Pavel Datsyuk Depreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComradeChris

May 15, 2010
We're not haters... We're not lovers. We're realists. As a neutral fan Datsyuk is leaving the Red Wings with 7.5M in dead cap space that is looking more and more unlikely to be moved.

Unable to move the cap means no Stamkos and they have already decided to let Datsyuk walk instead of fulfill his contract. It will also mean no defense upgrades and a resigning of Darren Helm (who we can all agree is a worse finisher and worse defensively than Draper).

People hated so hard on Fedorov for leaving, but Datsyuk is getting a free pass. That's not right. Datsyuk has hurt the wings way more than Fedorov AINEC. Fedorov was huge in 3 red wings cup runs and left no cap penalty. Datsyuk didn't matter in his first cup... And was really only a factor in the second cup he won. Even then you could say Datsyuk was underwhelming for most games in his playoff career. Hardly close to the game breaker Fedorov was. This could result in the end of a playoff streak, losing out on key free agents, or giving up too valuable of assets.

What could Holland have done to prevent this? It wasn't known Datsyuk was going to leave until after the trade deadline. Could the Red Wings have solved their defensive woes by dealing Datsyuk and Helm then?

What about Holland where does he go in this? He got Datsyuk to sign an extra year on his contract with the purpose of him fulfilling that contract. How is Holland in the wrong and how is Datsyuk getting a free pass? That is besides for Holland being unable to trade Datsyuk + Helm when they had value last year.

Should the wings make Datsyuk honor his contract to start the season and not allow him to play KHL? Then trade him when he vocalizes his unhappiness. Giving up Pulkkinen and a 1st for the caphit should not even be considered. Maybe Jurco and a 2nd most. Pulkkinen has the best shot the wings have seen since Hull and before that Shanahan.

I say make Datsyuk honor his contract and if he wants a trade then trade him. The guy can still play hockey. He just doesn't want to play in North America anymore... And that's a horrible reason to go back on a contract regardless of the circumstances.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Personally, I blame Datsyuk for, at best, not having a trustworthy agent, and not communicating thoroughly during a contract negotiation. (And, at worst, for scamming the Wings out of at least one year of salary cap room, if not several million dollars of a larger contract.)

But I also blame Holland, at least in the sense that, if you have an older player who suddenly is all over the place in terms of commitment (allegedly going from, "I want 5 years" to, "I want to retire after one week of signing my new contract"), it's time to do two things:

1) Hold extended communications to be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN of that player's intentions going forward.

2) If the results of #1 lead to knowledge that this player likely will not remain for the duration of their contract, you start holding internal discussions about trading him ASAP. And depending on what you decide internally, you might start calling other teams.

It was a badly handled situation by both parties, and it's sad to see such a great player end his career this way, but at this point, there's nothing that can undo what's been done, so hopefully something good comes from it going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad