Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Markstrom is bringing back a decent depth defenseman and a 1st, you can absolutely move Jarry for positive value without taking back any money. Jarry isn't Markstrom but he's not going to be that much less valuable than Markstrom.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Pretty good value for Calgary honestly. I assume NJD will run Markstrom-Allen as their duo which is pretty solid. Reminds me of the MAF-Vokoun level pairing.

Just say that Calgary retained 31% of Markstroms contract, so NJ certainly paid a premium. We can't retain on Jarry so I imagine that bumps value down quite a bit. Likely a 2nd or just a Bahl level player.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
If Markstrom is bringing back a decent depth defenseman and a 1st, you can absolutely move Jarry for positive value without taking back any money. Jarry isn't Markstrom but he's not going to be that much less valuable than Markstrom.
I'm guessing Ullmark is next to be moved, then hopefully a few teams are desperate enough to give us a call for Jarry..

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania

Numbers are similar, Jarry is younger and has a lower cap hit. Markstrom has Jarry on playoff series wins and not as many years left on his deal. But it’s not crazy that we could get a similar return.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Numbers are similar, Jarry is younger and has a lower cap hit. Markstrom has Jarry on playoff series wins and not as many years left on his deal. But it’s not crazy that we could get a similar return.
1st+Bahl for Markstrom at 69% though. That would be us retaining Jarry down to roughly $4mil. Not the end of the world but we'd need to be getting back a player that justifies it. As is, not sure it's a 1st round pick or Bahl. Holtz, maybe. Mercer, yes.

Still think LA is the destination for Jarry should something happen.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I imagine Columbus would want a younger player so that if Smith leaves in FA at the end of the year or they trade him, they aren't left with nothing. I could see something like Smith+Poulin for Laine+3rd.

Question I would have is, does that take us out of the running for Mangipane and/or Wahlstrom. Wahlstrom is a whatever. That's a Puljujarvi level attempt to see if you can bring a guy back to life. But I would prefer Mangipane over Laine. Unless the Mangipane involves Rakell.

Mangipane-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Laine
DOC-Pono-Wahlmstrom
Puljujarvi-Eller-Acciari

I could come to terms with that.

SEAL, stop peddling our younger players! :) If the Blue Jackets want Smith, give them Smith!

lol

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Hanks

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think reputation also comes into play a bit here and I think that hurts Jarry. I think looking purely at the numbers, you can make a pretty convincing and clear case that Jarry isn't worse than Markstrom by any tangible amount. But GMs don't make their opinions based purely on results, and I think it's a pretty clear situation where Jarry's reputation is not in line with his overall solid to good results.

Based on that Markstrom trade, my bet for a Jarry trade would be something like a $2.5 million platoon goalie and a 3rd for him. Maybe you can get a 2nd back for him if you push out the pick to 2025 or 2026. And frankly I'd jump at that kind of deal.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Pretty good value for Calgary honestly. I assume NJD will run Markstrom-Allen as their duo which is pretty solid. Reminds me of the MAF-Vokoun level pairing.

Just say that Calgary retained 31% of Markstroms contract, so NJ certainly paid a premium. We can't retain on Jarry so I imagine that bumps value down quite a bit. Likely a 2nd or just a Bahl level player.

Jurassic Pod

• Love
Reactions: SEALBound

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That’s how to start a rebuild. NJ’s first is top 10 protected but NJ went from almost league worst goaltending to decent so I don’t see it being a top 10 pick anyway.

Honestly this kinda speaks to how much of a failure the Flames have been as a team. They've had talent on the team, but they did absolutely nothing with it.

Markstrom, Tkachuk, Hanifin, Weegar, Huberdeau, Lindholm, Kadri, Gaudreau....they've had some legitimate talent over the last few years. All they had to show for it is 1 series win in 2022.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
That’s how to start a rebuild. NJ’s first is top 10 protected but NJ went from almost league worst goaltending to decent so I don’t see it being a top 10 pick anyway.

Utah looks even better with 20. Only 3 firsts but they have 10 2nds. Gotta think they use some of that capital to upgrade their current roster after relocating.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Markstrom is marginally better, and that's 1 outlier regular season.

Edit: This just proves how desperate teams are for even moderately good goaltending, and at a premium.

Last edited:

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
1st+Bahl for Markstrom at 69% though. That would be us retaining Jarry down to roughly $4mil. Not the end of the world but we'd need to be getting back a player that justifies it. As is, not sure it's a 1st round pick or Bahl. Holtz, maybe. Mercer, yes.

Still think LA is the destination for Jarry should something happen.
Do I?

Do I?

Yes, I do.

Nice.

• Haha
Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Markstrom is marginally better, and that's 1 outlier regular season.

Edit: This just proves how desperate teams are for even moderately good goaltending, and at a premium.
Which, honestly, is a case both FOR and AGAINST trading Jarry.

It's also what makes the initial contract so maddening - "I get it but I f***ING hate it!"

Drafting and signing goalies is going to be an interesting trend to watch over the next couple of years. If there is a potential star goalie in the ranks, I think teams step up to nab them early in drafts knowing how hard they are to find. Having Blomqvist and Murashov in the ranks is nice...hopefully.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Given how bad our PP was I was surprised to see we had the 4th highest high danger chances for.

BUT were 28th in PP goals (30th in PP%). Tied for 1st in short handed goals against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad