Paul Friesen's indictment of Kevin Cheveldayoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Out 403*

I do see us getting in, yes.

If we had just average goaltending this year, I say we may actually be in now. So if Chevy fixes that, we are in.

It is to early to tell for sure, but his drafting, as I think most of us feel, has been great. Some guys coming up that look like they can fill in the 3rd and 4th lines and 3rd pairing that I think will make us even stronger.

I have faith in Chevy. I think Pavs gets bought out, we make a few moves in the off season, and we are in the playoffs next year, and for years to come.

Pavelec's contract is his fault, but by virtue of us not having an actual starter. Plus, Pavelec did ok in his first year here. Kane's shooting percentage will go up, much like Kadri's unsustainable percentage went down after last season. I don't consider Bogosian being hurt 'regression'. Would you consider Slater's sports hernia surgery regression? He was out for almost the entire season.

Pavelec was a 906 year 1. That's not ok that's far below average and cost us a playoff spot :shakehead

I don't think Bogo being hurt is regression either, but when he was in the line up he wasn't as good as last year. And Kane has, for a 2nd year in a row, dropped in production. Maybe he will bounce back? I'd like to see it. But this roster, in general, has regressed and got worse under Chevy in 3 years. A slow rebuild through the draft is supposed to be just that, slow improvement. We're seeing slow regression. Maybe we suddenly start improving and pull a Toronto Raptors, and I'd love that. But we have only hope and a prayer right now. The hope that young kids we drafted are as good as some experts say.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Pavelec was a 906 year 1. That's not ok that's far below average and cost us a playoff spot :shakehead

I don't think Bogo being hurt is regression either, but when he was in the line up he wasn't as good as last year. And Kane has, for a 2nd year in a row, dropped in production. Maybe he will bounce back? I'd like to see it. But this roster, in general, has regressed and got worse under Chevy in 3 years. A slow rebuild through the draft is supposed to be just that, slow improvement. We're seeing slow regression. Maybe we suddenly start improving and pull a Toronto Raptors, and I'd love that. But we have only hope and a prayer right now. The hope that young kids we drafted are as good as some experts say.

Meanwhile, Wheeler and Little had career years, Ladd produced the same as ever, Frolik is amazing for us, Jokinen increased his production from last year, Buff was no longer a defensive liability as a forward, etc. If we were regressing slowly, everyone would be getting worse, no? Please try to focus on the positives sometimes.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Losing Pardy and Thorburn to unrestricted free agency should be grounds for immediate dismissal.

I love these columns that provide zero analysis, just DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!

Much like the Evander Kane is playing terrible because he's not scoring goals analysis.

Is the bolded sarcasm?

Because neither Pardy or Thorburn are very good hockey players.

ediger

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
hold on a second, who signed these players to long term deals? If were going to praise Chevy for Trouba and Scheifelle, why can't we criticism him for Pavelec Kane and Bogosian regressing? Those are some really easy standards to meet when you're a GM. Praise for players you sign and draft when they do well, and when they don't it's their fault not yours. Sweet gig :)

Seriously? How can you blame a GM for a player regressing? Also, one year. ONE FREAKING YEAR! If they had been regressing each year I'd be concerned, but Kane and Bogo having off seasons in years where they've both dealt with injuries does not concern me in the least. Kane's one of the few guys who busted his ass every shift.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Weak article from Friesen. Basically throwing out stuff completely beyond Chevy's control to highlight his shortcomings as a GM. It's about time we got an article on this subject from the MSM, just too bad that it's a useless fluff piece.

I can break down my grievances with Chevy in three parts:

1. The goaltending situation he's got us in.

Pretty self-explanatory. The P****** contract is in the running for one of the worst contracts in the NHL.

2. Not dismissing Noel earlier.

There really was no reason for Noel to be kept around into January. I thought he should have been given his walking papers in November, when the Jets were below fake .500 despite having played the softest part of their schedule. Props to him for hiring (what appears to be) a capable replacement in Maurice, but I can't help but think the Jets could have taken a real run at the playoffs with PoMo behind the bench for most of the year.

3. Not making an aggressive move this past summer and onwards.

First year an evaluation year? Fine, I can understand that. Second year and no real activity? Ok, it was a lockout year, might as well take your chances with this current roster.

Last offseason was the time to make some kind of drastic move with this team. The obvious ones would have been to fire Noel or buy out Pavelec. Trading someone like Byfuglien would have been a riskier decision, but it might have paid dividends.

Instead, he basically went with the status quo plus a few token additions (Frolik and Setoguchi), somehow thinking that would have been enough to get us into the playoffs. Can you imagine how ****** this year would have been if Scheifele and Trouba didn't emerge?

Making a bold move this summer would be great, but AFAIC the damage has already been done. He's wasted a year of outstanding production from guys like Little and Wheeler, who knows if they'll ever top those numbers again. Guys like Ladd, Enstrom and Buff all had very strong seasons, but again, they may start declining as early as next year.

Chevy has set us up in a decent position for the future, but there's no excuse for the Jets to have been in a holding pattern this year.

arby18

Jun 12, 2010
Umm.. This article is bang on guys. He's just saying that Chevy has only drafted well as a gm and failed to demonstrate team building any other way. That's a recipe for mediocrity. Proof is in the results. In a NHL cap world with parity never before witnessed were 3 years running and no playoffs. And be honest. Be really honest. Do you see us getting in next season?

As the roster currently sits, no chance.

Who are the Jets better than in the Central? Chicago and St. Louis are elite. Colorado is playing at an unsustainable level this year, but they're poised to be solid going forward. Minnesota and Dallas are better than the Jets, too. Phoenix, Nashville and Winnipeg are on the same level I suppose, but two of those teams have elite goaltending...

That leaves the Jets grinding out for Wild Card spot at best. Major changes are required, as things won't be getting any easier.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree that Chevy has, so far, been a 1-dimensional GM: He's drafted well. He hasn't done much of anything else with any success. If, outside of drafting, the best move the GM has made in 3 years is trading for Frolik, then I think there are some legitimate questions to be asked about his competence.

However, slamming Chevy for not getting anything from our pending UFAs at the trade deadline is ridiculous. There's no playoff team out there saying "We're just one Olli Jokinen away from the Cup!"

arby18

Jun 12, 2010
I agree that Chevy has, so far, been a 1-dimensional GM: He's drafted well. He hasn't done much of anything else with any success. If, outside of drafting, the best move the GM has made in 3 years is trading for Frolik, then I think there are some legitimate questions to be asked about his competence.

However, slamming Chevy for not getting anything from our pending UFAs at the trade deadline is ridiculous. There's no playoff team out there saying "We're just one Olli Jokinen away from the Cup!"

While I agree with the bolded, the Penguins thought that they could use a Lee Stempniak and a Marcel Goc. Both netted at least 3rd round picks, with Goc also netting a 5th. The Bruins gave up a 3rd to get Andrej Meszaros. While none of those guys will lead either of those teams to a Cup, I have a hard time thinking that they couldn't have used a guy like Olli for depth, as one of those two teams is likely to come out of the East.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Weak article from Friesen. Basically throwing out stuff completely beyond Chevy's control to highlight his shortcomings as a GM. It's about time we got an article on this subject from the MSM, just too bad that it's a useless fluff piece.

I can break down my grievances with Chevy in three parts:

1. The goaltending situation he's got us in.

Pretty self-explanatory. The P****** contract is in the running for one of the worst contracts in the NHL.

2. Not dismissing Noel earlier.

There really was no reason for Noel to be kept around into January. I thought he should have been given his walking papers in November, when the Jets were below fake .500 despite having played the softest part of their schedule. Props to him for hiring (what appears to be) a capable replacement in Maurice, but I can't help but think the Jets could have taken a real run at the playoffs with PoMo behind the bench for most of the year.

3. Not making an aggressive move this past summer and onwards.

First year an evaluation year? Fine, I can understand that. Second year and no real activity? Ok, it was a lockout year, might as well take your chances with this current roster.

Last offseason was the time to make some kind of drastic move with this team. The obvious ones would have been to fire Noel or buy out Pavelec. Trading someone like Byfuglien would have been a riskier decision, but it might have paid dividends.

Instead, he basically went with the status quo plus a few token additions (Frolik and Setoguchi), somehow thinking that would have been enough to get us into the playoffs. Can you imagine how ****** this year would have been if Scheifele and Trouba didn't emerge?

Making a bold move this summer would be great, but AFAIC the damage has already been done. He's wasted a year of outstanding production from guys like Little and Wheeler, who knows if they'll ever top those numbers again. Guys like Ladd, Enstrom and Buff all had very strong seasons, but again, they may start declining as early as next year.

Chevy has set us up in a decent position for the future, but there's no excuse for the Jets to have been in a holding pattern this year.

Very valid points, Hank. All in all, this summer better bring so roster change and additions to improve this group. If not... well, that will be pretty darn unfortunate as far as I am concerned. I said the other day, a few roster moves (forward depth, top 4 LH defenceman, goalie) and this group is likely a playoff team a year from now, I do not doubt that for a second. That is how close I believe we are.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't really see what was wrong with his article. He pretty much says everything most people on this board have been talking about for the last half season:

Goaltending needs to be addressed.
He didn't do anything at the trade deadline to either help the team or gain assets by trading pending UFAs.
He has been drafting well with Scheifele, Trouba, Hellebuyck and Morrissey.
He points out that Bogosian and Kane have had poor years, but he doesn't specifically blame that on Chevy.

And at the end he points out that maybe a couple of moves could have helped the Jets make the playoffs. What if he got a new goalie last year? That one move could have put us in the playoffs.

I don't know what people are criticizing this article? Maybe because they don't like Paul Friesen?

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
... (everything I said) ...

Nailed it.

arby18 said:
Who are the Jets better than in the Central? Chicago and St. Louis are elite. Colorado is playing at an unsustainable level this year, but they're poised to be solid going forward. Minnesota and Dallas are better than the Jets, too. Phoenix, Nashville and Winnipeg are on the same level I suppose, but two of those teams have elite goaltending...

That leaves the Jets grinding out for Wild Card spot at best.

That's a great question. I agree - we're in no position to challenge Chicago or St Louis, and barring some miracle we're probably grinding for the wild card next year.

There ain't much we can do about that. We'll have to set realistic goals. Making it to round 1 of the playoffs next year, and having a gutsy performance is probably as good as it will get. Still, that's progress.

Phoenix is in the Pacific btw - unless you were just mentioning them as a WC contender.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Umm.. This article is bang on guys. He's just saying that Chevy has only drafted well as a gm and failed to demonstrate team building any other way. That's a recipe for mediocrity. Proof is in the results. In a NHL cap world with parity never before witnessed were 3 years running and no playoffs. And be honest. Be really honest. Do you see us getting in next season?

Yes, I agree with much of this as well. Chevy really has to step up to the plate and do a heck of a lot more than draft to make this a club. His record on goaltending in itself has been the anchor that has dragged us to the level of mediocrity we are - how can you sit idly by and watch a crappy starter like we have and not make one move other than drafting.

And hes right too about all the UFAs -- just letting them walk away without a care. When you trade for a guy like Gooch and he's had a horrible year, at least get something, anything for him at the deadline. I don't care what message your sending to the rest of the guys, letting UFAs walk year after year is a huge drain to the depth of this club.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Nailed it.

That's a great question. I agree - we're in no position to challenge Chicago or St Louis, and barring some miracle we're probably grinding for the wild card next year.

There ain't much we can do about that. We'll have to set realistic goals. Making it to round 1 of the playoffs next year, and having a gutsy performance is probably as good as it will get. Still, that's progress.

Phoenix is in the Pacific btw - unless you were just mentioning them as a WC contender.

Agree with that. Minnesota's been collecting solid prospects who are starting to make an impact in the NHL and tossing money around like PacMan on a bye week in Vegas, they are still 10 points behind the top 3.

There's not much a team can do in a couple off-seasons to jump from where the Jets are currently to 110 points.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
As the roster currently sits, no chance.

That leaves the Jets grinding out for Wild Card spot at best. Major changes are required, as things won't be getting any easier.

GEEZ. I realize its been three years with no playoffs and I'm not happy with the lack of progress that some players are making, but since Maurice has taken over and brought real structure I really do see us as a playoff team. That is, of course, if we fix our goal-tending situation - and if Chevy is too thick-headed to do anything about Pavs this summer, I'll erupt.

Assuming we do that one relatively easy fix, get a half decent UFa and Hutch/Pasq as back-ups, Burmi back as 3C, ......yes for sure we are better than a lot of those teams you mention. Heck we were almost there this year in spite of having bumbling Noel for way too long and useless P****** for 80% of the fricken games.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I don't really see what was wrong with his article. He pretty much says everything most people on this board have been talking about for the last half season:

Goaltending needs to be addressed.
He didn't do anything at the trade deadline to either help the team or gain assets by trading pending UFAs.
He has been drafting well with Scheifele, Trouba, Hellebuyck and Morrissey.
He points out that Bogosian and Kane have had poor years, but he doesn't specifically blame that on Chevy.

And at the end he points out that maybe a couple of moves could have helped the Jets make the playoffs. What if he got a new goalie last year? That one move could have put us in the playoffs.

I don't know what people are criticizing this article? Maybe because they don't like Paul Friesen?

I'm getting the same vibes too - maybe he wasn't right in everything he says, but hes not know-it-all Lawless defending management no matter what.

One line in there was a head scratcher. What is he talking about when he says??.......We don’t have to remind you the former hard-nosed defenceman from small-town Saskatchewan chose not to drop his gloves at the March trade deadline, resulting in yet another Jets swoon from playoff contention.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm getting the same vibes too - maybe he wasn't right in everything he says, but hes not know-it-all Lawless defending management no matter what.

One line in there was a head scratcher. What is he talking about when he says??.......We don’t have to remind you the former hard-nosed defenceman from small-town Saskatchewan chose not to drop his gloves at the March trade deadline, resulting in yet another Jets swoon from playoff contention.

He's describing Cheveldayoff.

White Out 403*

Nothing personal, but it pretty much auto-invalidates any otherwise meaningful point you're going to make, when you begin by quoting a 260-pound, double-chinned man with a best-selling diet book.

Nothing personal taken. Anyone who argues with fallacies likely can't win a debate on merit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad