Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Sidney Crosby to two year extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Simultaneously relieved and kinda sad. Relieved for obvious reasons. Sad that Sid chained himself to these bozos for another two years.
Yeah, my one "disappointment" is Sid likely never moves up the all-time playoff scoring lists now. All he needed was likely one more playoff appearance, even a 4 game sweep loss, to move into sole possession of 5th place ahead of Jagr. And one decent run (ie. making it past the first round) could have seen him move into 4th all time ahead of Glenn Anderson.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
IojI48y.gif

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, my one "disappointment" is Sid likely never moves up the all-time playoff scoring lists now. All he needed was likely one more playoff appearance, even a 4 game sweep loss, to move into sole possession of 5th place ahead of Jagr. And one decent run (ie. making it past the first round) could have seen him move into 4th all time ahead of Glenn Anderson.

Crosby is obviously nowhere near my levels of petty but I kinda wish he would have stuck the team with an insane, monster contract and then peaced out on it one season from now. He could frame it with something like "I wanted to make it seem like I was trying but really I was always just gonna give up after one year. You can relate, Kyle. Don't be mad... maybe somehow you can turn this situation into a third round pick in 2027."

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Thank Hextall , and Sullivan for that

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Crosby is obviously nowhere near my levels of petty but I kinda wish he would have stuck the team with an insane, monster contract and then peaced out on it one season from now. He could frame it with something like "I wanted to make it seem like I was trying but really I was always just gonna give up after one year. You can relate, Kyle. Don't be mad... maybe somehow you can turn this situation into a third round pick in 2027."
"Don't worry, Kyle. You can flip me at the deadline for another package of prospects with 4th line potential! You'll have the deepest bottom six prospect pool in hockey."

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

LevelingSolo

Jan 15, 2012
Say what you want. He only wants what's best for this team. He's proven it time and again.
I hate to be that Garp but I wonder if this is what is truly best for the Penguins. They aren't close to contention and could receive a haul for him to kick start a rebuild

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

We truly are lucky Sid's never been about the money (relatively speaking). When you look at how much he keeps taking versus the other young superstars in the league and it's hard not to respect him leaving money on the table so the team can flesh out the roster better (whether they actually use that extra savings wisely is another discussion).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Interesting note from the Athletic article about Crosby's extension: the only holdup in the extension talks was Crosby wanting to take as much time as possible to decide what term and AAV he wanted. Crosby let the Penguins know his intention to re-sign right after the season and the Penguins made their offer in June (which was probably "2-4 years at any AAV you want"), and it was just Crosby taking all of the time he needed in the off-season to decide on the exact details he wanted.

Which aligns with why we heard literally nothing all off-season, it was literally just Crosby pondering it for months until he let the team know what he wanted. It's also a completely sharp contrast with how the Letang and Malkin negotiations were handled by Hextall.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
We truly are lucky Sid's never been about the money (relatively speaking). When you look at how much he keeps taking versus the other young superstars in the league and it's hard not to respect him leaving money on the table so the team can flesh out the roster better (whether they actually use that extra savings wisely is another discussion).
His last deal being front loaded really helped that hit come down. He was making 12+ million a year, 10 years ago, salary wise. Guys can’t sign those types of deals anymore.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yeah this might be it for him. Selanne had a 80 point season at 40 but really fell off after that. I can’t think of anyone else who was that productive at that age. Howe but that was a much different time.

Anyways, we should enjoy the next 3 years. If he can stay relatively healthy he’s passing Mario.
Jagr was crazy good well into his 40s. I don't think it's out of the question that Sid could be the same provided he wants to keep going.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad