Post-Game Talk: Pens-2, Flames-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
but mom, other GMs messed up too so it's ok that Shero did too!

Dude, just stop. Nobody is defending it. But there is absolutely no reason to talk about it right now. It has nothing to do with the game we just played. Pouliot is on this team. He is one of the few players who looked good in it. Just stop turning every mention of him into a Shero ***** fest.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The issue here is, hope this is clear enough, It didn't matter the line-mates 'cause, Malkin did it all alone with his own stick. (before you even come in with "he tried to do it all alone because of his line-mates")He was messing up plays that he makes look like child's play any other game. Meaning his line-mates had no recourse of his play.

Geno made poor choices throughout the game.

That doesn't mean Kunitz wasn't terrible. He was. Just terrible. Here's the thing; we have seen Kessel and Hagelin produce together without Geno. So even if Geno was bad, the line could have a chance. Not with Kunitz there. I'm not absolving Malkin. He had a bad game. But we've seen Geno and Sid both have good games ruined by Kunitz all year. He's really bad.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I've never seen people so insistent that a team game is an individual game.

Kunitz is ****. He's absolute ****. THAT HAS AN EFFECT ON THE PEOPLE HE PLAYS WITH. Hockey players are not automatons who live in vacuums. They are human beings who are affected by the variable around them. Kunitz is a negative variable.

This isn't high level thinking.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016

I didn't notice that... plus all the shots Pens missed. The Flames deserve the credit, they were fast and they played very aggressive. But we had to play better.

You can't win many games with Kunitz and Kessel in your top 6. Well, better to say, with the way Kunitz and Kessel are playing.
Their combined cap hit is around 10M, you can find players that would be a better fit for your 1st line LW and 2nd line RW, for this money. Or two 1st or 2nd line wingers, if you're happy with Hagelin-Hornqvist combo (I wouldn't because Hags is only a third wheel). But it's thoughts for the offseason...we're stuck with them right now. Also, I wouldn't trust JR to make big moves. He's almost always overpays/doesn't get enough value back.
Bonino was invisible prior the injury and is invisible right now. I think they should roll the 3rd line of Wilson-Cullen-Rust or Bonino-Cullen-Rust(this line had some good shifts in the last game against the Rangers). Maybe it's time to send Kuhn to the AHL, because he's not showing anything right now. Simon or Jeffrey to call up.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I didn't notice that... plus all the shots Pens missed. The Flames deserve the credit, they were fast and they played very aggressive. But we had to play better.

You can't win many games with Kunitz and Kessel in your top 6. Well, better to say, with the way Kunitz and Kessel are playing.
Their combined cap hit is around 10M, you can find players that would be a better fit for your 1st line LW and 2nd line RW, for this money. Or two 1st or 2nd line wingers, if you're happy with Hagelin-Hornqvist combo (I wouldn't because Hags is only a third wheel). But it's thoughts for the offseason...we're stuck with them right now. Also, I wouldn't trust JR to make big moves. He's almost always overpays/doesn't get enough value back.
Bonino was invisible prior the injury and is invisible right now. I think they should roll the 3rd line of Wilson-Cullen-Rust or Bonino-Cullen-Rust(this line had some good shifts in the last game against the Rangers). Maybe it's time to send Kuhn to the AHL, because he's not showing anything right now. Simon or Jeffrey to call up.

Yeah, Kessel playing like a 65 point winger lately is really our problem in the top 6. Seriously, you can say he's been underwhelming. But don't compare him to Kunitz.

JakeNBake59

WizardofFire
Feb 20, 2016
Crosby's back yard
If Bennett is in the top 6, it really should be with Geno and Kessel imo. And honestly, right now I would be thrilled to have the good version of KCD back vs what we have, especially if its followed up by Bennett-Geno-Kessel. The only reason I would consider moving Hornqvist away from Sid's RW is to put Kessel there. The two are really freaking good together.

no no no 4 periods deems them not to work together
4 periods deems Hagelin not to be good enough either for the top line but infinity periods determines that Kunitz still works with Crosby :sarcasm:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
The issue here is, hope this is clear enough, It didn't matter the line-mates 'cause, Malkin did it all alone with his own stick. (before you even come in with "he tried to do it all alone because of his line-mates")He was messing up plays that he makes look like child's play any other game. Meaning his line-mates had no recourse of his play.

Geno made poor choices throughout the game.

And I hope this is clear enough. What Geno was doing was irrelevant. You do not break up the only thing that is working for you in a game.

Sid's line was rolling. Leave it alone. Geno's was not. Geno was struggling, yes. Don't make Sid struggle, too.

Now Geno was having a bad game. Kunitz is a bad player and wasn't helping. Geno's line needed to change. It did not need to also change Sid's

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah, Kessel playing like a 65 point winger lately is really our problem in the top 6. Seriously, you can say he's been underwhelming. But don't compare him to Kunitz.

Interesting question.

Would you rather have Kessel at 6.8 mil for the next 6 or so years with Kunitz still on the roster. Or had no salary retention and moved Kunitz.

If you're looking at production/$. Kessel at 6.8 is worse than Kunitz at 3.8.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Hagelin is a good shutdown guy on a 3rd line. Stamkos UFA 9.7M. Taylor Hall in MAF trade.

Hall - Crosby - Jagr
Stamkos - Malkin - Sprong
Hagelin - OPEN - Kessel

No Fleury. No Kunitz. You get Stamkos.

No Hornqvist. No Bonino. You get Hall.

Not rocket science.

You slide in Tavares at 3C and I like our chances. What would our PP set up look like?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Interesting question.

Would you rather have Kessel at 6.8 mil for the next 6 or so years with Kunitz still on the roster. Or had no salary retention and moved Kunitz.

If you're looking at production/$. Kessel at 6.8 is worse than Kunitz at 3.8.

You need to look at more than production/$ though. And the retention shouldn't have prevented us from dumping Kunitz. Long term ovviously I'd have to say I want the retention. But if you're just talking this year I'd rather spend 1.2M to get rid of Kunitz.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
my mistake. :laugh:

like I told Kirk, I understood that, at some point in time, Sullivan was going to go back to Kunitz - Crosby - Anyone, but WHY in the middle of that line being the only line who can score?

If you're like "we need a spark!" you jumble every other line besides the one that's on a 4-goals-in-4-periods roll.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
You need to look at more than production/$ though. And the retention shouldn't have prevented us from dumping Kunitz. Long term ovviously I'd have to say I want the retention. But if you're just talking this year I'd rather spend 1.2M to get rid of Kunitz.

I think I'd rather not have Phil Kessel if he was making 8 million dollars/year for the rest of Sid/Geno's better years and this is the caliber of play we can expect.

I think that'd be far worse than having Kunitz for another year.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
like I told Kirk, I understood that, at some point in time, Sullivan was going to go back to Kunitz - Crosby - Anyone, but WHY in the middle of that line being the only line who can score?

If you're like "we need a spark!" you jumble every other line besides the one that's on a 4-goals-in-4-periods roll.
Because Kunitz is not allowed to leave the top 6. I really don't get it. Three coaches in a row are doing it.
I think I'd rather not have Phil Kessel if he was making 8 million dollars/year for the rest of Sid/Geno's better years and this is the caliber of play we can expect.

I think that'd be far worse than having Kunitz for another year.

Well I did say I'd want the retention long term. And I also expect him to get better. I think he's mostly been better. Though the whole line was a mess today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad