Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Can anyone name more than 1 thing Laine does well?

I'm not a big Jfresh guy, but I trust Corey's work a lot. Laine does a lot of positive things in that regard.

1718575601080.png

He fills a distinct place on our powerplay which is the left flank on the powerplay.

He's also pretty effective at 5v5.

"His 0.99 goals per 60 minutes over the past three seasons puts him just outside the top 50 among players with at least 1000 minutes of 5v5 ice time, right in the same neighbourhood as Sidney Crosby (1.02), Sebastian Aho (1.01), Andrei Svechnikov (0.97), and Steven Stamkos (0.96)."

I honestly do not understand why any Penguins fan wouldn't jump at the opportunity to add Patrik Laine to this squad if it doesn't cost much. Especially if you are able to get out of Smith or another UFA's contract.

Too much is being made about one bad season where he literally stopped playing due to mental health issues. If anything he's a perfect option for us given the low term and ability to dump out cap too.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I want a player who gets more goals than assists and 50+ points a year
In my mind, laine sucks

But he is exactly what this pass happy team needs

Typically you do that by buying low on a player and putting them in a circumstance they may succeed in.

Funny how people are watching Florida and not realizing this is exactly what they did with half of their roster.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I want a player who gets more goals than assists and 50+ points a year
In my mind, laine sucks

But he is exactly what this pass happy team needs

This is exactly it. If we did not NEED a shoot-first winger who can snipe on the power play from the left side as a right shot, we would not be wasting any time at all discussing Laine.

The fact is, he is exactly what we need (except it will never work, so we should not bother).

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think you're probably getting a ~55pt guy in Laine after injury and inconsistency is taken into account. Maybe less if Sullivan's as bad for the guy as I think he'd be. You're getting him in hopes that he's a power play merchant more or less, imo.

I'm fine taking a shot in the dark with Laine, but only if Columbus would accept Rakell or Smith and some nobody throw-in prospect--which I doubt they would.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder if Laine could work on the 3rd line at ES then load up the powerplay with the big 3. I don’t see him meaning with Crosby or Malkin.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I wonder if Laine could work on the 3rd line at ES then load up the powerplay with the big 3. I don’t see him meaning with Crosby or Malkin.

Nope.

And that sounds like exactly what Sullivan would do. Except he wouldn’t put him on PP1. Laine instead would get like 25 seconds of PP ice time a game with PP2

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Laine's last 5 games were in December and capfriendly still has him listed in the Player's assistance program. When is he even eligible for release from that?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Historically how many 2nds does it take to get a 1st? 3? Would 2 2nds and a 3rd do it?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00