Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
1718751912290.png

Pretty decent producer. But he's a left shot and can't fill in on PP1 with our setup.
So it'd be 5.8M for a PP2 winger who's really good defensively.
Depends where you stand on that. Personally I think that money should be allocated towards solving the PP1 issue, so it doesn't kill the team again.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
View attachment 884098
Pretty decent producer. But he's a left shot and can't fill in on PP1 with our setup.
So it'd be 5.8M for a PP2 winger who's really good defensively.
Depends where you stand on that. Personally I think that money should be allocated towards solving the PP1 issue, so it doesn't kill the team again.

With Bunting here now the PP1 issue shouldn’t be personnel. It’s either the coaches f***ing up, the players not listening or probably both.

Being the sole reason we missed the playoffs, they better f***ing figure it out before the season starts.

Reactions: Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
With Bunting here now the PP1 issue shouldn’t be personnel. It’s either the coaches f***ing up, the players not listening or probably both.

Being the sole reason we missed the playoffs, they better f***ing figure it out before the season starts.
That solves the net front, yeah, but not the left wall. Rakell regressed there, and I don't think he's a strong bet to play like year 1 there again.
Rust fluctuates between useful and shit there, so that's an unknown. Smith's a left shot and not particularly good on the PP anyway.
If we don't make a big acquisition, I would try Puustinen there. He can whistle it pretty good, and he likes to shoot.

It's very important because the puck is on the right side of our formation too much. Makes us predictable, and unable to stretch out the opposition box, and create openings.
What's needed is a Stamkos or rejuvenated Laine or something.

Apart from that, yeah there was certainly coaching issues with it. We need Karlsson to be way more aggressive with pushing into space. He was so timid at the first sign of pressure, fading back to the extreme perimeter and wasting time. Malkin's really old and shouldn't be playing the point anymore too.

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
  • Haha
Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If I recall correctly, Mangiapane was playing at RW with Michael Bunting at the worlds. Dubas was there as part of Team Canada, so I believe that is where all of this is coming from. Mangiapane would be the RW on the Bunting-Malkin line. I don't remember who played center on that Team Canada line, but it was not John Tavares I do not believe.

I don't see the motivation for Calgary to trade Mangiapane for Smith, and I don't see the motivation for Smith to accept a trade to Cgy. And we sure as hell should not think about trading away futures for a player like Mangiapane. And would we even want to re-sign him? We would be acquiring a guy now to trade for futures at the deadline? I really don't see this as a fit.

Skinner does nothing for us if he is a UFA. As a retained salary acquisition with future assets thrown in, he absolutely has value to us.

I think Wahlstrom is at least a decent bet to not be qualified. The Isles would need to throw him into a trade to make that work.
Interesting tidbit, thanks for that. I have no idea if that means that "Dubas has watched those two together and likes what he sees" or if that means someone is just making connections based on mere geography.

Getting him here is tricky IMHO unless Calgary is wanting a player like Ponomarov. I don't think Mangi is the guy you bring in for your higher end prospects even though I think that's what Calgary would want. I think you're looking at a 2nd+someone like Puustinen. Then I think you hope you can send Smith out for similar-ish return to recoup. But if a team is willing to take Smith...why wouldn't they just get Mangi?

Wahlstrom's QO is only $920k. I think you qual him and then try to trade him for something. Worst case, you lose him on waivers. Typically when guys don't get the QO, it's because the QO min is too high or they are running out of contract room and want others. NYI have neither of those issues. I think they look for a 3rd but take a 4th. Or you try a swap with another RFA like we did with Nylander and Bemstrom. I think we are in the exact same position with Bemstrom so I recommend a swap between those two.
Not Penguins related, but I find it funny how many Canucks fans seemingly have this idea that Guentzel will sign with them for less money than anywhere else. Sounds just like them thinking that Guentzel would be traded there for their nothing pieces at the deadline :laugh:

"He'll sign for $8 million a year because it lets us keep Joshua and Zadorov" levels of delusion.

It's going to be funny when he signs with Chicago for an eye-popping amount of money. My hot take right now is that someone pays Guentzel over $70 million on his next deal.
I don't know, $10mil is an awful lot. I can't see a long term deal at $10mil. He's good but not that good. I do think he will pick a mix of money, term, and team. I can't see him going to Washington. The Florida speculation was interesting (said if they can't resing Reinhart). That's what I would be eyeing if I were him.
$6.5mil...for Slavin. For 8 years....

7642cb5d-2298-485f-aa5c-7bc0abf8c96e_text.gif

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, I'd prefer something around Rakell for Laine because of Rakell's term, but Smith for Laine probably works better for both sides. Still have serious doubts Columbus would send him to the Pens, whether they'd give a shit about Rakell/Smith, and whether Sullivan is the coach to salvage Laine's career.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I imagine Columbus would want a younger player so that if Smith leaves in FA at the end of the year or they trade him, they aren't left with nothing. I could see something like Smith+Poulin for Laine+3rd.

Question I would have is, does that take us out of the running for Mangipane and/or Wahlstrom. Wahlstrom is a whatever. That's a Puljujarvi level attempt to see if you can bring a guy back to life. But I would prefer Mangipane over Laine. Unless the Mangipane involves Rakell.

Mangipane-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Laine
DOC-Pono-Wahlmstrom
Puljujarvi-Eller-Acciari

I could come to terms with that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn't complain about a Smith for Laine swap, but I still have serious questions about how you'd set up that top-6 if you bring in Laine. Crosby flat out wouldn't want to play with him and I don't think this team would view Rakell as a long-term LW.

Bringing in Laine would require a Rakell trade somewhere else as well IMO.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The only thing I feel confident in is that Sullivan and Dubas are gonna target Wennberg on a multi-year deal and I'm hoping someone else signs him and saves this stupid f***ing team from itself. :laugh:
Other than just dooming and glooming, what makes you think that?

Presumably this would be for 3C? We have Eller, Poulin, Ponomarov, Acciari...I don't see why they would target him. I don't see a need.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Other than just dooming and glooming, what makes you think that?

Presumably this would be for 3C? We have Eller, Poulin, Ponomarov, Acciari...I don't see why they would target him. I don't see a need.
Need's got nothing to do with it. Firstly, this team's f***ing stupid. Second, they've never passed up a chance to spend too much on a redundant/useless vet. Third, having young guys in a position to potentially step in and fill roles has never stopped the team from signing said useless vets in the past. Fourth, it feels like an extremely Sullivan/Dubas player to target. Lastly, this team's f***ing stupid.

• Haha
Reactions: GilbertSeinfeld

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I figure Allen is going back in the Markstrom deal so they likely won't need a new goalie.

I figure the deal is something like Allen, Holtz and a 2nd or 3rd.
Once someone said Allen, I went back and looked at CF. I didn't realize Allen had one more year. I thought he was a UFA.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Actually I'll take back that Allen comment, I didn't realize they got him at 50% retained. I think they'd want to run with a Markstrom-Allen tandem rather than send Allen out. Teams need 2 good goalies nowadays and I figure they'd rather keep Allen as a backup.

I thought Allen was sitting at $4 million or whatever, I didn't think they'd want him as a backup for that price. But at $2 million, I'd be surprised to see them move him.

Calgary absolutely opens up as a Jarry suitor with this trade I think. I wonder if something around Jarry for Vladar could make sense, running with Nedjelkovic-Vladar definitely fits the kind of goalie tandem I figure this team would like to run.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Markstrom had a full NMC so he had to be ok with this trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad