Post-Game Talk: Penguins

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Good to see some goals, and happy for Larkin and Seider to get a lot of pts on the night.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That only tells part of it. At the worst part of his season he was -18 after about 30 games or so.

Seider has now had two weak season starts, but he has also had two phenomenally better 2nd halfs.

Would the right timing for next contract be at mid-point of next season....? ;)

Just when he could be looking not so good again as he is at his best, do a mid-season cost-controlled extension deal, and let him rock again for the 2nd half. :cool: And seasons after....

Reactions: Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Seider has now had two weak season starts, but he has also had two phenomenally better 2nd halfs.

Would the be right timing for next contract be at mid-point of next season....? ;)

Just when he could be looking not so good again as he is at his best, do a mid-season cost-controlled extension deal, and let him rock again for the 2nd half. :cool:

Not sure what you mean by weak start last year though. He had 8 pts in his first 10 NHL games last year. After 20 GP he had 2 G, 11 A, 13 PTS and was only -1 last season.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I missed the last part- does anyone remember that one guy who used to score... Perron? What's he doing the days?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Not sure what you mean by weak start last year though. He had 8 pts in his first 10 NHL games last year. After 20 GP he had 2 G, 11 A, 13 PTS and was only -1 last season.

Season half is not 10GP or 20 GP.

But he is already like a veteran. Usually rookies and youngsters will hit the 50-game wall on early days of the career, but Seider just gets going on that mark. And it's not about just calculating points, the overall effort, started hitting people etc.

It was easy to see from the Calder race. All scoring forwards at the race faded away after 50-games, and Seider was the only one able to play 80-game season with good level.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007

WTF and HORSE BEEP is EXACTLY the RIGHT RESPONSE! The Penquin clearly pushed the pillow into the net.

Larkin with 3 points gets him 3 away from his PB.

Seider - I am only concerned about him developing some bad habits in these meaningless games. Too many of these pinches, though he is likely being coached to take the risk, are putting him on the wrong side of the puck.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Seider - I am only concerned about him developing some bad habits in these meaningless games. Too many of these pinches, though he is likely being coached to take the risk, are putting him on the wrong side of the puck.
We've got good coaching, either they are working with him on further developing his offense or they will work with him on managing risk. If he can flesh out his offensive game to go along with his ability to play defense on the top pairing then he could be the full package. So I've got no problem with him using these last meaningless games to focus on areas where he can level up his game.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Season half is not 10GP or 20 GP.

But he is already like a veteran. Usually rookies and youngsters will hit the 50-game wall on early days of the career, but Seider just gets going on that mark. And it's not about just calculating points, the overall effort, started hitting people etc.

It was easy to see from the Calder race. All scoring forwards at the race faded away after 50-games, and Seider was the only one able to play 80-game season with good level.

Yeah, but if he was really good for the first 20 GP, then how does his first half last year equal weak? I didn't even look at his next 20 GP, but there is no way he was bad enough to say he had a weak start in the first half last year.

WTF and HORSE BEEP is EXACTLY the RIGHT RESPONSE! The Penquin clearly pushed the pillow into the net.

Larkin with 3 points gets him 3 away from his PB.

You are concerned about a guy who just a had a +3 night with 2 assists, and has gone from -18 to -6???

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
We've got good coaching, either they are working with him on further developing his offense or they will work with him on managing risk. If he can flesh out his offensive game to go along with his ability to play defense on the top pairing then he could be the full package. So I've got no problem with him using these last meaningless games to focus on areas where he can level up his game.

I agree. IF the coaches are saying activate and take the risk, so he improves his play reading skills to learn when to join and when not to join, I am all for it.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Seider last year in the first half vs second half:

First 41 GP, 3 G, 23 A, 26 PTS, +1
Last 41 GP, 4 G, 20 A, 24 PTS, -10

Where is the supposed weak start vs better second half last year? If anything he slowed down in the season, which is what I remember seeing last season.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Yeah, but if he was really good for the first 20 GP, then how does his first half last year equal weak? I didn't even look at his next 20 GP, but there is no way he was bad enough to say he had a weak start in the first half last year.

You are concerned about a guy who just a had a +3 night with 2 assists, and has gone from -18 to -6???

No.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad