Patrik Laine

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
What happened to Patrik Laine goal scoring after his first two seasons?

He did really good his first two seasons scoring his first season (2016-2017, 18 years of age) 36 goals in 73 games (on pace for 40 goals) then his second season (2017-2018, 19 years of age) 44 goals in 82 games coming in 2nd for most goals in the league then after that he hasn't been able to put up those goal scoring totals since. The next season (2018-2019, 20 years of age) he has a big drop off and only scores 30 goals in 82 games and then never played a full season again but all those seasons he never was on pace for 40 goals in 82 games (2019-2020, 21 years of age) 28 goals in 68 games (lockout season teams playing only 68 to 71 games that depending on which team his played 71) he was on pace for 34 goals in 82 games, (2020-2021, 22 years of age) 12 goals in 46 games (lockout season all teams playing a max of 56 games, He played on game for the jets then was traded to the blue jackets and played the rest of his games there) he was on pace for 21 goals in 82 games, (2021-2022, 23 years of age) 26 goals in 56 games that put him on pace for 38 goals in 82 games (the closest he would ever get to 40 goals), (2022-2023, 24 years of age) 22 goals in 55 games puts him on pace for 33 goals in 82 games, (2023-2024, 25 years of age) 6 goals in 18 games that puts him on pace for 27 goals in 82 games.

Just in case anybody brings up the fact he has had injuries and healthy scratches , I know he has had injuries in the past but none of them were career altering or career ending injuries and I don't know the reasons behind the healthy scratches but if you know let me know.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Well for a little while there he tried to be the typical 21-year-old superhuman getting by on 4 hours of sleep a night. After he bounced back, injuries started piling up. You can have a deadly shot but you still need to get kind of open to use it.

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
Well for a little while there he tried to be the typical 21-year-old superhuman getting by on 4 hours of sleep a night. After he bounced back, injuries started piling up. You can have a deadly shot but you still need to get kind of open to use it.
what do you mean by he need to get open and he probably didn't continue only getting 4 hours asleep so what about he did it.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Jets had a good power play back then and once the league teams figured out how to block the pass to Laine for his one timer …

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
Jets had a good power play back then and once the league teams figured out how to block the pass to Laine for his one timer …
it might be that but i feel like it wasn't because ovi wasnt able to continue scoring on his power play and they have similar power plays and they both score alot from the left circle off the one-t. But also laine isnt ovi and doesn't have his shot.

Crazy thing is in his third season he was primed to win the Rocket. He had a 5 goal game and 17 goals in the month of November. Starting in December he totally disappeared and has never been the same since.
I think it happened after that 5 goal game against the Blues.

At that point he had 19 goals in his first 22 games.

He only scored 11 goals in his final 60 games of the season.

He never hit 30 goals in a season after that.
from the start of the season till their last game of november (the 29th) he had 21 goals in 24 games which put him on pace for 72 goals and from the start of the season to the games 5 goal game (including it by the way) he is on pace for 71. He probably dosen't get that, he probably would have got 60 something also he had a 4 game goal streak where he socred 11 goals in those 4 games being the 5 goal game a hattrick and 1 goal game and 2 goal game.

Now him winning the richard is a maybe because he would have got 55 to 65 goals, it says 72 goal pace but he had just been a really good hot streak so its like a super hot streak especially since he had a 5 goal game so it makes the goal totals higher, he would have slowed down enough tho to where there would have been a signifigant drop of pace putting him on a 55 to 65 goals pace, if u remove the 5 goal game that puts him at 16 goals in 23 games which puts him at 57 goal pace or if you keep the game but remove the 5 goals its a 55 goal pace, the 5 goal game really helped and the chance of him getting another one are slim so even if he does have another hot streak his goal pace would have still dropped to around 65-55 goals becuase he mostly like doesn't have a 5 goal game. also ovi and pasta where on pace for 58 (ovi) and 56 (pasta) they probably would have got 60 or more so it would have been close between the 3 of them but i think ovi would have won it because laine would have slowed down a good bit and ovi i think just ends up getting more than pasta, (also ovi goal pace (58) is higher than laines even if u remove the 5 goal game that puts him at 16 goals in 23 games which puts him at 57 goal pace or if you keep the game but remove the 5 goals its a 55 goal pace and higher than pasta which had a 56 but i think they all get 60 but ovi wins.

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
I feel I’ve read this thread about 8-9 times before. Let’s pile on again…
just wanted more up to date opinions now that he has a a new team and chance to have a fresh start and maybe get back to what he used to be or even better and put up 50 goal maybe even 60 goal season highly unlikely tho he does either. Also just a question i had didn't know it was already a thread.

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
I think it happened after that 5 goal game against the Blues.

At that point he had 19 goals in his first 22 games.

He only scored 11 goals in his final 60 games of the season.

He never hit 30 goals in a season after that.
Can you tell me what the thing that happened was?

He had players that helped him be a sniper, found out he's not the the sniper he thought he was.

Wpg players still helping other be good players, to bad for Laine.
So basically he thought he was ovi but he learned the only thing he has is the shot and he needs teammates to set him up or he cant score goals.

the reason I said ovi is because ovi is his idol

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny HFBOARDS

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
Too one dimensional of a player. He's the modern day Rick Nash.
so the only thing he has is a good shot and good hands.

Crazy thing is in his third season he was primed to win the Rocket. He had a 5 goal game and 17 goals in the month of November. Starting in December he totally disappeared and has never been the same since.
why did he fall off and why hasn't he been able to get back to that level of play since?

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Things were fine through two years and by the end of his time in Winnipeg, teammates and coaches could not get him out fast enough.

It took far less time in Columbus for those feelings to appear.

Not saying it can't or won't work in Montreal but he needs to make changes.

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
Things were fine through two years and by the end of his time in Winnipeg, teammates and coaches could not get him out fast enough.

It took far less time in Columbus for those feelings to appear.

Not saying it can't or won't work in Montreal but he needs to make changes.
but why did he fall off after his first 2 seasons and why hasn't he been able to get back to that level of play since?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Thought he proved to himself he’s the best goal scorer ever and decided to call it a day.

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
This hit seemed to change Laine’s style into a much more passive and hesitant one than before. A lot of Jets fans thought this really impacted him.

It didn't impact him, before the hit if we include the game he got hit he had 21 goals in 42 games which put him on pace for 41 goals in 82 games and and the rest of the games he played he had 15 goals in 31 games which puts him on pace for 39 goals in 82 games and if we dont include the game he gets hit that gives him 21 goals in 41 games which put him on pace for 42 goals in 82 games and then for the rest of the games he played 15 goals in 31 games which put him on pace for 39 goals in 82 games. The numbers he put up that season 36 goals in 73 games puts him on pace for 40 goals and if we dont include the game he got hit its 36 goals in 72 games which puts him on pace 41 goals in in 82 games, and taking away the game matters because although he played that game he still had 14 minutes left to play were he could have scored one goal or more but he didnt get the chance because he left after the hit and since he didnt get to play the full game im removing it so it doesnt count against him since he didnt get the full game to try and score one goal or more. So he was on pace to put to up almost the same amount goals before the hit (21 goals 42 games on pace for 41 goals in 82 games thats including the game he got hit, not including the game he got hit 21 goals 41 games on pace for 42 goals in 82 games) , after the hit (15 goals 31 games on pace for 39 goals in 82 games thats including the game he got hit, not including the game he got hit 15 goals 31 games on pace for 39 goals in 82 games), and the pace he was on based off the numbers he did put up during the season (36 goals in 73 games on pace for 40 goals in 82 games including the game he got hit and 36 goals 72 games on pace 41 goals in 82 games not including the game he got hit) so his play afterwards was not impacted by the hit. Also he put 44 goals in 82 games so he put up about the same amount goals he was on pace to put the last season before the hit (21 goals 42 games on pace for 41 goals in 82 games thats including the game he got hit, not including the game he got hit 21 goals 41 games on pace for 42 goals in 82 games) , after the hit (15 goals 31 games on pace for 39 goals in 82 games thats including the game he got hit, not including the game he got hit 15 goals 31 games on pace for 39 goals in 82 games), and the pace he was on based off the numbers he did put up during the season (36 goals in 73 games on pace for 40 goals in 82 games including the game he got hit and 36 goals 72 games on pace 41 goals in 82 games not including the game he got hit) so the hit didn't impact his play the next season.

(when i say including the game he got hit I mean the games all the games to when he got hit and including that game and then after the hit when i say including the game he got im just saying it so you know which one is which. Then when i say not including the game he got hit i mean every game up till the game he got hit and we take the whole game away he got hit as if he didn't play it, then after the hit when i say including the game he got im just saying it so you know which one is which),

Since it wasn't the hit that impacted him do you know if theres another reason he fell off?

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheelhockey

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
can people please respond to my thread, I just want some people to talk about hockey with.

Please do not bump threads for the sole purpose of cultivating activity.

It's not fair to the other threads on this subforum - you're kicking them down a slot because you believe yours to be more important.

Reactions: SoupNazi

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
Please do not bump threads for the sole purpose of cultivating activity.

It's not fair to the other threads on this subforum - you're kicking them down a slot because you believe yours to be more important.
i dont think mine is more important, im just was asking, i wasnt trying to bump it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Laine's been short circuited by injuries. When healthy he's generally played at a PPG pace. That said, he's never really hit the goal scoring heights most expected of him. Maybe a better all-around scorer than he's been given credit for, but not as good a goal scorer. Kind of reminds me of Phil Kessel in that regard.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad