Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fatbiggie

Unregistered User
Jul 30, 2005

*Slowly getting over to stage 5*

1727823801588.gif

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
we need @VirginiaMtlExpat to chime in with his Good Will Hunting diagnosis. Now I'm thinking they blew the diagnosis and after a month they will say 'oooops he does need surgery'

PTSD from all the mismanaged treatments over the years :(
Honestly, I have no idea how Laine got off so lightly. I'm assuming that the diagnosis was made and confirmed by radiologists with vast experience with knee MRIs. Some of the physicians here like Michou can weigh in.

I was prescient in my comments this summer about the need of the Habs to do more for injury prevention, with a full-time biomechanics expert. Who might look at plays of extreme vulnerability (splitting the defense with AHLers or known thugs), such as ironmen like Suzuki wouldn't do, and wean Habs from these. Who might tweak the boards for a less stiff response. Who would implement training for injury prevention. Who might develop a light, tough prosthetic to better tolerate knee on knees, and so on. Molson certainly can afford one or two.

Reactions: rve24

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Honestly, I have no idea how Laine got off so lightly. I'm assuming that the diagnosis was made and confirmed by radiologists with vast experience with knee MRIs. Some of the physicians here like Michou can weigh in.

I was prescient in my comments this summer about the need of the Habs to do more, with a full-time biomechanics expert. Who might look at plays of extreme vulnerability (splitting the defense with AHLers), such as ironmen like Suzuki wouldn't do. Who might tweak the boards for a less stiff response. Who would implement training for injury prevention. Who might develop a light, tough prosthetic to better tolerate knee on knees, and so on. Molson certainly can afford one or two.

Lets hope the diagnosis is correct and they didn't miss anything

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Well, technically, you have have a knee sprain without any tear at all. But, to your point, saying it's a "knee sprain" doesn't mean there aren't partial or even complete tears.
Yeah grade 1 means stretch/minimal tear of ligament fibre, but if he’s gone for 2/3 months it means it’s grade 2 which means incomplete tear

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
These days, it may be feasible to identify a tear with deep learning, so that the early adopters among radiologists will soon regularly outperform their recalcitrant colleagues. Especially in an AI city like Montreal.
yeah, lets hope it all works out

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
The pop when he gets announced at his first game at the Bell Centre is going to be some Stone Cold Steve Austin shit.
They gotta add that to the Playlist!
Would work with X also.........maybe they come out together n Crack a beer lol

RandR

May 15, 2011
The Habs press release on nhl.com says Laine has a “left knee sprain”. Just to clear some of the confusion about what that means, here is what the Merck Medical Manual says about sprains:

Sprains are tears in ligaments (strains are tears in muscles)

Tears in ligaments or muscles may be graded as
  • 1st degree: Minimal (fibers are stretched but intact, or only a few fibers are torn)
  • 2nd degree: Partial (some to almost all fibers are torn)
  • 3rd degree: Complete (all fibers are torn)

Overview of Sprains and Other Soft-Tissue Injuries

Btw, the press release didn’t say which knee ligament(s) were torn.

In any case, being out for only 2-3 months is great news. It looked far worse than that.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The Habs press release says he has a “left knee sprain”. Just to clear some of the confusion about what that means, here is what the Merck Medical Manual says about sprains:

Overview of Sprains and Other Soft-Tissue Injuries

Btw, the press release didn’t say which knee ligament(s) were torn.

In any case, being out for only 2-3 months is great news. It looked far worse than that.
With Seravalli’s tweet about awaiting opinion of surgery or no surgery combined with Gorton mentioning on the podcast they’re awaiting a 2nd opinion leads me to speculate it’s somewhere towards the worst end of a 2nd degree sprain….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad