Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Blue Jackets 4 (OT) - Playoff Phil Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Simple question. I think that it was Malkin that came back and helped out covering for an open net and taking the puck away supporting the defense.

How often did you see that this year? Or the simple short passes out of the zone that made clearing the puck and the transition game look easy?

I did not want to see Cole go, but unless I am misremembering they needed some space to make the Brassard trade work right?

In any event much more important is the forwards supporting and players making smart crisp passes and doing the work needed. We saw a lot more of that tonight than we had for much of the year. If the forwards step up the defense will be fine.

I hear a lot of shit about how bad our defense is, but I see a lot of talented players making silly mistakes that easily could be fixed. Maatta was a big problem with that tonight.

Goal #1 - no real chance, Mur should save it. Oh well.

Goal #2 - Letang bit hard and Sheahan didn't rotate low. Those are 2 players who would be on the roster with or without Cole.

Goal #3 - Was this the Maatta/Ruh running into one another and Maatta getting walked?

Goal #4 - Was this the one where Dumo/Letang have a 2 on 2 but Letang leaves his guy to support while Dumo gets walked?

And then we had a goal where Sid just gave the puck up in the neutral zone and changed for no reason. They are all blurring into one at this point, but I see a lot of idiotic plays by talented guys that are easily fixed. Especially if we have support from forwards.

And to point out - it's imperative we don't collapse too low as we have been doing. Just head on a swivel picking up a guy.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Remember Zigomanis? Man....he could really win a faceoff.

How dare you? You and the vets around here know my undying love for Ziggy. He flat out won us the game that Staal had a hatty against Detroit with his faceoffs. I would ill for his 60% on the draw.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I wonder how good Kapanen would be in this system tbh.

I could see him putting up 30.

Just for comparison over the last 4 seasons we’ve only had 3 players do it. Sid, Geno, Phil and they’ve done it twice each.

I’m assuming Sid doesn’t score 2 or Hornqvist a hatrick in the last game.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yakupov, my friend. Dude's a 40 goal scorer on this team.
I always hate hearing Yakupov mentioned. Oilers forced that kid into the line-up and then destroyed him. Now people just say "oh well, he's just a selfish flash in the pan..."

Yeah, but again, he was on the Oilers where not every prospect is McDavid. RNH could have been much better too if he wasn't rushed, he was not strong enough for the NHL yet but talented as hell.

What a joke of a franchise that continues to be.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What happened to that kid?

He was once a 60+pt player. Then he backed it up with a 50+pt season and then that was it, never even hit 40pts after.

No heart, no work ethic. The kid was just lazy and had a problem with keeping in shape. I knew (of) the kid all the way back during his junior days. Him and his brother Anthony were the absolute laziest junior players I've ever seen play.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Speaking of scoring, is Sid trying to create his own playoff luck this year by finishing with exactly 87 points?

If he gets a point early watch him become Scuderi and shoot everything “intentionally wide”

Hockey Freak 7

Kris Letang to another team. GOAT CROSBY 4 HART
Apr 1, 2018
Some of us don't share your opinion that Cole was a number six, no matter how many times you say it. I thought he was an integral part of our defense last playoffs, particularly on the PK. I viewed Hainsey similarly. I was glad we had both. I wish we had both now actually.
oooohhhh...

Yes.. this..

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wonder how good Kapanen would be in this system tbh.

I could see him putting up 30.
How much better is this turd nugget of the current system vs what the Leafs are currently doing (better than us btw)?

Kapanen has 9pts in 37 games, a 20pt pace. I mean...this team won't even give Sprong a shot and Sprong is a MUCH better player than Kapanen at that same age and if you don't think so, I hope you have some proof.

Statistically, Sprong is far superior in the AHL in his 1st full year, even his Junior numbers are much better (although its hard to compare since Kap never played in Juniors). That and Sprong won't try to deke through and entire freaking team then get over powered and knocked over, which was KK's biggest problem when he was with us.

So the AHL as a basis of comparison, Sprong is a 0.97PPG, Kapanen is 0.79PPG.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
oooohhhh...

Yes.. this..
Well Ryder71, of course you'd agree.

Cole 2016-17 vs Cole 2017-18 are not the same player with the way they played on the ice. The Pens blue line right now is fine, it's the way they are being coached that is the biggest issue, that and some bad individual play, but as a whole, that shouldn't be as much of a problem as it is for the Pens. The defensive coaching needs to be better, the forwards also half heartedly supporting the defense needs to be better.

Last year, the entire team would play as a unit in the D-zone, support everywhere, they gave up shots, but they would quickly move into the transition game right away and rush up the ice as a 5 man unit. Now it's disconnected, the defense pinches at wrong times, the forwards hover around and get caught either too deep or not covering their man at all and the defense likewise.

You know what problem that is? Coaching. Not the lack of Ian f***ing Cole.

Cole was absolutely horrendous to start the year, then he got into Sullivan's dog house and they both beefed about it. Then he came back and played better, but to blindly ignore the horse shit Cole was to start the year and for the first half, is just flat out f***ing ignorance.

Par for the course.

Now I await my own phrases used against me in some attempt at a retort.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I always hate hearing Yakupov mentioned. Oilers forced that kid into the line-up and then destroyed him. Now people just say "oh well, he's just a selfish flash in the pan..."

Yeah, but again, he was on the Oilers where not every prospect is McDavid. RNH could have been much better too if he wasn't rushed, he was not strong enough for the NHL yet but talented as hell.

What a joke of a franchise that continues to be.

Some people get it, while others parrot ignorance. Well done

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
No heart, no work ethic. The kid was just lazy and had a problem with keeping in shape. I knew (of) the kid all the way back during his junior days. Him and his brother Anthony were the absolute laziest junior players I've ever seen play.

Which makes Byfuglien and Kessel even more impressive. Their svelte elephantine physique not hindering their production.

Reactions: Hank Plank

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That was a really good entertaining hockey game.

The best thing to come out of the game is that Phil has the ability to play at a high level regardless of the injury he is dealing with.

He ate a moldy bun with one of his pre-game hot dogs, he'll be better tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad