Paul Coffey

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I think he deserves his own thread, what a remarkable job he did and the D played better than I've ever seen on this team. Makes me wonder though, is he coming back, was this just a 1 year deal? A lot of bs articles out there but one said he had no interest in coaching this season.

When they hired him I was like oh here we go again with the old boys club but was I ever surprised! I sure hope he comes back because he will be really tough to replace.

Last edited:

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I think he deserves his own thread, what a remarkable job he did and the D played better than I've ever seen on this team. Makes me wonder though, is he coming back, was this just a 1 year deal? A lot of bs articles out there but one said he had no interest in coaching this season.

When they hired him I was like oh here we go again with the old boys club but was I ever surprised! I sure hope he comes back because he will be really tough to replace.
Everyone including myself was going are you ****ing kidding me? What kind of nepotistic garbage is this? Though I was willing to give him a chance (Huddy was a defence whisperer as well) it was way more likely this would fail miserably. Never doubted Knob because I knew he was a new wave coach which this team was craving. (Woody was close but still pretty old school learning under TMac) But Coffey I was luke warm on for sure. Turned out to be the best move we have made since punting Eakins. Who would have thought the guy who was the first to leave of the OBC would be the saviour in the end when the others moved on? Great hire would highly recommend again :laugh:

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I was livid with this hire, so disappointed in the team. Ooops, my bad. Really hope he stays, maybe find a young d coach that he can mentor too as I dint imagine this is long term for him.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I think in general the coaching staff with Knob and Coffey removed some handcuffs that Woody was putting on the group with his failing rigid zone defense system, and maybe his rigid man on man defensive system the year before. Can't imagine how frustrating it would be to play a bad system that sets you up to fail, and you predictably fail, and the feedback you get is a montage of all your mistakes, perfectly edited by our expert video maker coach. Confidence was being destroyed, and Coffey really helped guys get it back, encouraging them to open up and make plays.

In the end, no amount of coaching was going to fully insulate us from the bottom 2 D pairs, which played a big part in creating our 0-3 hole that turned out to be insurmountable, and extending the 2nd round far longer than it needed to be. We still need real D upgrades. Coffey probably wants to go back to a manager type role in the org, maybe he can find us another Wyatt Johnston :)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I thought the team was pretty clear when he first went behind the bench that it was on an interim basis only implying that it would only be until the end of the season. He’s more than earned that job if he wants it but I suspect he doesn’t. Let’s not forget, the early rumours that called Woodcroft and Manson’s firing and exactly when it would happen also said Coffey would be replacing Holland as GM. Until Jackson hires somebody else to replace Holland, I’m going to wonder if that’s the job Coffey is aiming for.

Reactions: elmeroil

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
wonder what happened to old Nursey boy though

In the end you are what you are. He gave these guys confidence back to just play, but ultimately the players are what they are. And up to the head coach to implement a system to play to the strengths of the players. Was very important this year for all our players to get confidence back after the disastrous start and a head coach looking completely lost. Coffey played his part. Still need better players though.

Reactions: elmeroil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad