Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Loaded question but mostly good personally, though as a Habs fan I feel deflated. You?
Great on all fronts

As much as I was looking forward to the additions of Laine, Hutson and Dach playing havoc in the Atlantic, I try to see the positive side that the team will be nearer to its completion next year and we might add one more big talent along the way.

Reactions: DAChampion

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Rebuilding is one thing if players buy into it. Let's not forget that these athletes are the best at their craft in the world and didn't get that way by being ok with losing. These guys want to play meaningful games.
I'd bet money they are more interested in winning the cup than playing meaningful games.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The core players have been acquired in
2019 (Nick, Cole)
2020 (Guhle)
2021 (Roy)
2022 (Slaf, Dach, Lane)

This is the rebuild. We're not in year 3, we're at the very best in year 5, I'd say year 6 because the true accumulation started in 2018 with KK, Romanov)

There's a load of core players still missing. The hole was created when Price and Weber left and that hole is still wide open. You can arbitrarily chose any point in time, but this entire thing is about asset base and that asset base cratered 3 years ago, not before, not after, and it's that hole we have to fill (in terms of overall talent, not the exact positions).

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I'd bet money they are more interested in winning the cup than playing meaningful games.

but like it's not black and white, you don't go from dogshit top 5 pickers to cup finalist in a year, you build a core by being dogshit and then pull yourself up the standings by adding to that core and that doesn't mean picking top 5 until we have everything we need

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
fact is your posting is incoherent.
You’re mistaking YOUR inability to comprehend, with my ability to express myself.

What I said was pretty clear and can be verified.

What you do with it, is up to you.
One could say that a rebuilding team that has 1 single player not from "tanking" is a team that isn't built from tanking, yet it is an useless comment.

You were trying to make a point that you thought was clever but it was not.
My post wasn’t intended to be clever or thought provoking. It was a basic as possible, you can go verify for yourself if you don’t believe me lol it’s not anything I fabricated, it’s not based on feelings (like your take for example, that every single team bar 2 have won as a direct result of tanking) my takes are based on facts.

What you’re trying to do here, is piss in the wind and you’re trying to convince me it’s rain.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
The forever tankers are such a weird breed. Cheering for a team to be bad every year so they can have a chance at drafting a player that might be good. But not too good or else we can't keep tanking. It never ends. I was excited to finally have something worth watching again.

I don't give a shit about the 2025 draft. The player we draft won't be here making an impact for 3 years at least. At a certain point people will become disinterested and tune out. That goes for the players too. That's how you end up like Dvorak, who im not convinced even likes being a hockey player anymore.

We dont want Suzuki to be 33 when we are entering our cup window.

Whatever your field or salary is, just imagine waking up to go lose every day. I couldnt do it. Hell if I dont perform at my job I hate it. Imagine being bad in front of millions for 10 years.

Reactions: DAChampion

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There's a load of core players still missing. The hole was created when Price and Weber left and that hole is still wide open. You can arbitrarily chose any point in time, but this entire thing is about asset base and that asset base cratered 3 years ago, not before, not after, and it's that hole we have to fill (in terms of overall talent, not the exact positions).
It's about building a core, the team has been and is still in an accumulation phase. If you're not spending assets and are accumulating, you're rebuilding. Of course there's a need to define "assets" and I'd say it needs to be "significant assets" 2nd rounders +.

Year 5, 4 or 3, we need to see progress. Fans, GM, players. We need progress.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
:confused: MSL is mad at the NHL . I don't blame him.
how does a penalty fix the issue, this is beyond a penalty

Kinda funny that people take it as "not good", when I feel like the fact he's putting a little weight on his leg and walking around with an articulated brace means it doesn't require a totally knew reconstruction...which is good.
how you are so right

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's as if people think tanking is the only way to add talent. It might be the most simple way, but it comes with downsides, especially to the young players currently on the roster.
See a few posts above. Some people not only think it’s the only way to add talent…but they thing that’s the only way you can win a Cup lol

It’s sad to actually still believe that in 2024.

When you’re team sucks, you tend to draft high…but that’s a means to an end, it’s not a strategy that teams try to employ over multiple years to one day snap their fingers together and decide they’re going to win a Cup.

Might be how it works on your NHL Playstation franchise..but that’s not how it works in real life.

When all you do is plan for losing, you end up being what you’ve prioritized. Once you’ve bottomed out, the singular goal should always be to try to not be in that position again.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You’re mistaking YOUR inability to comprehend, with my ability to express myself.

What I said was pretty clear and can be verified.

What you do with it, is up to you.

My post wasn’t intended to be clever or thought provoking. It was a basic as possible, you can go verify for yourself if you don’t believe me lol it’s not anything I fabricated, it’s not based on feelings (like your take for example, that every single team bar 2 have won as a direct result of tanking) my takes are based on facts.

What you’re trying to do here, is piss in the wind and you’re trying to convince me it’s rain.
You stated the obvious.

How else do you want me to react?

Damn, you mean to tell me that a team won't build 100% by draft picks? Genius.

• Haha
Reactions: sampollock and Habs

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It's about building a core, the team has been and is still in an accumulation phase. If you're not spending assets and are accumulating, you're rebuilding. Of course there's a need to define "assets" and I'd say it needs to be "significant assets" 2nd rounders +.

Year 5, 4 or 3, we need to see progress. Fans, GM, players. We need progress.

We've alread had a 21 points progress in the last two seasons, which is massive. This adamant and desperate need for better results is just as misguided as full-on tanking.

We'll progress as the youth progresses and gets added. No more, no less.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
See a few posts above. Some people not only think it’s the only way to add talent…but they thing that’s the only way you can win a Cup lol
Nobody thinks that.

If you were a mineral, you'd be Osmium, and not for its extreme rarity.

We've alread had a 21 points progress in the last two seasons, which is massive. This adamant and desperate need for better results is just as misguided as full-on tanking.

We'll progress as the youth progresses and gets added. No more, no less.
Can the team only progress naturally with draft picks getting better? No need for any GM input?

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
So somehow Laine is good enough that if he’s injured we are back to being a bottom team but not good enough to help a rebuilding team get better. Some sound logic by people who don’t really think.

I think people are just miffed we are still a 2 line team, with or without Laine. Without Laine we are a 1.5 line team to be fair.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Great on all fronts

As much as I was looking forward to the additions of Laine, Hutson and Dach playing havoc in the Atlantic, I try to see the positive side that the team will be nearer to its completion next year and we might add one more big talent along the way.
I think it's a blessing in disguise probably. Sucks for Laine but there was a little bit too much optimism toward the next season imo. Laine's injury will make life easier for KH when it will be the time to take decisions for the next 5-6 years. We were never going to compete for a playoffs spot this season imo. Now it will be easier to send kids to the AHL and Europe and sell at the deadline and wait next summer to compete after adding another talent in the next draft either via drafting or trading.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Laine able to put some weight on his leg and seems to be in a good mood at practice.

This got to be some good news all things considered right? It’s encouraging that his season might not be over.
it would seem to indicate it is not broken.... ? Right? Any Dr Recchi's here?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You stated the obvious.

How else do you want me to react?
By not missing the obvious.
Damn, you mean to tell me that a team won't build 100% by draft picks? Genius.
No, I just want you to not make statements like “every Cup winner is the result of tanking”.

Has nothing to do with being a “genius”…it has to do with just saying things that make sense, rather than parroting tired and lazy narratives.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad