Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Tulsky's under a lot more pressure than Dubas imo. That team's actually still in a Cup window, and he's got big decisions to make as to whether he can snag something for Jake's rights, and what kinda return he's gonna get for Necas (as well as how to fix their goaltending and find a game-changer offensively).

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I expect all of us to talk about how great it woul be to get Stamkos the next 5 days just so Dubas can sign Noel Acciari’s brother on day 1 of free agency.

• Haha
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Neat. If you are rebuilding for the future, do what San Jose and Chicago are doing and get assets to take on pieces that can contribute now.

Let's analyze. San Jose claimed Goodrow off waivers. Should we have done that? No. Goodrow is a good player with a high cap hit. He does nothing for us. Drury probably would not have asked Dubas to claim him anyway. He wanted Goodrow outside the division, if not conference.

Should we have acquired Jake Walman and a pick for future considerations? Sure. Would Steve Yzerman have called Dubas and asked him to do this? No. Why not? Because he wanted to do this with a non-contender outside the conference.

Should we have acquired Ilya Mikheyev and a second-rounder (I doubt Lafferty would have been added here) for a fourth? Absolutely not. Mikheyev cannot score to same himself. He is a non-factor on offense. We have plenty of non factors. We don't need another. And certainly not for that pittance of a cost. A first-rounder straight up to take that contract with 15% retention? MAYBE. This was a bad deal by Chicago.

In fact, we should be happy that Dubas is not adding former Maple Leafs just because he knows them. I wanted nothing to do with either Mikheyev and Lafferty, so we dodged a bullet there.

Alex Wennberg, 3yrs, $4.5M AAV. :nod:

I sure hope not.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Your boy Tulsky hasn't made a significant move in Carolina yet despite the Canes having a lot of questions needing answered. Isn't he running up against that same deadline?

No. For a variety of reasons..

1. Carolina has 23 million in Cap Space. They have the flexibility to add players in UFA and the desire to do so. Dubas is on record saying he is not looking to add term in free agency.

2. Carolina has multiple draft picks this draft. We have barely anything. This is largely because Carolina ripped us off in the Guentzel trade and Dubas also for some reason traded a 1st and a 2nd and then proceeded to do nothing else to make us a win now team throughout the year.

3. Carolina made changes after their disappointing playoffs. They let their GM go. We did nothing after our disappointing playoffs. If they had fired Mike Sullivan, I'd feel much differently if we were just going to run it back.

4. Carolina has desireable RFAs that help fill out their roster and prospects.

Let's analyze. San Jose claimed Goodrow off waivers. Should we have done that? No. Goodrow is a good player with a high cap hit. He does nothing for us. Drury probably would not have asked Dubas to claim him anyway. He wanted Goodrow outside the division, if not conference.

Should we have acquired Jake Walman and a pick for future considerations? Sure. Would Steve Yzerman have called Dubas and asked him to do this? No. Why not? Because he wanted to do this with a non-contender outside the conference.

Should we have acquired Ilya Mikheyev and a second-rounder (I doubt Lafferty would have been added here) for a fourth? Absolutely not. Mikheyev cannot score to same himself. He is a non-factor on offense. We have plenty of non factors. We don't need another. And certainly not for that pittance of a cost. A first-rounder straight up to take that contract with 15% retention? MAYBE. This was a bad deal by Chicago.

In fact, we should be happy that Dubas is not adding former Maple Leafs just because he knows them. I wanted nothing to do with either Mikheyev and Lafferty, so we dodged a bullet there.

1719495750198.png

Just for clarity, the issue isn't that Dubas didn't acquire Mikheyev or Walman. The issue is that cap pictures and positional roles on other teams are being filled up.

The more teams that sell off player's contracts for picks means the less likely we are able to take advantage of that.

The more teams that acquire goaltenders means we are less likely to be able to do that.

Similarly to Jake Guentzel, and the moves throughout last season (i.e. not acquiring a goaltender prior to the draft resulting in us having to sign Jarry) the more "patient" Dubas is the less likely he has multiple options and is forced into settling.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
This is getting annoying. How exactly did the Hurricanes "rip us off"?

We got Bunting, who is a perfect fit for Malkin's line. We got not one, not two, but three forward prospects, which we badly needed, and we got an early second rounder. What did they get? 30 games worth of Guentzel and a second-round exit. Wow, what a steal!

Give me a frickin' break.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

We got Bunting, who is a perfect fit for Malkin's line. We got not one, not two, but three forward prospects, which we badly needed, and we got an early second rounder. What did they get? 30 games worth of Guentzel and a second-round exit. Wow, what a steal!

They gave up nothing of consensquence for one of the best players at the deadline.

Monahan returned a 1st.
Lindholm returned a 1st.

Dubas' overplayed his hand, took quantity over quality, and did not get the typical return you'd expect from the level of asset we moved.

Let's see how perfect of a fit Bunting is next year.

Reilly Smith had 12 points in his first 14 games here and looked to be a lights out fit.

Jason Zucker had 12 through his first 15 games and looked to be a lights out fit.

I have no doubt once Mike Sullivan gets his claws into Bunting he'll suddenly be viewed like Rakell and Smith are on here.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Suter with that elite move of getting paid by two different teams to not bother showing up.
Massive respect. this is some real king shit here.

I sure hope not.
Jags, buddy, I hate to interrupt you midstream but, we are a non contender outside of the conference, lol.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Tulsky's under a lot more pressure than Dubas imo. That team's actually still in a Cup window, and he's got big decisions to make as to whether he can snag something for Jake's rights, and what kinda return he's gonna get for Necas (as well as how to fix their goaltending and find a game-changer offensively).
Agreed. They haven't got a cup and they have a million UFAs.

They gave up nothing of consensquence for one of the best players at the deadline.

Monahan returned a 1st.
Lindholm returned a 1st.

Dubas' overplayed his hand, took quantity over quality, and did not get the typical return you'd expect from the level of asset we moved.

Let's see how perfect of a fit Bunting is next year.

Reilly Smith had 12 points in his first 14 games here and looked to be a lights out fit.

Jason Zucker had 12 through his first 15 games and looked to be a lights out fit.

I have no doubt once Mike Sullivan gets his claws into Bunting he'll suddenly be viewed like Rakell and Smith are on here.

Give me the 3 forward prospects Bunting and a 2nd over a late 1st. Especially this draft.

I liked the approach. Our prospect pool is dead and now we have potentially 4 players to add to that instead of 1. I like the odds with 4 more.

Reactions: Ulf5

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Give me the 3 forward prospects Bunting and a 2nd over a late 1st. Especially this draft.

I liked the approach. Our prospect pool is dead and now we have potentially 4 players to add to that instead of 1. I like the odds with 4 more.

I'm excited to see an undersized, mediocre skating, offense oriented European skill player under Mike Sullivan and David Quinn. No concerns there.

Ponomarev is a good pick-up and potentially will make the deal stomachable.

Still, it's bizarre how many people say "we got 3 forward prospects" as if that is a good thing when none of them are sure things. We had the best asset on the market.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Lot of shitting on Jarry in Yohe’s mailbag today…that means he’s toast in Pittsburgh lol (and lavish, or should I slavish, praise for Sullivan, meaning he’s here forever…

Do you think the team’s opinion of Jarry changed after he stared down Marcus Pettersson during that loss to Dallas? — @de6588

Yes.

“I can’t emphasize enough how much Fenway Sports Group loves Sullivan. I’m telling you, he’s their guy.” lol

Reactions: Turin

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Lot of shitting on Jarry in Yohe’s mailbag today…that means he’s toast in Pittsburgh lol (and lavish, or should I slavish, praise for Sullivan, meaning he’s here forever…

Do you think the team’s opinion of Jarry changed after he stared down Marcus Pettersson during that loss to Dallas? — @de6588

Yes.

“I can’t emphasize enough how much Fenway Sports Group loves Sullivan. I’m telling you, he’s their guy.” lol

What’s your best-case scenario this offseason for the Pens? What’s your worst case? — @LittleMac0816

Best case: Trade Smith for a mid-level draft pick or prospect. Trade Jarry for a first- or second-round pick. (Finding a taker for Ryan Graves would be a dream come true for the Penguins, but I can’t in good faith say that this is possible.)

With the $20 million in cap space, sign Jake DeBrusk to play on Sidney Crosby’s left wing. Sign a couple of other legitimate forwards to help the bottom six. Start stockpiling picks and prospects.

Worst case: Dubas can’t find any takers for Smith, Jarry, Graves, or whoever else he wants to unload. Thus, the Penguins ultimately look a lot like last year’s team, only a year older. And the staleness continues.

This is our best case scenario lol. Trade Smith and replace him with a worse version.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Which has nothing to do with Kyle Dubas and the alleged fleecing by the almighty Carolina Hurricanes, that bastion of playoff proficiency.

What Bunting becomes because of Mike Sullivan has nothing to do with the value of that trade, which was perfectly fine.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Yes.

Trading Jarry to whomever for whatever would be a nice consolation prize for having to stomach more Sullivan. Almost as if - every.single.fan knew we shouldn't have signed him in the freaking first place.

At least nobody is forcing us to watch the train wreck. Though, train wrecks are often tough to tune out.

Other than that, fully expect this Summer to surmount to absolutely nothing exciting beyond (maybe) a Crosby extension. A few utter dogshit bottom 6 additions that'll keep the board busy arguing whether their 7 goals puts us over New Jersey next year (lol). It'll be running it back for a 7th/8th/9th/10th/11th time with excuses of how the team was just old and at least Sullivan tried.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Which has nothing to do with Kyle Dubas and the alleged fleecing by the almighty Carolina Hurricanes, that bastion of playoff proficiency.

What Bunting becomes because of Mike Sullivan has nothing to do with the value of that trade, which was perfectly fine.

Focusing on "getting younger" and adding Michael Bunting to your cap line is parallel odds.

I get it. Everyone needs to lie to themselves and act like this was the best deal on the table.

It's obvious Dubas got swindled, like he has in nearly every trade he's made as a GM in his career.

Trading Jarry to whomever for whatever would be a nice consolation prize for having to stomach more Sullivan. Almost as if - every.single.fan knew we shouldn't have signed him in the freaking first place.

At least nobody is forcing us to watch the train wreck. Though, train wrecks are often tough to tune out.

Other than that, fully expect this Summer to surmount to absolutely nothing exciting beyond (maybe) a Crosby extension. A few utter dogshit bottom 6 additions that'll keep the board busy arguing whether their 7 goals puts us over New Jersey next year (lol). It'll be running it back for a 7th/8th/9th/10th/11th time with excuses of how the team was just old and at least Sullivan tried.

You forgot lots of people commending Dubas for having a plan to acquire young talent and picks, while he does nothing but move Reilly Smith for a 4th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad