Patrik Laine

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I can't say tell you with certainty what happened to his goal scoring since I've never been a big fan or followed him that closely, but I assume the Fortnight addiction he developed and injury problems he's had adversely impacted his career.

Additionally, he was a very streaky scorer that year he had 18 goals in November. I remember I made a thread about how he had three goals in October, 18 in November and three in December. I think at that point in his career, he tried be like Brett Hull (primarily focused on finding openings to get his shot off) but was much less effective than Brett and lacked goal scoring consistency. If I remember correctly, he then had a season where he had more assists than goals and there was talk he was playing a better two-way game. Maybe he tried to re-invent himself as a player. Since then, he's really been hampered by injuries. I remember he had a hot stretch with CLB where he was very good three seasons ago.

Last edited:

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
Laine's been short circuited by injuries. When healthy he's generally played at a PPG pace. That said, he's never really hit the goal scoring heights most expected of him. Maybe a better all-around scorer than he's been given credit for, but not as good a goal scorer. Kind of reminds me of Phil Kessel in that regards.
yes hes had injuries but they were never career ending or career altering injuries, so im just trying to find out why he fell off and never got back to that level of playing. Even if wasnt hurt and played every game of his career theres not one season he was on pace for 40 or more goals except his first season he was on pace for 40 goals in 82 games and his second season he got 44 goals in 82 games, then he fell off and the closest he ever got to being on pace for 40 or more goals was 2021-2022 he was on pace for 38 goals in 82 games.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think he really focused on trying to be a complete player when in reality what he should focus on is just putting the puck in the net.

It seems that he's obsessed with trying to carry the puck in transition and make passing plays to set up other players. He even tried playing center last season in Columbus.

When he does shoot the puck, you can see that his wrist shot and one timer are still elite. Instead of being a well rounded player, I think he needs a coach who tells him it's okay to set up on the left circle and just fire the puck when it comes to him.

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
I can't say tell you with certainty what happened to his goal scoring since I've never been a big fan or followed him that closely, but I assume the Fortnight addiction he developed and injury problems he's had adversely impacted his career.

Additionally, he was a very streaky scorer that year he had 18 goals in November. I remember I made a thread about how he had three goals in October, 18 in November and three in December. I think at that point in his career, he tried be like Brett Hull (primarily focused on finding openings to get his shot off) but was much less effective than Brett and lacked goal scoring consistency. If I remember correctly, he then had a season where he had more assists than goals and there was talk he was playing a better two-way game. Maybe he tried to re-invent himself as a player. Since then, he's really been hampered by injuries. I remember he had a hot stretch with CLB where he was very good three seasons ago.
whats up with the fortnite addiction and how did that affect his playing? And yes hes had injuries but they were never career ending or career altering injuries, also him primarily focused on finding openings to get his shot off is probably because hes not fast.

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
I think he really focused on trying to be a complete player when in reality what he should focus on is just putting the puck in the net.

It seems that he's obsessed with trying to carry the puck in transition and make passing plays to set up other players. He even tried playing center last season in Columbus.

When he does shoot the puck, you can see that his wrist shot and one timer are still elite. Instead of being a well rounded player, I think he needs a coach who tells him it's okay to set up on the left circle and just fire the puck when it comes to him.
Thats a good point "When he does shoot the puck, you can see that his wrist shot and one timer are still elite. Instead of being a well rounded player, I think he needs a coach who tells him it's okay to set up on the left circle and just fire the puck when it comes to him."

"I think he really focused on trying to be a complete player when in reality what he should focus on is just putting the puck in the net.
It seems that he's obsessed with trying to carry the puck in transition and make passing plays to set up other players. He even tried playing center last season in Columbus." him trying to focus on being a complete player and start trying to set up players and wanting to be a center doesnt make sense because what he was doing was working so why would he feel the need to change, I dont think thats the reason but it could be tho. He was a goal scorer winger and the main thing he had was his shot and some good hands thats it, hes not fast.

He *was* one dimensional player. Last two years he was solid all round player. He has taken big steps compared to what he was first years in the Jets.
Well its not working cause he still hasn't got back the level of play he had his first 2 seasons

He *was* one dimensional player. Last two years he was solid all round player. He has taken big steps compared to what he was first years in the Jets.
Well its not working cause he still hasn't got back the level of play he had his first 2 seasons

We had thread just last week.
what?

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
whats up with the fortnite addiction and how did that affect his playing? And yes hes had injuries but they were never career ending or career altering injuries, also him primarily focused on finding openings to get his shot off is probably because hes not fast.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024

His fall off was not because of his fortnite addiction, also in the one called "Winnipeg Jets Paul Maurice Helping Patrik Laine Through Fortnite Trouble" it says "laine took his first day off fortnite novemeber 18 and since then had 11 goals in 4 games" but that dosent explain afterwards, if he stop playing fortnite november 18th and the scored the 11 goals in 4 games then why after the end of november till the end of the season did he continue to score bad he had just 18 goals in the month of november thats more than half the amount of goals he had the whole season and he only had 30 goals that season. the rest of the goals he sscored were 3 of them coming October before he stopped playing fortnite and then rest of the goals he got after he stopped playing fortnite were just 3 in just in the month of december, 1 in january, 4 in feburary, 1 in march, and 0 in april and hasnt been able to get back to that level of play from his first two seasons after the first two seasons except for his hot streak he had in november.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
It didn't impact him, before the hit if we include the game he got hit he had 21 goals in 42 games which put him on pace for 41 goals in 82 games and and the rest of the games he played he had 15 goals in 31 games which puts him on pace for 39 goals in 82 games and if we dont include the game he gets hit that gives him 21 goals in 41 games which put him on pace for 42 goals in 82 games and then for the rest of the games he played 15 goals in 31 games which put him on pace for 39 goals in 82 games. The numbers he put up that season 36 goals in 73 games puts him on pace for 40 goals and if we dont include the game he got hit its 36 goals in 72 games which puts him on pace 41 goals in in 82 games, and taking away the game matters because although he played that game he still had 14 minutes left to play were he could have scored one goal or more but he didnt get the chance because he left after the hit and since he didnt get to play the full game im removing it so it doesnt count against him since he didnt get the full game to try and score one goal or more. So he was on pace to put to up almost the same amount goals before the hit (21 goals 42 games on pace for 41 goals in 82 games thats including the game he got hit, not including the game he got hit 21 goals 41 games on pace for 42 goals in 82 games) , after the hit (15 goals 31 games on pace for 39 goals in 82 games thats including the game he got hit, not including the game he got hit 15 goals 31 games on pace for 39 goals in 82 games), and the pace he was on based off the numbers he did put up during the season (36 goals in 73 games on pace for 40 goals in 82 games including the game he got hit and 36 goals 72 games on pace 41 goals in 82 games not including the game he got hit) so his play afterwards was not impacted by the hit. Also he put 44 goals in 82 games so he put up about the same amount goals he was on pace to put the last season before the hit (21 goals 42 games on pace for 41 goals in 82 games thats including the game he got hit, not including the game he got hit 21 goals 41 games on pace for 42 goals in 82 games) , after the hit (15 goals 31 games on pace for 39 goals in 82 games thats including the game he got hit, not including the game he got hit 15 goals 31 games on pace for 39 goals in 82 games), and the pace he was on based off the numbers he did put up during the season (36 goals in 73 games on pace for 40 goals in 82 games including the game he got hit and 36 goals 72 games on pace 41 goals in 82 games not including the game he got hit) so the hit didn't impact his play the next season.

(when i say including the game he got hit I mean the games all the games to when he got hit and including that game and then after the hit when i say including the game he got im just saying it so you know which one is which. Then when i say not including the game he got hit i mean every game up till the game he got hit and we take the whole game away he got hit as if he didn't play it, then after the hit when i say including the game he got im just saying it so you know which one is which),

Since it wasn't the hit that impacted him do you know if theres another reason he fell off?
guy, i cannot read that at all. please use paragraphs. i’m a professional editor and tutor, please let me know if i can help!

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
guy, i cannot read that at all. please use paragraphs. i’m a professional editor and tutor, please let me know if i can help!
It didn't impact him, before the hit if we include the game he got hit he had 21 goals in 42 games which put him on pace for 41 goals in 82 games and and the rest of the games he played he had 15 goals in 31 games which puts him on pace for 39 goals in 82 games and if we dont include the game he gets hit that gives him 21 goals in 41 games which put him on pace for 42 goals in 82 games and then for the rest of the games he played 15 goals in 31 games which put him on pace for 39 goals in 82 games. The numbers he put up that season 36 goals in 73 games puts him on pace for 40 goals and if we dont include the game he got hit its 36 goals in 72 games which puts him on pace 41 goals in in 82 games, and taking away the game matters because although he played that game he still had 14 minutes left to play were he could have scored one goal or more but he didnt get the chance because he left after the hit and since he didnt get to play the full game im removing it so it doesnt count against him since he didnt get the full game to try and score one goal or more.

So he was on pace to put to up almost the same amount goals before the hit (21 goals 42 games on pace for 41 goals in 82 games thats including the game he got hit, not including the game he got hit 21 goals 41 games on pace for 42 goals in 82 games) , after the hit (15 goals 31 games on pace for 39 goals in 82 games thats including the game he got hit, not including the game he got hit 15 goals 31 games on pace for 39 goals in 82 games), and the pace he was on based off the numbers he did put up during the season (36 goals in 73 games on pace for 40 goals in 82 games including the game he got hit and 36 goals 72 games on pace 41 goals in 82 games not including the game he got hit) so his play afterwards was not impacted by the hit.

Also he put 44 goals in 82 games so he put up about the same amount goals he was on pace to put the last season before the hit (21 goals 42 games on pace for 41 goals in 82 games thats including the game he got hit, not including the game he got hit 21 goals 41 games on pace for 42 goals in 82 games) , after the hit (15 goals 31 games on pace for 39 goals in 82 games thats including the game he got hit, not including the game he got hit 15 goals 31 games on pace for 39 goals in 82 games), and the pace he was on based off the numbers he did put up during the season (36 goals in 73 games on pace for 40 goals in 82 games including the game he got hit and 36 goals 72 games on pace 41 goals in 82 games not including the game he got hit) so the hit didn't impact his play the next season.

(when i say including the game he got hit I mean the games all the games to when he got hit and including that game and then after the hit when i say including the game he got im just saying it so you know which one is which. Then when i say not including the game he got hit i mean every game up till the game he got hit and we take the whole game away he got hit as if he didn't play it, then after the hit when i say including the game he got im just saying it so you know which one is which)

Since it wasn't the hit that impacted him do you know if theres another reason he fell off?

Last edited:

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
The consensus on the Jets board was that after that hit he was less likely to put himself in a position to get hit. He looked like he lost confidence. But, this is just the general eye test of us back then, and it was a while ago. Laine was always prone to keeping his head down, making big slow wide stick handling moves at the blue line, and taking too long to make a pass (though his passing speed and accuracy was excellent). Those are pretty big issues for an offensive star. His recent knee injury is because he put himself in a bad position coming across the blue line.

He’s also had shoulder and hip issues and this may have affected his generational slapshot and one time abilities. He always had an awkward shooting stance (looked like to me anyways), so that could be a reason we stopped seeing him score like that like he did in WPG.

The mental health issues are also in there. I don’t think that Fortnite was a serious contributor but he would not be the first young man to believe he’s invincible and that 3 hours of sleep are enough. I’d point more to depression/anxiety as a factor.

But it may be that only Patty knows for sure. Or maybe some Columbus fans can chime in.

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
The consensus on the Jets board was that after that hit he was less likely to put himself in a position to get hit. He looked like he lost confidence. But, this is just the general eye test of us back then, and it was a while ago. Laine was always prone to keeping his head down, making big slow wide stick handling moves at the blue line, and taking too long to make a pass (though his passing speed and accuracy was excellent). Those are pretty big issues for an offensive star. His recent knee injury is because he put himself in a bad position coming across the blue line.

He’s also had shoulder and hip issues and this may have affected his generational slapshot and one time abilities. He always had an awkward shooting stance (looked like to me anyways), so that could be a reason we stopped seeing him score like that like he did in WPG.

The mental health issues are also in there. I don’t think that Fortnite was a serious contributor but he would not be the first young man to believe he’s invincible and that 3 hours of sleep are enough. I’d point more to depression/anxiety as a factor.

But it may be that only Patty knows for sure. Or maybe some Columbus fans can chime in.
I dont think "that after that hit he was less likely to put himself in a position to get hit. He looked like he lost confidence" because after the hit his number werent affected that much, numbers shown in the reply i made. I know you said eye test but he was still scoring goals the same way if you watched any of the goals he scored after the game he was hit.

Below are the numbers from the reply i made

The hit didnt impact him, before the hit if we include the game he got hit he had 21 goals in 42 games which put him on pace for 41 goals in 82 games and and the rest of the games he played he had 15 goals in 31 games which puts him on pace for 39 goals in 82 games and if we dont include the game he gets hit that gives him 21 goals in 41 games which put him on pace for 42 goals in 82 games and then for the rest of the games he played 15 goals in 31 games which put him on pace for 39 goals in 82 games. The numbers he put up that season 36 goals in 73 games puts him on pace for 40 goals and if we dont include the game he got hit its 36 goals in 72 games which puts him on pace 41 goals in in 82 games, and taking away the game matters because although he played that game he still had 14 minutes left to play were he could have scored one goal or more but he didnt get the chance because he left after the hit and since he didnt get to play the full game im removing it so it doesnt count against him since he didnt get the full game to try and score one goal or more.

So he was on pace to put to up almost the same amount goals before the hit (21 goals 42 games on pace for 41 goals in 82 games thats including the game he got hit, not including the game he got hit 21 goals 41 games on pace for 42 goals in 82 games) , after the hit (15 goals 31 games on pace for 39 goals in 82 games thats including the game he got hit, not including the game he got hit 15 goals 31 games on pace for 39 goals in 82 games), and the pace he was on based off the numbers he did put up during the season (36 goals in 73 games on pace for 40 goals in 82 games including the game he got hit and 36 goals 72 games on pace 41 goals in 82 games not including the game he got hit) so his play afterwards was not impacted by the hit.

Also he put 44 goals in 82 games so he put up about the same amount goals he was on pace to put the last season before the hit (21 goals 42 games on pace for 41 goals in 82 games thats including the game he got hit, not including the game he got hit 21 goals 41 games on pace for 42 goals in 82 games) , after the hit (15 goals 31 games on pace for 39 goals in 82 games thats including the game he got hit, not including the game he got hit 15 goals 31 games on pace for 39 goals in 82 games), and the pace he was on based off the numbers he did put up during the season (36 goals in 73 games on pace for 40 goals in 82 games including the game he got hit and 36 goals 72 games on pace 41 goals in 82 games not including the game he got hit) so the hit didn't impact his play the next season.

(when i say including the game he got hit I mean the games all the games to when he got hit and including that game and then after the hit when i say including the game he got im just saying it so you know which one is which. Then when i say not including the game he got hit i mean every game up till the game he got hit and we take the whole game away he got hit as if he didn't play it, then after the hit when i say including the game he got im just saying it so you know which one is which),

Last edited:

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Well then i don’t know what to tell ya. I suggest you go through all his games played to date, and then maybe YOU can explain it to US!

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
It's really not rocket science. The PP goals haven't been there.

He's the type of player who can shine in singular moments, but let's be honest, overall he's never been great at even strength and I don't care what numbers you throw at me. He needs the PP production to pump up those goal totals - as well as boost his confidence.

That's where he should be lethal with his shot, and for whatever reason it just hasn't worked. He had more PP goals in a season and a half through 17-19 than he's had in the last 5 years combined.

Hopefully he'll return to form on the PP with the Habs.

Reactions: Jedub

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
If you ask a MTL fan...

"Nothing is wrong with Laine. He's on pace for 40 goals. He's here now, hoping for a fresh start with a storied franchise, and he's going to help the top 6 in major ways."

Imgoingtowork

I understood english and hockey
Apr 15, 2024
Sweden
This season 35+ goals in 82 games?

If Laine is injured right now Laine did 15+ goals and 30+ assists in 61 games?

Otherwise Caufield is main scoring machine in Canadiens everyone believe this?

Last edited:

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Crazy thing is in his third season he was primed to win the Rocket. He had a 5 goal game and 17 goals in the month of November. Starting in December he totally disappeared and has never been the same since.
That's crazy. I just looked it up and that season he scored 3 goals in October, 18 in November, 3 in December, 1 in January, 4 in February and then 1 total in March and April.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg

He's the type of player who can shine in singular moments, but let's be honest, overall he's never been great at even strength and I don't care what numbers you throw at me. He needs the PP production to pump up those goal totals - as well as boost his confidence.

That's where he should be lethal with his shot, and for whatever reason it just hasn't worked. He had more PP goals in a season and a half through 17-19 than he's had in the last 5 years combined.

This makes me wonder if his shot has been affected by injury over the years.

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024

Yes the powerplay helped him get goal production but it wasnt a vital role, his first season 36 goals 73 games only 9 of them were powerplay, the next 2 seasons you have a point 44 goals in 82 games and 20 of them were power play goals thats almost half and then the season after that 30 goals in 82 games and 15 of them were powerplay goals thats half of them for those 2 season it was a vital role, but every season after that it wasnt a vital role.

Look all the powerplay goal totals for every season except for 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 and you will see he didnt realy on the powerplay to get gola production

Season
Team

GP

G

A

P

+/-

PIM

PPG

PPP

SHG

SHP

TOI/G

GWG

OTG

S

S%

FO%
2016-17Winnipeg Jets73362864+7269140017:555120417.70.0
2017-18Winnipeg Jets82442670+82420310016:298024118.325.6
2018-19Winnipeg Jets82302050-244215230017:143024512.236.7
2019-20Winnipeg Jets68283563+8228160019:251022612.437.0
2020-21Winnipeg Jets1213+14010016:2011366.750.0
2020-21Columbus Blue Jackets45101121-2921460017:28007912.721.7
2021-22Columbus Blue Jackets56263056-7245140018:507316715.636.8
2022-23Columbus Blue Jackets55223052-12168160019:071018412.035.0
2023-24Columbus Blue Jackets18639-106120015:13004114.638.0
Career480204184388-58185701230017:52265139014.733.8

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
This makes me wonder if his shot has been affected by injury over the years.
He had one injury that could have possibly affected his shot but it was after he already fell off so the injury is not the cause of him falling off and after the injury he continued to produce the same he had before the injury. He had a wrist injury August 3rd 2020.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad