Prospect Info: Paul Fischer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

Wanted to Make a Separate thread to discuss our newest prospect without having any 86/55 Discussion included.

Looking at him on first glance, He's a LD Dman with good Size (6'1 201) and played last season with the Univ of Notre Dame were he put up a very respectable 16 points in 34 games and was 10th on the team in scoring and 3rd on the D core, with both guys ahead of him moving on.

I also see he is from Chicago so i wonder if there is a connection with Stan Bowman

Instantly moves ahead of Yevseyev as our best LD prospect IMO.

WHAT OTHERS SAY ABOUT PAUL FISCHER

Jim Bay of the Hockey Writers:

He is tough in his own end and has no problem using his body to block shots and pin attackers along the boards. He will also no doubt add some weight and muscle to his frame as he matures, which will further help him develop into a player that NHL teams can count on.
David Ciss of Sports Illustrated:

Fischer is a strong and mobile defenceman with offensive upside. His skating abilities are a major aspect of his game and he has the potential to become an elite skater at the next level. Fischer can walk the blue line perfectly with his great edges and power.
Both Jim Bay and David Ciss also noted Fischer’s strong and accurate wrist shot as a positive aspect of his game.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
He was at the WJC Summer Showcase for Team USA, so on the radar for the event in December.

Scott Wheeler had him ranked as the Blues 8th best prospect in his 2024 rankings, prior to the 2024 draft.

Fischer’s a player who started off strong with the national program and generated some second-round consideration early on last year on a USA blue line that took some time to sort out its roles and top players. As the year progressed, though, I just caught myself a little uninspired by his game and left a couple too many viewings without notes about him that weren’t bland in tone. He still played 18 minutes in the gold medal game at U18 worlds when the chips were on the table, fourth among the national program’s seven defensemen, though, and proved a supportive partner for an active partner in Zeev Buium, adjusting the way he played coming up. Though he was one of the final cuts for my top 100 ahead of the draft, he has played in line with his fifth-round selection (No. 138) as a freshman at Notre Dame, producing at a respectable half-a-point-per-game and playing top-four minutes (about 19 a night) to good two-way results for a teenaged D.

He’s a good player. I expect he’ll become a signable college defenseman, too. I’m just not sure what his game will look like beyond that. He’s fine to above average at everything and sometimes those guys make it. He plays a heady, controlled game. There’s some offense there that should continue to come out. I could see him as a PP1 guy as a junior or senior at Notre Dame, and maybe he makes it as a No. 6/7 type with the right development. I think he has realized that while he plays a comfortable game with the puck, he’s not going to be a PP guy up levels like he may have thought when he was a top player in minor hockey. The adjustments he has made to his game over the last couple of years have been positive and might give him a better chance.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Solid gamble where we were handed the chips for free. Coins if slot machine.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
An elite skater that’s actually physical sounds nice.

Sounds like he has a good mindset and style to maybe be a pro. We don’t need every dman to score a ton of points, just be comfortable enough with the puck where you’re not treating it like a live grenade. Sounds like defending and being physical aren’t an alien concept to him, unlike other prospects we’ve had that had to try to learn these basics in the NHL.

Sounds like he’s about to get a bigger role on his team, this could be good from a trade perspective if he pumps up his value.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It's refreshing that in the last few deals we have had players added that actually appear to have some redeeming qualities at minimum, and actual potential at best.

Fingers crossed that pro scouting is actually effective now and actually in a position to pay dividends.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Fischer played with a pretty stacked USNTDP class(Will Smith, Ryan Leonard, Gabe Perrault, Oliver Moore and like 6 other guys that went in the top 50 picks), so makes sense that he was well scouted.

He sounds like your prototypical new-age defensive defenseman. Super mobile, aggressive gap work and enough puck skills to get the puck out. Seems like an intriguing add.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The question we should be asking is will this kid be signing with the Oilers once he's done college?

Reactions: McHelpus

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Wanted to Make a Separate thread to discuss our newest prospect without having any 86/55 Discussion included.

Looking at him on first glance, He's a LD Dman with good Size (6'1 201) and played last season with the Univ of Notre Dame were he put up a very respectable 16 points in 34 games and was 10th on the team in scoring and 3rd on the D core, with both guys ahead of him moving on.

I also see he is from Chicago so i wonder if there is a connection with Stan Bowman

Instantly moves ahead of Yevseyev as our best LD prospect IMO.

WHAT OTHERS SAY ABOUT PAUL FISCHER

Jim Bay of the Hockey Writers:

David Ciss of Sports Illustrated:

Both Jim Bay and David Ciss also noted Fischer’s strong and accurate wrist shot as a positive aspect of his game.
Very happy with this trade at least. Seen the kid play a couple times. Really stands out in a positive way. He'll be on the USA WJC team

During his draft year, he was suppose to go early 2nd round I believe. But he was injured during the season.

Am I right in that? I thought I heard Bowman say that in the press conference

Reactions: Giggleplex

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
The question we should be asking is will this kid be signing with the Oilers once he's done college?
If veteran UFAs are coming here to sign on discounts to play with McDavid and Drai, I'm pretty sure this kid, although on D, would love for a chance to play here.

Reactions: Canovin

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Very happy with this trade at least. Seen the kid play a couple times. Really stands out in a positive way. He'll be on the USA WJC team

During his draft year, he was suppose to go early 2nd round I believe. But he was injured during the season.

Am I right in that? I thought I heard Bowman say that in the press conference
It doesn't look like he missed many games.

I'd guess the main thing working against him is he didn't get a whole lot of primo minutes with Cole Hutson and Zeev Buium on that team.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
He might be our best LHD prospect right now.
Yevseyev is probably ahead, think he had some conflict with his team last season so was sent down but the year before he was a KHL regular at 18 which is pretty impressive and imo puts him ahead of Fischer at this point.
Hopefully all issues are resolved and he can get back to getting KHL minutes this year. Always difficult to know if russians are coming over but his contract runs out this spring so here's to hoping.

Outside of these two, and they aren't exactly surefire prospects, there’s a real lack of LD in the system. The only other one is Bauer Berry and he feels like a real longshot.

Reactions: Giggleplex

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Only 19, Blues fans seem to like him. Getting anything back in addition to the regular OS compensation was a bonus so a 3rd and a not nothing prospect is a nice little deal for the Oilers.

I think a concern is him being American and not signing when it's time so I wouldn't get too attached if he does pan out in college.

Reactions: Thomas Tatar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad