#1 Prospect

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
NHLer now, or will be one? And is there a whole chunk of an episode of him talking Pens prospects worth listening to?

Anyway, I thought he'd be a top six guy after D+1, and once I realised he no longer was the same guy in D+2 I dropped that.

It’s not a chunk. But like 3-4 minutes. Him and Max the Red Wings guy have been doing podcasts covering his “team prospect rankings”.

I think the big thing with Poulin is he is a power forward supposedly. Those always take a few years to show up. His season last year in Wilkes was really good IMO. He took awhile to adjust, but finished strong.

Reactions: Peat

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I mean that does, I don't like it but how many points he'll get will be a huge contributor to how well he does. Are there any sites worth looking at?
Dobberhockey is probably the most renowned. They have a lot of different writers, though, so it can be hit or miss. They've actually had a few writers get scooped up by NHL teams as scouts.

There are some other people that I take in, seems like a lot more are switching to podcasts rather than written media. I've taken the approach of giving it a few years and looking back on their past takes to see if they are worth continuing to follow or not. The Hockey Writers also have some pretty good prospect writers, but I usually only use them for the current draft crop. I don't know how well they cover guys after they are drafted. They convinced me on some guys like Hintz, Fox, and Theodore which has paid off huge.

Reactions: Peat

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It’s not a chunk. But like 3-4 minutes. Him and Max the Red Wings guy have been doing podcasts covering his “team prospect rankings”.

I think the big thing with Poulin is he is a power forward supposedly. Those always take a few years to show up. His season last year in Wilkes was really good IMO. He took awhile to adjust, but finished strong.

Ahhh yes, the whole power forwards take a decade to develop. I haven’t heard this excuse since the Tangradi days. Speaking of Tangradi, he’s a real estate agent in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Al Smith and jmelm

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ahhh yes, the whole power forwards take a decade to develop. I haven’t heard this excuse since the Tangradi days. Speaking of Tangradi, he’s a real estate agent in Pittsburgh.

Poulin has played one season in a professional league.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Right now my hope is Poulin can end up like Bonino. Not the swiftest, no outstanding skill, but with more than enough skill, compete and smarts to make up for it. I don't think it's an entirely off comparison given how Poulin plays and how he's now looking more at home at C, but I think he's going to have speed up how he plays and be more aggressive. I think that should come with more experience though.

But who knows how he looks coming into camp. It is a fair point power forwards usually take longer to develop, and in a lot of ways this should be his best off-season in a long time.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

I'm just glad he's a functioning human and didn't suffer permanent brain damage from the Gilles assault.

Reactions: Victor Z and jmelm

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Poulin has played one season in a professional league.
I realize that. I just have to be prepared mentally when fans give him a free pass for the next 5 years, because “power forwards take longer to develop.”

Reactions: jmelm

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I realize that. I just have to be prepared mentally when fans give him a free pass for the next 5 years, because “power forwards take longer to develop.”
I kinda get that historically power forwards take some time to develop comparatively...but when I watch Poulin I don't see a dominant physical forward.

He's 6'1 208? That makes him a power forward....all I see is a slow skater that needs to make big leaps in that realm to make the league. Does he lay big hits or dominate possession. Those are real questions as I've seen none of it.

Maybe he does and I'm a big meanie.

Reactions: jmelm and Andy99

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I kinda get that historically power forwards take some time to develop comparatively...but when I watch Poulin I don't see a dominant physical forward.

He's 6'1 208? That makes him a power forward....all I see is a slow skater that needs to make big leaps in that realm to make the league. Does he lay big hits or dominate possession. Those are real questions as I've seen none of it.

Agreed.

According to Hockey-Graphs, the average NHLer stands 6-foot-1 and weighs 201 pounds.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

I think the reason he's projected as a power forward is two reasons.

#1. He's dad.
#2. His net front play.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Agreed.

According to Hockey-Graphs, the average NHLer stands 6-foot-1 and weighs 201 pounds.
A guy like Zohorna could be one at 6'6 220. That would make sense. But as much as I like him he's less jam and more finesse. I hope he is grittier this year.

#1. He's dad.
#2. His net front play.
Meh. So is Guentzel a power forward?

Reactions: jmelm

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Comparing the two makes me believe you've never watched Samuel Poulin play a game.
I'll admit I've gotten limited viewings but I've never gotten power forward from him. I'll be suprised if he makes the league and that he can be a physical presence to warrant a label like that.

I'm open to learning from someone that watched him in the A a lot last year. Does he dominate his competition through possession strength, hitting, board play?

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh

#1. He's dad.
#2. His net front play.

#3. Playing for an organization where even average NHL size is an anomaly, though the far more massive anomaly would be having decent size and actually using it while wearing a Penguin sweater. If the coach will allow him to do so, that is.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Ryan Malone would probably be my comp for him if we are talking previous Penguins.

Isn't Poulin a lot smaller (shorter) than Malone? I'd never envisioned Poulin as playing a powerforward game, unless you'd describe a guy like Saad or (blast from the past) Fedotenko as being powerforwards.

Thinking about it, someone like Fedotenko might be Poulin's best case scenario at the NHL level at this point. Love to be wrong, but anything more than Fedotenko and you'd probably see much more high end offense than Poulin's showing.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Isn't Poulin a lot smaller (shorter) than Malone? I'd never envisioned Poulin as playing a powerforward game, unless you'd describe a guy like Saad or (blast from the past) Fedotenko as being powerforwards.

Thinking about it, someone like Fedotenko might be Poulin's best case scenario at the NHL level at this point. Love to be wrong, but anything more than Fedotenko and you'd probably see much more high end offense than Poulin's showing.

Two inches shorter than Malone, one taller than Fedotenko; eight lbs heavier than Fedotenko, 15-20 lighter than Malone.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Poulin's play style has been pretty well established since he was drafted, he's a jack of all trades type of guy in the Saad mold. The only debate there is really his upside, but I think his play style is pretty well understood. A super well rounded guy with good size but mediocre skating.

I think people are down on Poulin because he didn't hit the sky high expectations people had for him in his rookie year, but he did have a strong finish to last year in WBS. From January through the end of the year, he had 12 goals and 30 points in 51 games while playing center (as far as I know). WBS is also pretty starved for offensive talent, their top scorer last year had 42 points and they were in the bottom third in the league in total goals for.

I don't think there's a huge difference between POJ and Poulin in terms of upside, both guys project to be more of depth players than anything at this point. Poulin projects as more of a jack of all trades 3rd line C/W with mediocre skating while POJ projects more of a #4 transitional defenseman with no special teams upside. I think those upsides are fairly comparable.

As an aside, I think I agree with Pronman that the best Penguins young player at this point is Smith. Smith has POJ's NHL readiness with a clearly defined higher upside. A lot of the Penguins prospect pool is filled with near NHL ready, lower upside guys like POJ and Poulin. Smith actually has that upside though, even with his defensive shortcomings.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

I don't think Poulin is a power forward, but that is what he was billed as heading into the draft. I used Malone as a comparison given his net front presence and shoddy skating.

Fedotenko is probably a good one too though. Honestly, if he turns into a Fedotenko type that'd be a big win for us IMO. 20 goal 40 pt winger with size and responsible play would be a great add for this team on the cheap.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I don't think Poulin is a power forward, but that is what he was billed as heading into the draft. I used Malone as a comparison given his net front presence and shoddy skating.

Fedotenko is probably a good one too though. Honestly, if he turns into a Fedotenko type that'd be a big win for us IMO. 20 goal 40 pt winger with size and responsible play would be a great add for this team on the cheap.
That all I was getting at. None of what he's showing against pro players is power forward.

As Emp said a guy that's good at most things but doesn't excel at any in the 3rd line role is probably his best bet. If he figures out how to skate efficiently or mask that against NHL players maybe he's a 3rd wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad