Proposal: Penguins/Oilers

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I doubt a major return, but he'd get a return. A team would still be on the hook for 4.6 over the next 6 years. He's gonna be 34 when the contract end.
34 isn't a lot for a Dman, Nurse is physically fit and should still be in good shape.
Nurse at 4.6M x6 would be good enough to return any Penguin.

• Haha
Reactions: Gurglesons

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Wow the Nurse hate on these boards is something.

Sure he is overpaid. I don't think any Oiler fan would disagree with that. I've read some posts about him not being a legit NHLer. It's pretty crazy around here at times.

Talking about trading Holloway or Broberg and a 1st to move him and get a bum contract back? Geeeez that is wishful thinking on some posters part.

I think Nurse stays in Edmonton. Long term contract, NMC, close buds with McDavid. Seems to me these trade proposals are kinda moot.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nurse is a fringe #2/3 defenseman that is overpaid by about $3 million a year and has massive consistency issues due to a low hockey IQ. He's the modern day Dion Phaneuf, and Phaneuf sure as hell didn't age well into his 30s.

He has one of the worst contracts in hockey due to how much he's overpaid and how long his deal is. It's also effectively buyout proof due to the insane amount of signing bonuses he has in his last 4 years. It's not going to get any better as Nurse ages, and based on similar kinds of defensemen, he's not going to age well.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I was initially going to barf in response to this, but from the aspect of just buying out Campbell after trading for him, I don't actually hate this.
Win win for both teams. You guys gain 3.5M after buying out Campbell

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
Not necessarily the most rounded proposal, but man a lot of people here seem more willing to sacrifice their firstborn to fertilise their spotty potato field rather than enter into discussions about Nurse's contract. It seems a bit disingenuous, but I get it. Potatoes are important.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
2nd+Bourgault+Campbell for Rakell
I don't think Bourgault is good enough for the Pens to consider this. If you switch him out to Lavoie, then I think it becomes a good conversation to have.

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
Nurse.... 9.25M for another 6 years? No thanks! Is there a contract in the NHL worse than that? Why on earth would the Penguins make a trade for him? Especially considering that they already have 2 NHL defensemen who make a combined 16.1M

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nurse is a fringe #2/3 defenseman that is overpaid by about $3 million a year and has massive consistency issues due to a low hockey IQ. He's the modern day Dion Phaneuf, and Phaneuf sure as hell didn't age well into his 30s.

He has one of the worst contracts in hockey due to how much he's overpaid and how long his deal is. It's also effectively buyout proof due to the insane amount of signing bonuses he has in his last 4 years. It's not going to get any better as Nurse ages, and based on similar kinds of defensemen, he's not going to age well.
Playstyle, Phaneuf is a great comparable for Nurse, but Darnell is a significantly more athletic person than Dion ever was. Unless he runs into some joint issues down the line, it's hard to see Nurse's physical game falling off considerably at any point during this contract.

He's had a poor stretch of games in the playoffs in a lesser role, but he still scored around 30 points again playing next to no PP. Very few defensemen do that.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Take out Rakell, and if the Oilers would be willing to send a pick and a prospect, I would swap Graves for Nurse.

The difference in money means the pick and the prospect would have to be pretty good, though.
Nurse has a full no trade so I doubt he would waive for a declining Pens team.

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad