could get lucky and they mesh, but other than that, it's just throwing shit at wall to see what sticks.

100%. It is 100% Hextall again. Only Dubas was stupid enough to trade our 1st round pick so he put us a year behind and now is fully committing to do nothing while also not altering major pieces of this roster which is one of the dumbest things I've heard.

Imagine how different our future looks right now with another top 15 1st and Petry, Rutta, and Granlund coming off the books at the end of next year.

You could easily get a couple 3rds at the deadline for each of those guys and then have a ton of cap space heading into next summer.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
The face of a man who knows he's untouchable. And even better news, "Quinny" will also be coaching the power play!
sully-laugh-draft-template-1600x900.jpg

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Very stoked to not trade players just to get out of contracts.

Glad Kindergarten Kyle brought the double down to your decisions regardless of performance attitude of the Toronto Maple Leafs here.
Not that I expect Sullivan to ever get fired either but if Dubas isn't trying to do anything then there's going to be zero heat on Sully because there is zero onus being put on him to contend.

Gonna be a long year

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Is everyone excited to be enraged tomorrow because the Pens picked a couple of players that they never saw play, or even heard of, before tomorrow but just know that they should have picked this other player that they never heard of, or saw play, but who was available?

I actually have faith in Dubas drafting in the 2nd round tomorrow.

He’s good at that.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Is everyone excited to be enraged tomorrow because the Pens picked a couple of players that they never saw play, or even heard of, before tomorrow but just know that they should have picked this other player that they never heard of, or saw play, but who was available?
We should trade all our picks for next years draft picks. Maybe trade all next years picks we have for Jeannot?

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Well, unless Kintergarten Kyle spent the day cramming horseshoes up his arse, we aren't getting young prospects that are going to turn us immediately into a playoff team in this draft.

So hopefully he at least put his training wheels on to get through this weekend.

1. Call Tampa and see if they want Tanner Jeannot to still disappear. They don't have alot of picks the next 2 years but that's fine with us as we'll help the Lightening now for a 2nd rounder in the future (like 2026 or 2027, hey were gonna really suck then). Jeannot's got one year left and doesn't cost all that much so we shouldn't give a ****. We can give them Nieto back so we lose a contract and they can bury Nieto in the AHL with no penalty if they want.
2. Use a retention spot to move Reilly Smith. Do 50% to get max return and even take picks in later draft years if needed.
3. I don't think they would trade Petts outright this offseason. They should reserve our last retention spot to move him at the TDL if we are out of the playoffs. We'll have all our retention spots back for the start of the following season to start the game all over again. Do not resign him to another contact this offseason - wait and see how the season starts. He's not the type of defenseman that teams are going to be super happy obtaining with alot of term left (plus we'll be dealing with some M-NTC on a new contract). The high point of his worth is going to be at this year's TDL. Why keep him around if we miss the playoff again this season?
4. Try to move Acciari for a different NHL vet that's signed for just for this season. Maybe try to move Eller also but Acciari is the higher priority move between the two.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
After the questions he took and the answers he gave, it's pretty clear what the path is as he said it multiple times: They want to compete and they want to do via infusing the lineup with youth (specially "hungry" players). Wasn't that hard to sniff out. Now how they go about doing that is another story.

I know he likes Acciari but you have to wonder about Eller. Both of those guys are non-impact "old guys" who appear to both be the anti-thesis what he just said. Wouldn't shock me to see one or both moved. Same with Smith. Who knows on Jarry - that seemed to be a "I'm okay keeping both unless there's a good deal in place"

Should only take a couple moves though:

Jarry+Acciari for Husso+Berggren
Smith for Kaliyev
Eller for a 4th

DOC-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Berggren-Pono-Kaliyev
Poulin-Gruden-Puljujarvi

POJ-Letang
Petts-EK
Graves-JSI

TJ-Neds

Tomorrow should be fun considering how all over the board everyone is. My top 4-5 hopes:

Lucas Pettersson
John Mustard
Tanner Howe
Maxim Masse

with the 2nds.

Then with the 4th: Maximillian Curran. I have a buddy in Tri-Cities that is really high on this kid. So...why not.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Acciari was such a dumb f***ing signing.

Sullivan's usage of him is even dumber.

But the signing was dumb.
Not really. If anything that signing was the one that made the most sense, he was great in Toronto. He got injured in Pitt, played with absolute ass and was used as a human shield by Sullivans stupid 4th line deployment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad