Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Not getting PLD and looking to offload Jarry to a team who needs a goalie without taking back a terrible contract/problematic player like PLD, for starters. I don't think it'd be prohibitively hard to move Jarry if you're not concerned about getting back something of value.

I don't think you can get away from Graves without getting back a bad player/contract or adding.

But trading two guys with awful contracts for a guy with an awful contract that's nearly both of their combined cap hits and for more years than Graves' five remaining is... Uh, f***ing dogshit. No way to sugarcoat that one.

I do feel it would be A Jarry + Graves type move.

40 points on a down year.
63 in 73 the year prior.

Overpay for let's say a 50 point player doesn't sound bad if we go to cheaper goaltending and get out of Graves.

PLD as a top 6 C or 3rd line C will work and he's 25 turning 26.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He'd be dying alive after two weeks of playing for Mike Sullivan

On the plus side if Malkin of all people makes Sullivan want to pull his hair out he'd almost certainly straight up rage-quit after like a week of that guy on his team.

Actually that's a good point in and of itself -- why in the world would anyone think Mike Sullivan could tease out the best in a player like PLD? Whole thing would be a huge boondoggle.

But I mean... I loathe Jarry and have no use for Graves. So...

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I do feel it would be A Jarry + Graves type move.

40 points on a down year.
63 in 73 the year prior.

Overpay for let's say a 50 point player doesn't sound bad if we go to cheaper goaltending and get out of Graves.

PLD as a top 6 C or 3rd line C will work and he's 25 turning 26.
I just don't think there's a way to sell me on PLD, man. Dude's so overrated because of his draft pedigree and frame. I don't know that he's the lockerroom cancer he's made out to be, but the guy's inconsistency and laziness would drive people f***ing insane, and for good reason. And the fact that he's hated it in a Columbus team that's as bad as this team's about to be shortly, and a Winnipeg team that's as bad as this team's been for a few years, doesn't bode well for this whole reclamation project idea. And Sullivan certainly ain't getting blood from that stone.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Problem is though my questions about PLD aside he is the type of under 30 forward that the team would have to look into.

If a guy is under 30 and good and doesn't have issues, they aren't going to be available in trade. Or if they are, it will cost major assets the likes of which we do not have or aren't willing to give up.

Tbh I'm not sure that we'd even have the assets (that Dubas would actually be willing to give up) to get PLD. And PLD is a guy with some issues.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Problem is though my questions about PLD aside he is the type of under 30 forward that the team would have to look into.

If a guy is under 30 and good and doesn't have issues, they aren't going to be available in trade. Or if they are, it will cost major assets the likes of which we do not have or aren't willing to give up.

Tbh I'm not sure that we'd even have the assets (that Dubas would actually be willing to give up) to get PLD. And PLD is a guy with some issues.

Kings either have to buyout or trade him this summer if they want out of the contract. His protection hits on July 1st. Full NMC.

On the plus side if Malkin of all people makes Sullivan want to pull his hair out he'd almost certainly straight up rage-quit after like a week of that guy on his team.

Actually that's a good point in and of itself -- why in the world would anyone think Mike Sullivan could tease out the best in a player like PLD? Whole thing would be a huge boondoggle.

But I mean... I loathe Jarry and have no use for Graves. So...

Good. Yet another thing to add to the inevtiable list of why we should fire Sullivan.

Not getting PLD and looking to offload Jarry to a team who needs a goalie without taking back a terrible contract/problematic player like PLD, for starters. I don't think it'd be prohibitively hard to move Jarry if you're not concerned about getting back something of value.

I don't think you can get away from Graves without getting back a bad player/contract or adding.

But trading two guys with awful contracts for a guy with an awful contract that's nearly both of their combined cap hits and for more years than Graves' five remaining is... Uh, f***ing dogshit. No way to sugarcoat that one.

I don't think this is possible. Nobody wanted to sign Jarry to that contract which is why he came back to Pittsburgh in UFA. Now that he sucked ass this year, his contract is probably even more immovable than PLD. Which is exactly why I'd pull the trigger.

PLD's contract will look fine in a few years even if he is a 40-50 pt guy. Just hope you can get him back to a 25 goal - 60 PT guy which should honestly be easy given the lack of skill in our top six.

Reactions: Pancakes

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

They are rare deals, indeed. It's the right idea just the wrong player IMO. At least as this team stands, now.

Man... I really, really wish (if they were available like some rumors implied at the time) that the Penguins would have made some noise to grab either Tank back when he wanted outta St Louis or even better Boeser last year when he was going through some shit with his father passing. I couldn't believe how many people were down on that kind of deal... dude's shot is elite and there is NOTHING like that on this team.

Obviously he's going nowhere NOW.

Reactions: Pancakes

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The only trade that I can think of that is worse than Graves and Jarry for Dubois is Graves and Jarry for Huberdeau. And as much as I hate that, I think I could possibly be convinced to like that more than Grave sand Jarry for Dubois.

If you want to go the "horrible contract" route, go see whether Jarry and Rakell to Columbus for Gaudreau could work. Columbus doesn't have a goalie and Gaudreau hasn't worked out that well for them.
I would do Huberdeau over PLD seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

Huberdeau was a top line LW who went from Florida to Calgary begrudgingly and is in desperate need of a fresh start. I don't think he magically forgot how to play hockey nor did he get injured. The team dynamics are just not working out there. It happens. Not unlike Smith here.

PLD on the other hand, kind of is who he is. There's no untapped potential or return to high levels of play on the horizon there.

I think a team willing to take a chance on Huberdeau would be pleasantly surprised. PLD, meh.

Reactions: Pens1566

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
They are rare deals, indeed. It's the right idea just the wrong player IMO. At least as this team stands, now.

Man... I really, really wish (if they were available like some rumors implied at the time) that the Penguins would have made some noise to grab either Tank back when he wanted outta St Louis or even better Boeser last year when he was going through some shit with his father passing. I couldn't believe how many people were down on that kind of deal... dude's shot is elite and there is NOTHING like that on this team.

Obviously he's going nowhere NOW.

I'm not sure about this. Much like the JT Miller and Phil Kessel hate, I think if you get PLD in a environment where they have success he'll suddenly be fine.

Tarasenko cost a 1st. I don't know that we should've done that for a UFA and he's looked invisible in Florida.

Boeser for Marino was the type of deal I would've been happy to make a few years ago.. most of the people saying no to PLD right now were saying "how could you give up Marino for THAT".

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Maybe somebody gets the most out of PLD, maybe he sorts his shit out and finds consistency, maybe he reaches his draft ceiling. Won't be here in this dysfunctional organization staring down an ugly post-Sid era, married to a coach that would absolutely hate PLD's guts and vice versa.

But trading for an absolute, 100% terrible fit with an awful contract for nearly a decade is the exact kind of self-inflicted stupidity that this team's all about. That's how we do things in Pittsburgh.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not sure about this. Much like the JT Miller and Phil Kessel hate, I think if you get PLD in a environment where they have success he'll suddenly be fine.

Tarasenko cost a 1st. I don't know that we should've done that for a UFA and he's looked invisible in Florida.

Boeser for Marino was the type of deal I would've been happy to make a few years ago.. most of the people saying no to PLD right now were saying "how could you give up Marino for THAT".

I was less enthusiastic about Tank than I was about the idea of stealing Boeser last year. I realize everyone wanted Miller instead and hey that woulda been cool, too. But it sure seemed like Boeser could have been had for something not so backbreaking. But it's not like I know anything. Perhaps Vancouver saw what I saw and weren't ever coming off of him... dunno.

Fair enough re: a turnaround with a player like PLD. You may be right. But not here I don't think. Talk to me again about it if this team sacks up and does the right thing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I was less enthusiastic about Tank than I was about the idea of stealing Boeser last year. I realize everyone wanted Miller instead and hey that woulda been cool, too. But it sure seemed like Boeser could have been had for something not so backbreaking. But it's not like I know anything. Perhaps Vancouver saw what I saw and weren't ever coming off of him... dunno.

Fair enough re: a turnaround with a player like PLD. You may be right. But not here I don't think. Talk to me again about it if this team sacks up and does the right thing.

PLD and Torts seemed to get along fine when they were winning. Sully is a softer Torts. I don't think it would really be an issue tbh.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I don't think getting PLD is that outrageous tbh. This team is dead in the water pretty much regardless of what they do. The only way to creak open the door even a little bit is getting players like PLD/Huberdeau for free.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't think getting PLD is that outrageous tbh. This team is dead in the water pretty much regardless of what they do. The only way to creak open the door even a little bit is getting players like PLD/Huberdeau for free.

Exactly. I'd much rather get a player in his mid 20s than a Huberdeau too.

Although, I'd take the Huberdeau risk if it meant getting out of Graves too.

I'd probably take any bad contract in the league over Graves outside of a goaltender.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I just don't think there's a way to sell me on PLD, man. Dude's so overrated because of his draft pedigree and frame. I don't know that he's the lockerroom cancer he's made out to be, but the guy's inconsistency and laziness would drive people f***ing insane, and for good reason. And the fact that he's hated it in a Columbus team that's as bad as this team's about to be shortly, and a Winnipeg team that's as bad as this team's been for a few years, doesn't bode well for this whole reclamation project idea. And Sullivan certainly ain't getting blood from that stone.
Rakell's Penguins' career- .27 gpg, .37 apg, .64 ppg @ $5 mil.
PLD's career- .28 gpg, .38 apg, .66 ppg @ $8.5 mil.
$3.5 million more? For 3 more years? Someone needs to put the crack pipe down.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This team's probably not gonna be ready to compete again until PLD's like 34. :laugh:

I still think you can find a taker for Jarry with minimal bad coming back. Not confident of that on the Graves front. Locking into a near sure-fire fail like PLD for so long, at his cap hit, is so asinine that only we'd come up with the idea due to another year of 5+ months of bored nothingness. :laugh:

• Love
Reactions: Ulf5

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Rakell's Penguins' career- .27 gpg, .37 apg, .64 ppg @ $5 mil.
PLD's career- .28 gpg, .38 apg, .66 ppg @ $8.5 mil.
$3.5 million more? For 3 more years? Someone needs to put the crack pipe down.

Weird way to judge him.

PLD .26 gpg. .38 apg. .64 ppg
Rakell .23 gpg. .17 apg .40 ppg

When you don't purposefully use a sample that makes Rakell look good.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
This team's probably not gonna be ready to compete again until PLD's like 34. :laugh:

I still think you can find a taker for Jarry with minimal bad coming back. Not confident of that on the Graves front. Locking into a near sure-fire fail like PLD for so long, at his cap hit, is so asinine that only we'd come up with the idea due to another year of 5+ months of bored nothingness. :laugh:

It's so weird how you are equating one bad year from PLD as him being a sure-fire fail.

Well. It's not, I guess I admire the bit.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's so weird how you are equating one bad year from PLD as him being a sure-fire fail.

Well. It's not, I guess I admire the bit.
It's some kind of ironic that the guy whose entire personality is being a "Sully bad man" meme is trying to call someone out for their posting. But hey, you do you.

PLD sucks. He's an albatross waiting to happen and he does nothing for this team now or moving forward. He makes nearly as much as both the albatross guys you're trying to get rid of (and rightfully so), and his contract is two years longer than Graves', so when it spectacularly fails, we can be here in a year talking about how to get out of Dubas' latest swing and miss. But that gives you more shit to complain about and I know that's your bit, so I can see where the motivation's coming from.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Weird way to judge him.

PLD .26 gpg. .38 apg. .64 ppg
Rakell .23 gpg. .17 apg .40 ppg

When you don't purposefully use a sample that makes Rakell look good.
Rakell career- .28, .34, .62
PLD career- .28, .38, .66
Someone smoking crack.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It's some kind of ironic that the guy whose entire personality is being a "Sully bad man" meme is trying to call someone out for their posting. But hey, you do you.

PLD sucks. He's an albatross waiting to happen and he does nothing for this team now or moving forward. He makes nearly as much as both the albatross guys you're trying to get rid of (and rightfully so), and his contract is two years longer than Graves', so when it spectacularly fails, we can be here in a year talking about how to get out of Dubas' latest swing and miss. But that gives you more shit to complain about and I know that's your bit, so I can see where the motivation's coming from.

PLD doesn't suck. He's clearly overpaid, but this is the kind of creative shit that Dubas needs to do. He needs to dump bad contracts and take home run swings if he wants "to get younger".

I'm curious like who you even think is good. Everyone on the Penguins sucks. Malkin's career is over. The Penguins have been terrible since 18-19. PLD sucks. Every team sucks. Every player sucks.

Rakell career- .28, .34, .62
PLD career- .28, .38, .66
Someone smoking crack.

Playoffs filter was on NHL.COM LOL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad