Proposal: Penguins-Jackets change of scenery trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Penguins trade Rakell (4 years at $5 million AAV) and Jarry (4 years at $5.375 million)
Jackets trade Laine (2 years at $8.7 million) and Merzlikins (3 years at $5.4 million)

The idea here is that the Penguins get the winger upgrade while Columbus gets the goalie upgrade. The Penguins take a little bit more money back in terms of AAV, but get out of a few years of term towards the end of the deals.

The hope for both sides is that the Penguins can rebound Laine's value and end up selling him in the next 2 years, while Jarry stabilizes the starting goalie position for the Jackets (at least more than Merzlikins) and Rakell adds some decent middle-6 scoring.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Penguins trade Rakell (4 years at $5 million AAV) and Jarry (4 years at $5.375 million)
Jackets trade Laine (2 years at $8.7 million) and Merzlikins (3 years at $5.4 million)

The idea here is that the Penguins get the winger upgrade while Columbus gets the goalie upgrade. The Penguins take a little bit more money back in terms of AAV, but get out of a few years of term towards the end of the deals.

The hope for both sides is that the Penguins can rebound Laine's value and end up selling him in the next 2 years, while Jarry stabilizes the starting goalie position for the Jackets (at least more than Merzlikins) and Rakell adds some decent middle-6 scoring.
Are you kidding?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Are you kidding?

Can you give more feedback than "are you kidding"?

Maybe I'm wrong with Laine's value, but I figure that Laine coming off a year with only 18 games played and a $8.7 million cap hit wouldn't have that much value.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Id rather keep Laine and Elvis and wipe their contracts off the books entirely, sooner. In Laine's case, id rather keep him and wait for him to play and rebound or add some sweeteners to move him, even if we need to retain. We don't need the cap space, yet. But by the time the Laine deal expires, we have a ton of contracts that we will need that cap space for.

As for Elvis, as others have said Waddell wants to wait and see with him. If we wait one more year maybe he regains some value and he's movable next off-season or TDL. If not, we send him down or buy him out for a little less than it would cost this year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Id rather keep Laine and Elvis and wipe their contracts off the books entirely, sooner. In Laine's case, id rather keep him and wait for him to play and rebound or add some sweeteners to move him, even if we need to retain. We don't need the cap space, yet. But by the time the Laine deal expires, we have a ton of contracts that we will need that cap space for.

As for Elvis, as others have said Waddell wants to wait and see with him. If we wait one more year maybe he regains some value and he's movable next off-season or TDL. If not, we send him down or buy him out for a little less than it would cost this year.

Yeah I think this explanation definitely makes sense. I think the upgrade from Merzlikins to Jarry plus the cap savings may not be enough for Columbus to justify the extra term left on the deals, especially with guys like Fantilli needing new deals in the near-ish future.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Maybe I'm wrong with Laine's value, but I figure that Laine coming off a year with only 18 games played and a $8.7 million cap hit wouldn't have that much value.
Laine is a 26 year old 6'4 winger with minimal injury history and multiple 30 goal seasons. He's also shown the ability to play at close to a point per game in his most recent healthy seasons.

Two years remaining in term in a deal that has zero financial burden over a rebuilding team.

If Laine gets traded, the team acquiring him will be paying a fairly significant price. The Jackets may help with the cap, but it would only increase the cost of acquisition.

Reactions: Xoggz22

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

It does mean nothing, Laine will be ready. Plus he was 1 PPG player with centers - Jenner and Roslovic and often the AHL level defense (because of injuries). Unless, of course, you think Peeke, Gudbranson and Berni, whom he played with for most of last season, are among the top offensive defensemen.

Also Rakell is 31 and will not be better. We also need a different type of player, more power forward or a center like Lindholm but younger. Simply, bad deal. Honestly, Jarry is nothing special either. And I doubt he'd be any better than Elvis playing in Columbus.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Laine is a 26 year old 6'4 winger with minimal injury history and multiple 30 goal seasons. He's also shown the ability to play at close to a point per game in his most recent healthy seasons.

Two years remaining in term in a deal that has zero financial burden over a rebuilding team.

If Laine gets traded, the team acquiring him will be paying a fairly significant price. The Jackets may help with the cap, but it would only increase the cost of acquisition.

I can't see anyone paying a significant price for Laine right now, at least with no retention on Laine.

I think the most likely outcome here would be "Laine isn't traded" then, because I can't imagine teams will be paying significant assets for him right now after how disastrous his 2023-2024 season was.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I can't see anyone paying a significant price for Laine right now, at least with no retention on Laine.

I think the most likely outcome here would be "Laine isn't traded" then, because I can't imagine teams will be paying significant assets for him right now after how disastrous his 2023-2024 season was.
Possible. I think we're mostly just hoping/assuming that Waddell isn't going to try to force something and instead is just trying to do the fairest he can by Laine without screwing the org in the process.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Pittsburg is sending longer terns for shorter terms.

Pittsburgh nerds to add

Reactions: Fro

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Possible. I think we're mostly just hoping/assuming that Waddell isn't going to try to force something and instead is just trying to do the fairest he can by Laine without screwing the org in the process.

Yeah and that makes sense, because the reason I want the Penguins to target Laine is the same reason why Columbus should want to keep him. If he rebounds into what his ability says he can be, he'd be worth a ton.

I figure the situation is awkward because Columbus probably wouldn't get offered the value they'd want to move him, but Laine did express a desire to be traded. If we're assuming Laine gets moved, the best outcome is Laine having a strong start to 2024-2025 and then being moved when there aren't questions about him like there are now.

Reactions: tgo0 and Viqsi

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Yeah and that makes sense, because the reason I want the Penguins to target Laine is the same reason why Columbus should want to keep him. If he rebounds into what his ability says he can be, he'd be worth a ton.

I figure the situation is awkward because Columbus probably wouldn't get offered the value they'd want to move him, but Laine did express a desire to be traded. If we're assuming Laine gets moved, the best outcome is Laine having a strong start to 2024-2025 and then being moved when there aren't questions about him like there are now.
Although Laine has expressed a desire to be traded, he can't expect to be traded for beads. And Patrik isn't one to make trouble.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Yeah I just think the "change of scenery" idea isn't enough for CBJ. As you said, the reasons to acquire Laine are reasons why CBJ would want to kep him (although I don't think they will). And the reasons for Pens to move esp. Rakell is the reason CBJ doesn't want him.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Laine is a guy I'd be willing to gamble on, but it muddies the waters too much to put the goalies in there. I think id rather keep Jarry than take on Merzilkins too. Devil I know.

Dumping Rakell would be nice, but I think he has the potential for a bounce back. I'd rather focus on a trade of Reilly Smith and Laine.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Laine is a guy I'd be willing to gamble on, but it muddies the waters too much to put the goalies in there. I think id rather keep Jarry than take on Merzilkins too. Devil I know.

Dumping Rakell would be nice, but I think he has the potential for a bounce back. I'd rather focus on a trade of Reilly Smith and Laine.
I'm sure Columbus would rather focus on a Crosby and Laine trade but knowing how unrealistic that is, would not make such a proposal.

Laine is returning more than a sharply trending down vet that Pittsburgh fans are intent as making the core piece.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I'm sure Columbus would rather focus on a Crosby and Laine trade but knowing how unrealistic that is, would not make such a proposal.

Laine is returning more than a sharply trending down vet that Pittsburgh fans are intent as making the core piece.
Laine is damaged goods, especially at 8.7m. Im interested in gambling on him as a reclamation project, but we aren't shelling out major assets for a roll of the dice. Change of scenery for change of scenery. If that's not your cup of tea, good luck to you.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

From an outside point of view, its less that Laine doesn't have much value and more that the return doesn't really make sense Columbus. Columbus would be more concerned about term than AAV.

I think the expectations of some that Laine is worth a "fairly significant price" is a little out of touch considering his time in the player assistance program and request, but there would be enough teams with interest and cap space to think that Columbus can just satisfy his trade request without taking on term and salary.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
From an outside point of view, its less that Laine doesn't have much value and more that the return doesn't really make sense Columbus. Columbus would be more concerned about term than AAV.

I think the expectations of some that Laine is worth a "fairly significant price" is a little out of touch considering his time in the player assistance program and request, but there would be enough teams with interest and cap space to think that Columbus can just satisfy his trade request without taking on term and salary.

Yeah this explanation definitely makes sense when Jackets fans explained it. Having the extra 2 years on Rakell and 1 year on Jarry may present problems when they'll need to be re-signing guys like Fantilli and Johnson (who I imagine gets a bridge deal and is up for extension around then).

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
We should be looking at the PLD deal as a benchmark for a Laine trade,

PLD has 7 years remaining, so bigger risk than Laine.
Laine has other issues, so that's the bigger risk over PLD.

Jarry > Kemper so an even up trade would fit that mold.

but I can see if Merz is still something CBJ wants to work on, this deal doesn't make sense.

How about:
POJ + Smith -> Laine + 3rd rounder
or something in that ball park.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad