Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
That could be a ploy by Detroit given how team and agents have seemingly weaponized insiders and twitter these days.

Nah, they have Dostol who is probably ready to take over. His age fits well with the core. They might add a cheap vet on top but I think the idea of moving on from Gibson would be to make room for the next gen.

Moving from Gibson to Jarry may seem a bit lateral but you get the return for Gibson and still have a 1b starter if you are still on the fence with Dostal.

I know it's jokes but Kane and Stammer aren't helping the playoff race nor IN the playoffs, realistically speaking but:

I mean Stamkos had 40 goals and 5 more in 5 playoff games. His one timer alone fixing the PP by actually having a threat on that side. Would he solve all the problems and make them a contender no. But they are probably comfortable in the playoffs last year with him if he has similar stats.

He had as many pp goals as Jake, Geno and Sid combined lol

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think Jarry will do better with a change of scenery. Maybe other teams feel the same way. Also Jarry could be had for pretty much nothing. You can platoon them and trade Jarry later if he bounces back. It's a risk sure but they have the cap for it. Dostal cost nothing and will not cost much in the near future. By the time they have to pay him Jarry will be off the books.

I think he will crash and burn because he's a loser who sucks.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Moving from Gibson to Jarry may seem a bit lateral but you get the return for Gibson and still have a 1b starter if you are still on the fence with Dostal.

I mean Stamkos had 40 goals and 5 more in 5 playoff games. His one timer alone fixing the PP by actually having a threat on that side. Would he solve all the problems and make them a contender no. But they are probably comfortable in the playoffs last year with him if he has similar stats.

He had as many pp goals as Jake, Geno and Sid combined lol
Yeah but I can't see them wanting to pay a 1B / backup $5.35mil for that long.

I feel the same way about Stammer and Kane as I do EK (now). 40g or PPG players...on the TBL / DET teams. I don't seem them coming here and repeating that performance. Not that they wouldn't be capable, per say, it's just that I'm not sure they would be that capable HERE.

That said, I wouldn't hate bringing either in honestly. No different than EK. Fun to collect older league legends.
Tyler Kennedy on The Fan evidently saying the Penguins should and would be interested in Trouba?

What a take. That would maybe be the final straw for me.
I do think I would trade Trouba for EK if asked.

As much as I HATE Trouba at the moment, I wouldn't hate adding a hard-hitting dick in your face, rabble-rouser. Same reason I wouldn't say no to Tom Wilson most likely.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Teams typically build based on trends. This year was super tough to evaluate because you basically have a well-built Florida team that has a solid mix of everything but they were almost beat out by a one-man team.

So unless you are adding Conor McDavid...what trends do you follow that help improve the team?

I know it's jokes but Kane and Stammer aren't helping the playoff race nor IN the playoffs, realistically speaking but:

Rust-Sid-Kane
Bunting-Geno-Stammer
DOC-Eller-Rakell

would be nothing to shake a stick at.
1719429691503.gif

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Teams typically build based on trends. This year was super tough to evaluate because you basically have a well-built Florida team that has a solid mix of everything but they were almost beat out by a one-man team.

So unless you are adding Conor McDavid...what trends do you follow that help improve the team?

Rust-Sid-Kane
Bunting-Geno-Stammer
DOC-Eller-Rakell

That Geno line would be awful defensively.

Reactions: SEALBound

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
macro POV, you have to be an incredible hockey player and athlete to play in and stick in the modern NHL.

there’s exceptions and renaissance men but what goes into being that incredible athlete and player doesn’t necessarily lend itself to being a great team builder or coach. I appreciate TK and other former players opinions and insight, but they’re rarely useful or intriguing except when it’s “this is how XYZ works in the NHL” or “this is what Sid did pre game to break his scoring slump in 2009”.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I explained it a but in the post above. I thought EK would supercharge the PP. He didn't. I think this team's handicap is coaching and system-related, not player-related. So I'm not necessarily convinced that adding either would change much. There is no doubt that it would help replace Jake's goals though.

And let's just say we DO make it, we aren't a Kane or Stammer away from a Cup.
I love you Sealsy but this is a crazy take and not even just because I dislike Trouba lol
Trouba has two years left and is $2.5mil cheaper. There's an aspect of getting out of EK's contract to the deal as well.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think he will crash and burn because he's a loser who sucks.

If you lived in Pittsburgh I feel like you’d put this note on Jarry’s windshield.

You’re a loser with a very small amount of friends......ZERO. And the amount of people you'll have at your funeral is also zero. Because you have no friends! Maybe your dad will show up just to take a dump on your face and he'll say, "Look, my dump is my son's only friend." Oh, wait! Even the dump hates you.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Yeah but I can't see them wanting to pay a 1B / backup $5.35mil for that long.

I feel the same way about Stammer and Kane as I do EK (now). 40g or PPG players...on the TBL / DET teams. I don't seem them coming here and repeating that performance. Not that they wouldn't be capable, per say, it's just that I'm not sure they would be that capable HERE.

That said, I wouldn't hate bringing either in honestly. No different than EK. Fun to collect older league legends.

I do think I would trade Trouba for EK if asked.

As much as I HATE Trouba at the moment, I wouldn't hate adding a hard-hitting dick in your face, rabble-rouser. Same reason I wouldn't say no to Tom Wilson most likely.
Bruh.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Rust-Sid-Kane
Bunting-Geno-Stammer
DOC-Eller-Rakell

I think the trend still remains with Florida (they've been to back to back Finals).

- A physical, but still talented enough team to score
- Mostly stay at home/positional defensemen
- Essentially a balanced team.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I explained it a but in the post above. I thought EK would supercharge the PP. He didn't. I think this team's handicap is coaching and system-related, not player-related. So I'm not necessarily convinced that adding either would change much. There is no doubt that it would help replace Jake's goals though.

Well upon further review, EK wasn't all that great on the PP with SJ. Believe another poster warned everyone of this during the crazy last summer of that saga.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If you lived in Pittsburgh I feel like you’d put this note on Jarry’s windshield.

You’re a loser with a very small amount of friends......ZERO. And the amount of people you'll have at your funeral is also zero. Because you have no friends! Maybe your dad will show up just to take a dump on your face and he'll say, "Look, my dump is my son's only friend." Oh, wait! Even the dump hates you.
Yeah, that's about the caliber of note I would expect from someone in Pittsburgh :laugh:
I think the trend still remains with Florida (they've been to back to back Finals).

- A physical, but still talented enough team to score
- Mostly stay at home/positional defensemen
- Essentially a balanced team.
The defense is such a hard thing to figure out. It's like needs completely change come playoff time. PMD in the RS, SAH in the PO. Tough balance.

They also have guys playing above their contracts - Reinhart, Heggy, Bennett, ERod...that helps too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad