PHI $24.1 (7) +2
CLB $18.7 (6)
NYI $17.9 (6)

Last edited:
Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
My main concern now is if our bottom 6 forwards can get out of the D zone with possession and get to the offensive zone, and sustain enough pressure there so that any of our pairings, but particularly the potentially weaker guys like Matheson and Ceci, aren’t just stuck defending/chasing for entire shifts every night. That and whether we can commit, for a full season, to keeping a forward high to back up the D so it’s not just odd-man rushes against all game long. Even 6 cloned, prime Prongers wouldn’t look good in such scenarios.
100% agree with this. This is what will make or break this team, as constructed.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
KCIg.gif

KCIn.gif

LR1l.gif

KCIj.gif

Reactions: TKalltheTime

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Ceci is looking like 4M-ish defenseman right there. Skating well, defending well, getting involved in offense. Wow. And we really needed his presence with all of these injuries. So many funny comments here, haha.

Reactions: CrosbyMalkin

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
He's had like two solid games. :laugh: It's encouraging, but try not to pull a muscle jerking yourself off over people assuming a guy who has always sucked would continue to suck here (and did for the first handful of games before getting benched).

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
He's had like two solid games. :laugh: It's encouraging, but try not to pull a muscle jerking yourself off over people assuming a guy who has always sucked would continue to suck here (and did for the first handful of games before getting benched).
2 solid games?? Come on. It´s like 6-7 solid games in a row. Today it was not solid tho. It was excellent. Before today he had like 6 solid games. Really, his only bad game was the first one, then he got benched for a moment and after that he´s been rock solid.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
2 solid games?? Come on. It´s like 6-7 solid games in a row. Today it was not solid tho. It was excellent. Before today he had like 6 solid games. Really, his only bad game was the first one, then he got benched for a moment and after that he´s been rock solid.

10 games and 5 points and a +3

Doing great for us

Reactions: Factorial

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
He’s definitely played well. Much better than any of us predicted. But let’s not crown him a $4M deserving D-Man!

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
He’s definitely played well. Much better than any of us predicted. But let’s not crown him a $4M deserving D-Man!

For $1.25 million he has been better than anyone could expect. Pens definitely have a huge improvement with the additions of POJ, Matheson, and Ceci added to this team over last year's JJ and Schultz. The defense is much deeper this year. Should get very interesting when all are healthy.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
For $1.25 million he has been better than anyone could expect. Pens definitely have a huge improvement with the additions of POJ, Matheson, and Ceci added to this team over last year's JJ and Schultz. The defense is much deeper this year. Should get very interesting when all are healthy.

Yes, it will. I definitely think POJ should stay in under all circumstances. But 3 out of Riikola (most likely IMO), Matheson, Ceci and Ruhwedel will be scratched.

Dumo - Letang
Petersson - Marino
POJ - Matheson

That’s how I predict it to look. Not saying I necessarily agree, but that’s what I think we’ll see. But, I doubt the corps ever gets totally healthy, because, you know, it’s the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yes, it will. I definitely think POJ should stay in under all circumstances. But 3 out of Riikola (most likely IMO), Matheson, Ceci and Ruhwedel will be scratched.

Dumo - Letang
Petersson - Marino
POJ - Matheson

That’s how I predict it to look. Not saying I necessarily agree, but that’s what I think we’ll see. But, I doubt the corps ever gets totally healthy, because, you know, it’s the Pittsburgh Penguins.

If Matheson and Marino can continue to build some chemistry and not be a dumpster fire defensively I think you see Petts and POJ forming the bottom pairing.

Reactions: ncm7772

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Ceci’a problem has always been being overplayed. He’s never been as bad as JJ if he’s in a limited role. I say Gudbranson is the same. JJ was just a dumb player who became hilariously bad once his tools eroded and the Pens signed him when they decline started.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I mean, people used this same argument for Jack Johnson prior to us losing two playoff series mainly behind him being a defensive trainwreck.

Ceci has 5 points in 10 games and is +3. Some of his best games have been when he stepped up to play big minutes when the defense was down 5 defensman. I don't think you can say anything bad about what Ceci has done and he is doing it for $1.25 million a year. Ceci most likely will not keep up the point production pace and just has to give us number 6 production and I think he is a good bet for that. If you really still believe Ceci is not a legit bottom pairing defensman then you are hopelessly bias. Your prejudice against Ceci is obvious and comparing him to JJ is laughable.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
If he stays good he's earned himself another 1 year contract.

I would be fine with a short term deal on the cheap. I don't think it is in the cards though. Ceci will use this good year to sign a big contract with another team. If Ceci keeps up his play anything like he has been he will cost too much. Ceci was a great cheap option for a veteran at $1.25 million but not for what he will cost this summer.

Reactions: Ms Maggie

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ceci is a guy I'd look at re-signing after they trade Dumoulin for futures and plan on running with Pettersson, POJ and Matheson as their LD.

For now, just let him play out and see what happens. No need to extend a guy 12 games into a season after all. I think he can be a solid #5D for someone, but I'm certainly not willing to gamble on a contract this early over waiting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad