Tribute Penguins Player Rankings #14: Option Value

Who is the Penguins 14th Best Player

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
After getting feedback that the choices have become too narrow, I know wish to unleash your respective wild sides by voting for Zohorna or Friedman or whatever for #14.

1. Crosby (70%)
2. Geno (82.5%)
3. Letang (considered a formality, 17.5% of the #2 poll)
4. Guentzel (85%)
5. Dumoulin (73%)
6. Rust (50%)
7. Kapanen (58%)
8. Carter (71%)
9. Marino (44%)
10. Blueger (38%)
11. Zucker (68%)
12. Matheson (55%)
13. Jarry (50%)

80% of our salary cap is now spoken for. @Pens x feel free to point out that the remaining players aren't as good as the earlier ones.

upload_2021-9-8_21-25-29.png

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Switching up and going DeSmith despite voting for McGinn last round. Has bailed us out mid season a few times.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Do you think a third pairing D man should be ahead of a third-line forward who may move up to play on the top two lines? I don’t…hence I’ll take McGinn over Petts…

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Do you think a third pairing D man should be ahead of a third-line forward who may move up to play on the top two lines? I don’t…hence I’ll take McGinn over Petts…

Good chance Pettersson plays more minutes than McGinn even if McGinn does move up. I'd argue it's the more important role.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Good chance Pettersson plays more minutes than McGinn even if McGinn does move up. I'd argue it's the more important role.

maybe…we don’t know though…usually third pairing D play 14-15 min, which is the same as what a third line player would play…if Petts plays on the second pairing with Marino then I’d agree with you but I’m not sure that role isn’t going to Matheson

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
maybe…we don’t know though…usually third pairing D play 14-15 min, which is the same as what a third line player would play…if Petts plays on the second pairing with Marino then I’d agree with you but I’m not sure that role isn’t going to Matheson

Depends on how the special teams roles break. I'd probably expect 12:30 or so for a 3rd line player at 5v5, vs about 14-15 for the 3rd pairing dmen, and from there it's all special teams. Quite possible Pettersson doesn't play a major part on both and McGinn finds a PK role and 2nd unit PP. Conversely, maybe Pettersson gets leaned on more for PK, and McGinn doesn't get 2nd unit PP.

But I'd still edge to the 3rd pairing dman as the more important role. He has impact on which end of the ice the game is played and while the forward will produce more, I don't put that above influencing where the game is played unless the forward is clearly the top dog for making goals happen on a line.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Id argue that PoJ is still a prospect, but thats me.....

If you think that POJ is better than some current players, or likely to be better this season then you can put him ahead even if he is a prospect. Same as Poulin or others

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
McGinn hasn't even played a game for this team yet. He's also not played 16 to 20 minutes as often as Petts has. Pettersson can be used as a #4 regularly. Just because MP is used in a 3rd pairing role doesn't mean he's a 3rd pairing d-man much like Cole and Shultz were not 3rd pairing D-men. Now could they use the cap space? Sure. Depth is also fine.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
McGinn hasn't even played a game for this team yet. He's also not played 16 to 20 minutes as often as Petts has. Pettersson can be used as a #4 regularly. Just because MP is used in a 3rd pairing role doesn't mean he's a 3rd pairing d-man much like Cole and Shultz were not 3rd pairing D-men. Now could they use the cap space? Sure. Depth is also fine.
Shiny new toy syndrome

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Petts is Maatta with slightly lesser positional awareness and skill, but with NHL skating. All told I think he's better than Maatta ended up being, but worse than Maatta could have been before all the health issues.

OK OK... maybe I'm being a little harsh.

He's like a bargain bin Paul Martin. But when you bring him up to the register the discount doesn't come off and you have to argue with the cashier.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
OK OK... maybe I'm being a little harsh.

He's like a bargain bin Paul Martin. But when you bring him up to the register the discount doesn't come off and you have to argue with the cashier.

Martin was 7.04% of the cap in his final season with us. Pettersson is at 4.93%. It's not a bad discount.

Pettersson's problem is he no longer has the role that justifies the cap hit and while he's probably got the talent for it, it's about the most boring talent imaginable.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Martin was 7.04% of the cap in his final season with us. Pettersson is at 4.93%. It's not a bad discount.

Pettersson's problem is he no longer has the role that justifies the cap hit and while he's probably got the talent for it, it's about the most boring talent imaginable.

Obviously I'm being kind of an ass. MP is a pretty safe guy and is probably best if boring and quiet. So he doesn't pop out at you. Typically you need guys like that on your blueline to win... I'm just not convinced you 4 million dollars need them. Which really isn't his fault but it's hard not to factor in.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I don't think ZAR's fans on this board think very highly of him and most of this board hates him. So. No surprise there.

Where do you think Kunitz circa 2016 ranks? lol.

*Cough* I'm just finding ways to bump these threads *cough*

I don't actually have all that strong of feelings about ZAR =). He probably comes in after McGinn and Petts for me.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
McGinn and Petts fighting each other off.

I understand people are suggesting new toy syndrome.

However I think McGinn has some potential to do really well here.

I would have voted Tanev and McCann over Petts.
McGinn may not be as good as them but we can hope he plays close to that level.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Headed for a McGinn/Petts runoff.

Then we really get to the PensX "bottom of the roster critique" time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad